Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Being at peak when needed---720

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: IIM Calcutta - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.51
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Being at peak when needed---720 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 00:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All, I took my gmat last Saturday. When the scorecard read 720 ( q50, v38), I was bit surprised in two ways. First was, when I noticed score 50 in quant. I expected it to be 51, no less than that. However, I was surprised for the second time when I saw my verbal score, 38. This is the best score for me in verbal, EVER. Smiled like madhuri dixit, when I saw my overall score. :P

So here is the brief, how I progressed from first mock GMAT ( 540, as far I remember) to Final main GMAT 720 :-D .

Mar 2011: Was working in my first company. I was working in the same project for 2.5 years now. It felt really boring with all the routine tasks. Wanted to come out of my comfort zone, so took the gamble and moved to bench from the project. On bench, I studied hard for about one month, for the GMAT and for my job area. Given some job interviews for companies and enrolled for one GMAT class. At the end of one month, I had two offers. One with a very good ( yes, very good indeed) hike. :-D So I pushed myself to catch the bird in hand, left the hope for the one in bush. Switched my company and moved to new place. New company, new project, new city and new set of people. Life became full of enjoy. Forgot about GMAT for some time.

Dec 2011: I was in touch with my batch mates from that GMAT coaching class. Those friends serially updated me about their scores, and also asked me abt my preparation. At this point, I calculated my position for appearing in the test. In my new company, the project was still in start phase. I thought to utilize the opportunity and complete the GMAT thing. This is where I actually started serious preparation. I started to collect all the required material. Came here, the sacred place for GMAT, gmatclub, and few other sites, (one which has a logo of smiling green monster :) ). I knew my problem area was Verbal, so I devoted my entire preparation it. I left the quant on the previous prep and the mock tests. The material, I zeroed in on, was:
1. Official Guide 12e.
2. Official Guide for Verbal 2e.
3. Manhattan GMAT SC.
4. Manhattan GMAT RC.
5. Powerscore CR bible.
6. Kaplan 800
and most imp: gmatclub

Starting from mid-jan-12 to mar-12, I went through all the above materials, one by one. Completed SC book 2 time. In the march end, I started getting comfortable with the concepts. However, again, I started procrastinating the actual test date. Finally on in mid-april, I took 1 week leave and booked the test date as last Sat of april. For last 3 days of my preparation, I revised the formulas and verbal concepts. Not even touched a single mock test for these 3 days. On last day, took fultoo rest, went to check the exact location of my GMAT test center, and bought chocolates :lol:

On TEST Day: I reached exam center 1 hr before the schedule. The center admins completed all the formalities and guided me to the test room. Started with some positive thought in the mind. Breezed through the AWA section and opted for the break. I thought the 8 minute break was too small, and came back hurriedly. The waiting timer read 4: 45 mins remaining. I smiled at myself for not using the break completely and started with the quant section. This has been my comfortable area ever since my school days. So I was damn sure to complete this before the mentioned 75 mins and with good accuracy. In all the mock tests, I had been completing this in 40-45 mins ( yes, with half an hour to go), with score of 50/51. After question number 20 or so , I forced myself to slow down. Yet completed the section with clock reading more than 17 mins to go. Again took the break and had the chocolates :-D .
Now started with my historically problematic area. I put all kind of good thoughts in me and kept attempting the questions. Completed the section with just 10 sec remaining. In then end, filled those the background verification questions, and clicked on show my report. Just stayed calm, but when I read overall score as 720, smiled as broadly as I could. This is far better than the best score I received, ever. 'Citi moment of success'.

Now the gyaan part:
1. Finding your comfort zone and problem zone is half the preparation done. I always believe, If you can zero-in on the question, you will easily find the answer.
2. Take proper rest before the actual test. Your mind need proper gap, before you face the actual battle.
3. The material in books and at sites like gmatclub is very very good. Help yourself to clear your doubts in your problem areas.
4. Time yourself well. I realized this, after not utilizing my break.
5. Last point and most imp: In case, you have scored bad or not feeling confident before the test. Always keep in mind, this is like any other test in the world. If you can perform good, it is better. But this is not the end of the world. Nobody is going to make you king if you score well, and nobody is going to execute you for a bad score. You just need one good performance for shadow all your previous failures. Keep faith in yourself. You are His unique creation.

PS: I am attaching my mock score repository here. In case you are not scoring well, please have a look. You will really feel better.
Attachments

GMAT-Scoreboard.png
GMAT-Scoreboard.png [ 17.27 KiB | Viewed 3826 times ]

rps,
GMAT: 720 ( Q50, V38)

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Being at peak when needed---720 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 02:26
CONGRATULATIONS! I really feel encouraged after looking at the improvement u made :D I have my test tommorrw and am really , really scared....all the best for ur apps!!!
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 300 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Being at peak when needed---720 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 03:07
Hey man, a big congo to you. What a superb jump in verbal section.
Thanx for posting ur debrief.
I like ur disappointment about quant

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Being at peak when needed---720 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 05:31
Hey
heartiest congratulations....
Good luck for your apps part
I am in the same condition same score i am getting hope i can also be lucky like you :)
could you please share your verbal accuracy (SC CR and RC) ?
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Being at peak when needed---720 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 08:31
Congrats man !!

I'm curious to know how were the RC passages ? Were they similar to the ones in the OG ? Also where exactly in the verbal section did you get your RC passages ?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

Re: Being at peak when needed---720 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 00:03
rajendrasi, this is a nice score that you have been able to accomplish and I noticed that for your practice test scores, you did not score above a 700. Wow, I am guessing the rest days made the difference. I am also hoping for a similar result of success, as I am also slogging through the tests, and working hard on achieving a score of over 700.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 38

Re: Being at peak when needed---720 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 06:38
Wow..you touched 700 1st time on the real gmat exam - super encouraging !!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: IIM Calcutta - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.51
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Being at peak when needed---720 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 01:21
@all: thanks guys. Wish you all the best for your attempts. As I said, just believe you can do this. you will come out flying colors :)
@sandeeepsharma: hey, i was having very poor accuracy in SC and RC ( read it <30% in OG), but after completing MGMAT guides for SC and RC, the accuracy reached ~70%. I have done SC guide twice.

~rps.

rps,
GMAT: 720 ( Q50, V38)

Re: Being at peak when needed---720   [#permalink] 15 May 2012, 01:21