Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Being Held Back By Quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

Being Held Back By Quant [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 12:10
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone who has experienced this could help out- I've been studying pretty regularly since late December. I am scheduled to take the test on April 20. I can consistently score quite well on the verbal, with RC maybe having some room to improve. However, Quant is kicking my ass. It's one thing to sit, relaxed, and work out of the official guide but doing the mock exams have me a bit worried. I freeze up or just guess a lot with quant.

Is there a back to basics book you'd recommend for me? I could go back to some MGMAT math stuff but the idea of weeding through all that is daunting.

I'm scoring pretty consistent 600's at this point. Which really isn't that bad with about a month left to go. But I wanna feel like the time I'm putting forth is worthwhile because going on 3+ months I have some burnout feelings. If I could ensure a 650 or higher I'd be satisfied.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 114 [1] , given: 12

Re: Being Held Back By Quant [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 16:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

Are there specific math concepts that you are having trouble with? How is your timing? Do you have an error log because then you could target specific areas to focus on. It really helps to target specific areas, study that specific content, and then do a barrage of practice questions in that area. You still may have trouble applying the knowledge on the first practice test but then that question should end up in your error log for review and re-doing.

Have you worked on MGMAT CAT or GMATclub CAT? They are both good in different ways and if used properly can really help you learn certain concepts. The key is to really analyze your wrong answers and even the correct ones that gave you trouble so that you can see if there is a better way of approaching them. Once you get closer to the test it can help the overdose on GMAT prep so that you can see all of the 700 level questions.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Happy Studies,

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5027 [0], given: 164

Re: Being Held Back By Quant [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 20:53
Expert's post
exploringm wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping someone who has experienced this could help out- I've been studying pretty regularly since late December. I am scheduled to take the test on April 20. I can consistently score quite well on the verbal, with RC maybe having some room to improve. However, Quant is kicking my ass. It's one thing to sit, relaxed, and work out of the official guide but doing the mock exams have me a bit worried. I freeze up or just guess a lot with quant.

Is there a back to basics book you'd recommend for me? I could go back to some MGMAT math stuff but the idea of weeding through all that is daunting.

I'm scoring pretty consistent 600's at this point. Which really isn't that bad with about a month left to go. But I wanna feel like the time I'm putting forth is worthwhile because going on 3+ months I have some burnout feelings. If I could ensure a 650 or higher I'd be satisfied.

What's your Quant/Verbal split? Without knowing your current Quant score, it's difficult to say what you need to do. Also, what kind of mistakes do you make under timed conditions? Do you wonder where to start from, do you make calculation errors, do you take too much time on one question and then rush the others, do you find it hard to convert word problems to equations, do you find it hard when they test the concept in a twisted way etc.
Give yourself 20 mins and take a 10 question test. At the end, figure out where you went wrong with each question. Go through the solution and see if you understand it well. If you do, think of why you couldn't do it in the allotted time. That should tell you what is holding you back.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Being Held Back By Quant   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2013, 20:53