Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 May 2004
Posts: 128
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 00:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.

Source: Arco or 1000 Series
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 919
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: chairman [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2009, 08:47
"Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show"
leads us to D
other options dont make sense
source is 1000CR doc(not LSAT ones)
_________________

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 341
Location: Washington DC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
CR from 100 CR. [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 18:18
I have confusion over the right answer, so posting here to brainstorm. Kindly post your answers with explanations.

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.
A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.
Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?
(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Posts: 212
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR from 100 CR. [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 19:22
I have confusion over the right answer, so posting here to brainstorm. Kindly post your answers with explanations.

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.
A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.
Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?
(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.

Oo toughie....
A seemed right, D s.r, E s.r too.

I'll go with A.

Growth need not mean expansion and there is no clear statement that legal proceedings were undertaken.
_________________

-talent is the desire to practice-

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2009
Posts: 212
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR from 100 CR. [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 20:54
it has to be E then.

"all those" does not refer to everyone just those who have and there is a suggestion in stimuli that there are thos that have asked for his resignation.

WAIT! I realise what's wrong with A. Darn it...

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.

The relationship in stimuli is all those who want to control the corporation have asked for his resignation.

(A) is the other way round....

darn it...should have had that...good one....
_________________

-talent is the desire to practice-

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1580
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR from 100 CR. [#permalink] New post 13 May 2009, 23:09
By process of elimination, the answer should be C.

A is wrong as it shows reverse causation. The argument mentions that since people are motivated by...., they demand resignation and not vice versa.

B. not supported by argument.

D. not supported by argument. Argument does mention growth in the past 6 years, but not steady expansion.

E. outside the scope (acquittal).
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2009
Posts: 195
Schools: Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley, INSEAD
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR from 100 CR. [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 22:49

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
Too strong of an inference, he says 'some'.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
Nope. Notice the word 'official duties', he separates his official/criminal activities.
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
Haha! This is the biggest trap answer ever. He says he's innocent... doesn't mean he is.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
Yes this is clearly stated in the passage.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.
Very clearly says he was charged, not acquited.


Final Answer, D.
_________________

Hades

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chairman... [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2009, 03:15
You are all correct: answer is D.

But, can you explain a bit further?

I was with C: the text says that one is innocent until proven guilty. Since no court of law in any state has found the chairman guilty of any criminal offense, the chairman is therefore innocent so C is the one.

Can anybody shed some light in my argument?

Many thanks in advance.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 301
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chairman... [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 14:05
tough one between C and D, but going with D as it does say the corporation has growth in the past 6 years.

in C it did say that he is innocent, but passage he said he was not found guilty in any court, and he believes that he is innocent until found guilty, but that does not suggest whether he is innocent or guilty. thus if option C says "the chairman believes he is innocent" then C is a viable option. otherwise, i would go with D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2009
Posts: 301
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chairman... [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 14:07
acer2knight wrote:
It was close call for me between A and D.

Can someone explain why A cannot be infered here? "Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation"



too strong...it says " ALL individuals"...but the passage says individuals seeking...(which can refer to some individuals who are seeking, or all) so they are not quite the same...so not A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 359
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chairman... [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 22:48
This is an 'Inference' question so the answer cannot be C.
Extracted: "Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever"

Only D is inferred (that is in a way paraphrased from the passage).
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 200
Schools: Stanford...Wait, I will come!!!
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chairman... [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 23:51
noboru wrote:
You are all correct: answer is D.

But, can you explain a bit further?

I was with C: the text says that one is innocent until proven guilty. Since no court of law in any state has found the chairman guilty of any criminal offense, the chairman is therefore innocent so C is the one.

Can anybody shed some light in my argument?

Many thanks in advance.

Chairmain himself says that [A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. ]
No-where Chairman has himself called innocent.Also.. D is the best choice..because it can be inferred properly.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 231
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 15:38
1. Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.
A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.
Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?
(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Chairman. [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 10:51
I ruled out D because of the word "steadily".

From the excerpt relevant to this option: "the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show". The only information I can infer is that corporation had growth. In GMAT, afaik, each word in the inference MUST be justified and option D does not justify the use of word "steadily".
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2009
Posts: 32
Location: Lahore, Pakistan
Schools: going to Melbourne Business School
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Chairman... [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 00:19
I see the same problem between A & D.

argument:

Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation.
Choice A:
The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.

IMO option A is reverse of argument. the word ALL refers to those who have demanded his resignation, and eliminates anyone else, (or thats how I perceived)
I rule out D because it says unbroken growth can not always be the same as steady growth...

I have also heard that 1000 series has some wrong OAs too...
Tuck Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Posts: 312
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 69

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chairman... [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 15:02
Some issues with (D):

Quote:
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.


Stimulus says that "...as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show ... "

1) Even though "growth" = = "expansion", how do we now that company expanded steadily?

2) How do we know that expansion occurred in past 6 years? Stimulus only mentions that there was some unbroken 6-year record, not necessarily previous years.

3) If issues (1) and (2) are cleared, wouldn't (D) be the simple restatement of fact and not inference?

4) What's wrong with (C)?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Feb 2010
Posts: 196
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chairman... [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 20:03
noboru wrote:
OA is D, but can anybody explain a bit?

Thank u


All other statements are given in the passage.

Only for D, you need to look at the words "corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth" and come to the conclusion. Its the only choice where you need to reason. All others are exactly as given in passage.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 131
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chairman... [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2010, 10:20
noboru wrote:
I´m still not catching whats wrong with C...

if we read the heart of the stem, we find that choice C is the outcome of the motivation of the chairman.
chairman is trying to prove that he is innocent this doses not mean that the argument says chairman is innocent.
hope i make some point :)
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chairman... [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2010, 11:02
sandeep25398 wrote:
noboru wrote:
I´m still not catching whats wrong with C...

if we read the heart of the stem, we find that choice C is the outcome of the motivation of the chairman.
chairman is trying to prove that he is innocent this doses not mean that the argument says chairman is innocent.
hope i make some point :)


My point is that the argument says that chairman is innocent, since it says that until proven guilty, everybody is innocent: Chairman has not been proven to be guilty, so he is innocent!

Im still with C!

Please, more light!
Thanks!
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Dec 2009
Posts: 131
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chairman... [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2010, 11:19
noboru wrote:

My point is that the argument says that chairman is innocent, since it says that until proven guilty, everybody is innocent: Chairman has not been proven to be guilty, so he is innocent!

Im still with C!

Please, more light!
Thanks!


what you have mentioned is the stand of chairman not the argument. e.g. if Mr X is addressing to press conference and Mr X tells to media that he is not involved in scandal since he is not proven to be involved in scandal then this statement does not mean that Mr X is really not involved , it's just Mr X stand. we can not infer from the statement that Mr X is not involved in scandal.
on lighter note, I do not know if mentioned analogy became another argument :)
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chairman... [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2010, 11:34
sandeep25398 wrote:
noboru wrote:

My point is that the argument says that chairman is innocent, since it says that until proven guilty, everybody is innocent: Chairman has not been proven to be guilty, so he is innocent!

Im still with C!

Please, more light!
Thanks!


what you have mentioned is the stand of chairman not the argument. e.g. if Mr X is addressing to press conference and Mr X tells to media that he is not involved in scandal since he is not proven to be involved in scandal then this statement does not mean that Mr X is really not involved , it's just Mr X stand. we can not infer from the statement that Mr X is not involved in scandal.
on lighter note, I do not know if mentioned analogy became another argument :)


I see your point and I would agree if it were an opinion for example, but in this case, the fact that the chairman has not been proven guilty by any court is that: A FACT, so, since if you are not proven guilty you are innocent: chairman is innocent. You know what I mean?
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Chairman...   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2010, 11:34
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the ritula 0 28 Feb 2009, 08:57
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the GMATBLACKBELT 0 05 Oct 2007, 19:50
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the crazy123 0 22 Jun 2007, 12:39
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the nakib77 0 25 Sep 2005, 23:03
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the wunderbar03 0 05 May 2005, 02:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8    Next  [ 144 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.