Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.

Source: Arco or 1000 Series
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 41

Re: Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 07:04

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
The word motivated is too extreme... Individuals were seeking to control....not motivated by desire to control..
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
We dont know about that.... There might be few charges based on his personal life.. Also, passage only states that his conduct of officials duties has helped him for success of corporation...
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever.The trial might be in process for few charges... So we can't say whether he is innocent or not.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
Steadily is tempting... But,i'll keep it...
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.
Maybe he is acquitted because of lack of evidence...

IMO its D...

Source: Arco or 1000 Series[/quote]

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 27

Re: Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 09:36
wunderbar03 wrote:
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes. There is a possibility that some of the people that demanded the chairman's resignation might have no interest in obtaining control of the corporation. If all was replaced by some then the answer would be correct. In inference questions, I recommend avoiding answer choices that contain "all", "most", etc
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation. chairman never mentions that he did anything wrong
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense. passage never mentions that the chairman is innocent
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years. came from passage, correct answer
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal. we don't know if this has happened yet

Source: Arco or 1000 Series

Please give me kudos if my post has helped you :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 22:17
A and D are clearly stated in the passage , hence cannot be inferred. This leaves us with only option B. If the rule of elimination were to be followed, B is the best choice.
Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 18

Re: Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 11:38
A seems extreme to me. Only D can be inferred.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 137

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2014, 09:07
Does acquittal mean "not proven guilty" in this case.Should it not be E then?I'm confused :(
Re: Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2014, 09:07