Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.

Source: Arco or 1000 Series
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2005, 19:17
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2005, 23:16
A - Wrong inference.
B - Assumes that he has committed an offence.
C - Assumes that chairman is innocent.
D - Incorrect.
E - Only correct conclusion.

Hence 'E'.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2006, 16:29
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Guilty Chairman [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2006, 04:33
Can any of you help me out with this?

Explanations would be greatly appreciated!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2006, 05:41
i would go with A. The only ones that really stand out for me are A and D however in D it says that the corp has expanded steadily ... the passage says that it has grown but does not say anything about how steady the growth was. A. however is supported by the second sentence in the passage.

My third choice would be E. But the statement in the passage says that no court has found him guilty ... this however doesn’t mean that the courts found him not guilty could mean that he never went to court at all.

Im not 100 % sure would love to see the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2006, 08:49
C.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

I am little flustered with CR inference questions. How far [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2006, 11:12
I am little flustered with CR inference questions. How far can you go answering them without going out of scope. For Ex the following is an inference question in the CR_1000 document I got from this forum.

What do you think is the answer and please explain why. For the sake of not biasing anyone I will tell the correct answer later.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2006, 12:57
^ D ^

"Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation."

This is what the argument says.

A says the opposite- "all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes." So A cannot be the answer.

"..as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show,.." ---> this is where we can infer D from.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2006, 16:05
C.

This cannot be inferred because stmt 2 says:
A->B. We cannot infer B->A

Never implied in the argument.

Keep.
innocent until guity means: not guilty -> innocent. Once of the premise declares he is not proven guilty for criminal offence (yet). Offcourse its all in American tradition :)

Steadily??

ONLY criminal proceeding. Not ALL.

PS: kripalkavi, please look at the posting guidelines. For example, it is helpful to specify question category (CR/SC/RC) in the subject line.

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2006, 17:36
I thought the answer is E. But the actual answer is D.

I remember reading in Kaplan that for inference questions your have go further than whats mentioned in the passage. Answer D seems like its just restating whats said in the argument.

can anyone please explain?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

fact and inferrence [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2006, 06:47
I chose C in the beginning but now believe D is right answer.

Inference is adding just a little more to what we know. We only know that the company is growing judging from its 6 year growth rate. In this repect, we can infer that the company is steadily expanding.

what do you think of my explanation? :oops:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 07 May 2006, 13:19

(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal

Please explain. Please don't put A, B, C....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 May 2006, 00:56
I go with D too.

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes. - This is directly stated.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation. - We dont know that.
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense. - The courts have not charged him. That does not mean he is innocent
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years. - This can be inferred.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal - Only criminal proceedings have resulted in acquital.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 May 2006, 22:51
I think it should be C.
Since individual is considered innocent until proven guilty, and no court has found him guilty, the chairman is considered innocent.

See the trap in A.
It is possible that not all individuals who demanded his resignation are seeking control.

What is OA?
Intern
Intern

Re: CR - Corporation [#permalink] New post 11 May 2006, 03:55
(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes. - Mentioned explicitly in the first sentence
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation. - No mention of misdeeds or "cover-up" for the ultimate goal of success for the corp
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense. - He might be guilty of other things and besides nothing mentioned about criminal offense
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years. - EXANDED vs. GROWTH. Growth could be caused by other things also
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal - No mention of a legal accusation on the chairman for an acquittal
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 11 May 2006, 04:49
Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

Hence D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Corporation [#permalink] New post 11 May 2006, 08:29
I guess the answer is A

[quote="gmat_crack"]Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal

According to this sentence "Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation.", we can infer that The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes

I once also pointed out answer D
but this cannot be sured, as this is just the chairman's assertion, not a proven truth..

what is OA? pls~

Last edited by pretttyune on 11 May 2006, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 May 2006, 05:37
I agree with neither with E nor with B.

A is close but the pasage never stated "All"

D is the best. "unbroken growth record"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 May 2006, 18:46
A - Not an inference as it's stated clearly in the questions stem
B - Definitely out.
C - Can't sure that for sure. The court couldn't find him guilty, but it doesn't mean he is free of any criminal act.
D - Can't equate expansion with growth.

E is the best choice. We're only told that no court of law has found him guilty. This can lead to mean that any legal proceedings taken against the chairman has only resulted in his acquittal.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 May 2006, 04:18
ywilfred wrote:
A - Not an inference as it's stated clearly in the questions stem
B - Definitely out.
C - Can't sure that for sure. The court couldn't find him guilty, but it doesn't mean he is free of any criminal act.
D - Can't equate expansion with growth.

E is the best choice. We're only told that no court of law has found him guilty. This can lead to mean that any legal proceedings taken against the chairman has only resulted in his acquittal.

True we are told that no court of law has found him guilty but for any criminal offence whatsoever. Hence we don't know what other legal proceeding may be going on.
C is correct because
1) he was not convicted of any criminal offense whatsoever.
2) In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty.
Hence C
  [#permalink] 29 May 2006, 04:18