Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.

Source: Arco or 1000 Series
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2006, 01:05
In GMAT an inference is one which is not stated explicitly in the argument and which doesn't go too far either ... Though it was a difficult one but if we look deeply ... Only D can be inferred ... A, B are mentioned explicitly ..they can't be infetrences ... D is not mentioned explicitly ..but you can infer from the statements.

--I never think of future, it comes soon enough!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2006, 16:13
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR - chairman letter [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2006, 21:19
sperinko wrote:

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes. ---> Extreme
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation. ---> Extreme
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense. ---> Extreme
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years. conservatively stated and clearly supported in the passage.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal. ---> Extreme

Classic extreme inference assumption CR.

Scan and eliminate.

(D) survives

1:32
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 07:49
I like B better than D.

D looks like premise .

my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

B is the infer statement from this Passage. I will go for B.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 10:04

A, C, D, E are all within the premise/conclusion of the argument.
Only B extends from the given premise and the conclusion.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 11:14
I chose 'D' first. Upon reading the argument a few more times I think the correct inference is "if the chairman has done anything wrong, then it is motivated by the desire to enhance the sucess of the company".

Another reason for D to be wrong is, it just states what is already stated in the passage and hence not inferred.

What is the OA?

Good is the greatest enemy of great.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 12:18
rnachloo wrote:
I chose 'D' first. Upon reading the argument a few more times I think the correct inference is "if the chairman has done anything wrong, then it is motivated by the desire to enhance the sucess of the company".

Another reason for D to be wrong is, it just states what is already stated in the passage and hence not inferred.

What is the OA?

"Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation. "

cannot be the correct answer, IMO. If the chairman stole something as a little boy and was arrested for it (a valid misdeed), can we attribute it to his desire to enhance the success of the corp? I think not.

Still sticking with D..the closest for me would be E, but it assumes a little too. E assumes that "any legal proceedings" resulted in acquital. The stimulus shows that he was acquited of all "criminal offenses". This means there may have been "non-criminal offenses" for which he was found guilty.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 19:33
My question regarding D is that it states corporation has "expanded steadily". Can we really infer this as it only states in the argument of "unbroken six-year record of growth". I'm thinking here that the growth rate could have been exponential over the 6 years.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
jjhko
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 21:53
I'd go with (A). Some may argue that it sounds extreme because of "all."However, judging from the chairman's statement, it is pretty fair to say that he believes it is the case. This is an objective interpretation of the chairman's subjective opinion.

By the same token, I think (D) can be justified if it is preceded by, for example, " the chairman cites that" or "the chairman believes that"
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 01:16
out - statement says that all wishing taking control want him to resign. Here it is the opposite: those who want him to resign want to take control. False

out- not supported anywhere. Statement says : 1. There are allegation about criminal offenses 2. He did the best for the co. > no link b/w both premises.

out. Neither he says he is innocent nor the statement.

ok - unbroken 6-years => the same.

out- no support for this claim.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 02:41
(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes. - This is already stated. Need not be infered.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation. - There is no mention of this anywhere
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense - There is no mention of this anywhere
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years - ah! This can be infered from 'unbroken six-year record of growth will show'
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal. - Too assumptive
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 03:15
sangarelli wrote:
I think (A) has to be inferred.I dont know wat
(D) means by the 'corporation has been expanding'.

A says: The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes

Dont you think that A is effectively the same as the following section of the passage? - 'Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation.'
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 18:56
E says : Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal - This is an assumption.

We have to look for an inference, not an assumption. Just because the chairman says that he has not yet been found guilty in a court of law, we cannot assume that he will not be found guilty.

I hope this helps you.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 22:23

Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Chairman and Stockholder [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 22:41
ncprasad wrote:
janeml wrote:

A - Very close. But we dont know what if the chairman believes that 'all' are motivated.
B,C and E are mere conjectures.
I think D is the only possible inference.

Prasad, can we take the unbroken six-year as past six years?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 22:45
yes. you can. The argument says that the person is still the chairman and it also says 'unbroken' record for six years.Put these 2 together, you know that the guy is still the chairman and that the record is unbroken. This means the record is for 6 continuous years from the present.

Rephrased as 'past 6 years'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 04:20
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 12:27

both A and D sound like right choices. But, D sounds like the very direct choice.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 12:35
this may be ture if chariman is innocent but we dont know.
we dont know if the chairman in innocent
no clue
what may be the fate of chariman this holds true....so correct
we dont know
Manager
Manager

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 11:27
1. Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

I think the answer is B. Not too sure again
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2007, 11:27