Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.

Source: Arco or 1000 Series
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 12:39
C and E are nowhere close.

A is out because the word "all" is used.

B is out because the paragraph does not say the misdeeds or charges are business or personal

I would go with D. The paragraph says six year of unbroken growth. Expanded means enhance bulk or volume and is directly related to growth while unbroken is directly related to steady as it mean uninterrupted or continuous.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 11:09
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.
A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporations unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

A. The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.

B. Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.

C. The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.

D. The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.

E. Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Chairman [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 12:37
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporations unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

A. The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.

B. Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.

C. The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.

D. The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.

E. Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.

D for the answer

A) too strongly worded - "all" we do not know for sure if this is so
B) this is beyond the scope of the argument, we do not know if the company's record growth was the result of any misdeeds of the chairman
C) the chairman may or may not be, but hasn't been found guilty (maybe later)
D) correct as found in the stem: "as the corporations unbroken six-year record of growth will show"
E) nothing in the stem notes this, we have to assume beyond the scope of what we are told
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR- Chairman [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 13:51
I will go with A.

Individuals seeking to control.....have demanded my resignation.

So chairman thinks all those who demand his regination are motivated to ......

In D , I feel growth does not mean expansion.

Whats the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

i like E [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 14:09
E seems to me to be the answer pretty clearly. D is meant to be a popular wrong answer. problem with d is 'expansion' vs. growth. growth he infers in the passage means a monetary growth. expansion means size. the corporaton may have grown (in terms of where it reaches customers) and sold more product, but not necessarily expanded.

this question is real tough. But I think the distinction is but slight, but there. and E is correct.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

also` [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 14:17
i got a hunch oa might be d, and i would disagree. consider it says 'grown steadily'. that means at the same rate each year. the passage does not infer that. just that it has grown each year. each year could have been quite different in its rate of growth.

very difficult question. i do like E.

i could see e being wrong though because it does not infer his acquittal just that he has not been found guilty - meaning he could still be in the process of several court cases.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

CR - letter from a chairman [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2007, 17:36
Guys, please help me in solving the following CR...

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - letter from a chairman [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2007, 21:47
bulls wrote:

"A" -> "Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation."

-> Can't be inferred
-> Who knows?
-> Steadily? Expanded? <-> unbroken six-year record of growth
(E) Can't be inferred.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - letter from a chairman [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2007, 23:22
GMAT TIGER wrote:
alnasl wrote:
bulls wrote:

"A" -> "Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation."

-> Can't be inferred
-> Who knows?
-> Steadily? Expanded? <-> unbroken six-year record of growth
(E) Can't be inferred.

How about D?

Hard to tell whether it has been expanded steadily.

-6 yr 0.0001% Growth
-5 yr 0.0001% Growth
-4 yr 0.0001% Growth
-3 yr 50% Growth
-2 yr 0.0001% Growth
-1 yr 0.0001% Growth

= unbroken six-year record of growth
=! has expanded steadily over the past six years

BTW, what's the OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - letter from a chairman [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 04:38
bulls wrote:

It's D by POE:
(a) "all those" is to extreme and never mentioned. Statement says only about "Individuals". Probably, somebody wants his resignation for other reasons. We don't know
(b) again, nothing helps us conclude that "any misdeeds". "Any" is too extreme
(c) the same: "innocent of any criminal offense"? We don't know. Maybe he stole a pen from his classmate back in college:)
(d) exactly! "expanded steadily over the past six years" = "corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth"
(e) again, "any" is too extreme. Probably, he was adjudged guilty for stealing the pen:) We don't know.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 0

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 15:16
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Chairman of corporation [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2008, 07:26
Quote:

Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation

Assumption A can be properly inferred from the passage.

Quote:

He doesn't say anything that leads us to believe he even committed any misdeed, much less that he committed them for the good of the company (we don't even know what he's accused of doing! maybe it's embezzling company funds)

Quote:

We don't know whether or not he's innocent, we just know that he hasn't been convicted. He could be guilty of Murder 1 for all we know.

Quote:

the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth
We don't know if it's expanded steadily over the past six years or has had great fluctuations in how much it's grown each year.

Quote:
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal

no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever
Have they? We know none of them have resulted in his conviction, but perhaps they resulted in mistrials or something of that nature. There are more than two outcomes of a trial, we can't assume that because he wasn't convicted he was acquitted.

Answer A

I'd love to get an OA ruling on this one though.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Chairman of corporation [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 22:49
Inference questions are special in that the solutions to these questions directly follow from the passage and generally won’t include any extreme words.

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes. [Intriguing - but goes overboard by stating extreme – “all those who demanded his resignation …” – Eliminate it]

(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation. [Irrelevant to the argument - eliminate it]

(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense. [Hold it]

(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years. [Irrelevant to the argument - eliminate it]

(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal [Irrelevant to the argument - eliminate it]

Answer: C
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 0

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 05:26
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: cr -1000 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 13:38
(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.(Stated in the passge)
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.(Hold It)
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.(Not a good inference)
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.(Stated in he passage
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.(Out of scope)

left with B

OA?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 11:03

Please answer with proper explaination............

Every Problem Has a Sloution So keep working
AB

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: CR-Excerpt from a letter [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 13:10
B.

Here is my reasoning in red next to each answer.

What's the OA?

apurva1985 wrote:

The question states as much so it can't be an inference.

Even though this statement starts outwith "any", it later says "may have committed". The entire answer seems to only make one step from the passage. He passage doesn't state what his motivations were, but it is implied by his reference to the benefit to the company. It's not necessarily true, but it is inferred (in my opinion).

This answer uses the word "any". Generally speaking, when an answer uses such an absolute word, it's a red flag that it is wrong.

Again, the passage actually states as much, so this isn't really an inference.

This goes one step (or more) too far. The passage says nothing about legal proceedings against the chairman, so the next step would be he was acquitted. When thinking of inferences, find something that goes just 1 step further. This goes 1 step to legal proceedings and then a 2nd step to an acquittal from those proceedings.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Excerpt from a letter [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 19:35
Actually I think that D makes sense as I was torn betwen A and D. The CR is asking what can be inferred from the passage:

This comes close in my mind as he states that" Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation" however my reasoning here is that there is no way to infer this includes EVERYBODY...he mentions individuals which could be a few, some or many but by no means all

Absolutely not! There is no way to infer this, the chairman mentions them as two separate reasons

He could be lying his ass off and be behind the next Enron scandal. We can't say he's not guilty just because he says so!

He says "as the corporations unbroken six-year record of growth will show". CLEARLY you dont have to infer much to believe this right? Bingo!

If you came to this conclusion you're thinking about this waaaay too far.

Just remember, at times, as is the case with RC, an inference question only goes as far as you can throw a stick and is very close to something already stated in the passage maybe with a different play on words

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: CR-Excerpt from a letter [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 19:43
actually i disagree with D..

if anything the corp has grown..by record numbers..that is hardly any indication of steady growth..it has grown explosively..

i think A is best..

what is the source of this question.?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Excerpt from a letter [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 19:51
That's a good point, however I think a "six year record of growth" could also mean that yeah the company has grown by 2% or 5% etc a year which even by a compounded effect is not something to write home about.

I think it really comes down to picking between the "lesser evil" here. My main issue with A is the use of ALL which is a big leap of faith from "individuals". One that may be bigger than assuming that a "six year record of growth" equates to "expanded steadily over the past six years"...

Not a fun question that's for sure....
Re: CR-Excerpt from a letter   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2008, 19:51