Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (02:11) correct 70% (01:12) wrong based on 497 sessions
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.

Source: Arco or 1000 Series
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Charges ... [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 02:36
A looks correct. So does D.
B is wrong. The Chairman doesn't mention his "misdeeds".
C is wrong. The Chairman says he's not been "found" guilty. Nither proves he's not guilty, not that he'd been aquitted. Thus E is also wrong.

Unless there's some catch in "unbroken six year record of growth", I'd go for A, which finds a direct mention in the passage.

Any ideas/suggestions/counterviews on this one?

Who says elephants can't dance?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 02:45
Yes both A and D seem fine. But I'll pick D.
The para says,
Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation.

A-> B

But in A. 'who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes'

B-> A
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2005, 06:35
D)..."unbroken six-year record of growth" means that in each of the 6 years the corporation grew. so we can infer a steady growth.

A)...is out because it may be that there are others than the individuals who demanded his resignation.

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2005, 06:39
Folaa3 wrote:
Why not E?
A is explicitly stated in the stem thus it cannot be inferred since it is explicitly stated. Please correct me if i am wrong. I read in the OG that inference questions cannot be directly grabbed from the passage/question stem.
If it is inferred in the stem, does it mean it's an excerpt from the stem?

E)...is out because he was acquitted of criminal offense, but that does not mean that he maybe was convicted for negligence or something else.

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 12:18
I choose (A).
JPV: I don't think (D) is mentioned in the stem. IMO, (D) means that the coy steadily expanded. What if sometime within the 6-yr period, the coy declined, but later on picked-up significantly?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 20:59
D

The question says "the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show". From this steady can be inferred. " Steady growth is not directly mentioned in the question.

"Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation." Choice A restates this part of the question. Hence A is out.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2005, 09:36
1. Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.

(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.

(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2005, 13:31
B for this.

A is directly indicated in the first line of the argument. But why is he saying that because he thinks that even if he did any crime, he did it to help ease the company achieve success.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 07:11
I'll go with C

In this excerpt, the chairman is trying to convince everyone that he is not guilty. None of the other choices come close

A is already stated, in the para, therefore it is not an inference
B We do not know that the chairman committed any crimes, for all you know he might even be innocent.
D Already stated in the para, therefore not an inference
E we do not know the evidence against or for the chairman, and therefore E cannot be inferred

That leaves us with C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 11:20
I am not sure if D should be the answer.

D is kind of stated in the argument itself. An inferrence is not stated, it is implied.

It does look like you can infer choice C, from the argument. But again, C would be more appropriate if it were to be worded as "The chairman is most likely to be innocent"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 07:07
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - 17 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 11:17
B
Far fetched
looks good
(unclear)
(the passage does not say that..though almost appears to be)
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal
again no such thing in the statement

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2005, 03:34
I answered B and it was not convincing really, but D can also be rejected IMO....the statement says among other things the following

........Furthermore, as [b]the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder. [/b]

it says unbroken six-year record of growth, which might mean they are growing steadily for the last six year or have never grown so much before in a span of six year period, and not necessarily be a steady growth jus the overall growth for the six year period..that is how I rejected that...

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2005, 11:01
hmm..... D is something this is stated in the question stem it self and so, i see no point in infering it by any means.

i would rathe go for C 'coz the chairman insinuated that he was not found guilty by any court of law and since any person not found guilty is 'by default' inoocent, hence, the chairman is also innocent.

what say...

Krishna
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 09:36
1. Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

hey ya......

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR #letter from Chairman [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 17:32
D.

A. could be true.
B. dont know.
C. dont know.
D. strongly know.
E. dont know.

its bet A and D. probably D is more plausiable.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 17:44
nakib77 wrote:
I picked A but OA is D.

Can you explain why you didn't pick A.
Thanks.

The letter reads "individuals seeking to control" which is not the same as "all those demanding his resignation" . So, I went for D too!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2005, 07:50
Well my reasoning for this question is as follows
It is mainly between choice A and choice D.

In the argument it is written that Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation.
1. It says that individuals, who want X, demanded Y.
2. Thus there are other individuals, who do not want X, demanded Y.
However the choice A indicates all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
Thus 2 option people also included in the option 1 which makes it wrong choice.

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2005, 04:25
Hi folks,

The OE for this question is D. But, D is mentioned in the passage, and I am not sure if it is an inference. An crisnas mentioned, an inference should be implied and not stated. Can anyone shed some light on this question.

Thanks,
Darth
  [#permalink] 28 Sep 2005, 04:25