Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 05:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (02:10) correct 69% (01:12) wrong based on 482 sessions
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.
(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.
(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.
(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal.

Source: Arco or 1000 Series
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 141 [6] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Chairman. [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

-----------------------
(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes. ---> The passage states that those who wanted to control the corporation for their own use demanded his resignation. This does NOT mean that they were the only ones who demanded his resignation; there may be many other people (with different motives) who would have demanded his resignation.

The statement is actually reversed.

Excerpt states that X --> Y
Option A states that Y --> X, which may not be true.

(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation. ---> We cannot say that his misdeeds were motivated for the wellness of the corporation. Moreover, in the first place, we don't know whether he's guilty. To add to it, 'Any' is an extreme word.

(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense. ---> We cannot conclude this. Acquittal from a court of law does not mean that the person is innocent. Acquittal may have happened due to lack of sufficient evidence against him. The word '...any criminal offence' is again moving to an extreme.

(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years. ---> This statement can be safely inferred from '...corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth...'.

(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal. ---> I feel that the trap here is legal vs. criminal proceedings. IMO, criminal is a subset of legal. That's the only reason I've discarded it otherwise, I found it close.
-----------------------

My choice is option D.

HTH.

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Followers: 268

Kudos [?]: 2299 [3] , given: 692

Re: complete the passage: kindly provide an explanation [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 05:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is a good question and adheres to a good gmat-like question but is not a complete the passage question. It is a must be true question or conclusion

A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation.

In other words: someone tray to discredit someonelse. Untill now eveything is fine.

Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty.

If I'm guilty then I am not innocent and viceversa. Ok

Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

The firm went well (maybe as never before) so my conduct was blameless

A must true question is always something that is unstated in the stimulus and that you can deduce from the passage

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.

Stated in the passage. We already know. Wrong

(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.

True and not. W have not sufficient information from the passage. If you read carefully it , you can see that this is not completely true

We do not know, for sure

This is what we know for SURE. we can infer this from the third sentence or part of the passage, above

An answer that I call filler, fluff.....wrong

D must be the answer. kudos for your good question

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 225 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 3

A number of charges have been raised against me, some [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 03:22
This post received
KUDOS

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR Chairman. [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2009, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
For gmatavenue, at his/her request:

There is in fact NO difference between "inference" and "must be true" on the GMAT (nor on the LSAT, for that matter). The correct answer to an straight Inference question is an answer which MUST be true if the information in the paragraph is true. Even if the wording of the question says "would most likely agree with" or "can be inferred", you must interpret this as "must be true if the statements above are true".

gmatavenue wrote:

"For a must-be-true Q we can restate a premise or conclude on 2-3 premises etc.
But for inference Q , it has to be an external factor which is not directly stated in the premises."

In fact, for any Inference question (whether the exact wording is "must be true" or not), we must find a conclusion which logically follows from 2 or 3 premises. In a few cases, the correct answer is actually a necessary assumption. The "must be true" rule still works for these cases, because if the other evidence in the stimulus is true, and the conclusion in the stimulus is true, then any NECESSARY assumption has to be true as well.

The correct answer must NEVER depend on an external factor which is not stated in the stimulus.

I agree with those who say that this is a badly constructed question. The correct answer appears to be (D), because none of the others logically follow from the paragraph (stimulus). That is, none of them must be true if the paragraph is true. The problem with (D) is that it is actually STATED in the paragraph, rather than being something that we can logically PROVE or DEDUCE from the paragraph. In a proper Inference question, the correct answer is DEDUCED from the information in the paragraph.

I strongly suspect that this is NOT a real GMAT question from the GMAC.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4851 [1] , given: 163

Re: complete the passage: kindly provide an explanation [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 04:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
xahead wrote:

This is a conclusion/inference question. The correct answer would be something already given in the passage or something you can infer without a doubt.
Let's look at each option:

The chairman only says, "Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation."
It is possible that A, B and C are three individuals who are seeking to control the corporation and have demanded his resignation. That makes his statement correct. In addition, there could be others who are not seeking to control the corporation but have demanded his resignation. This will make option (A) incorrect. So we cannot say that the chairman's statement implies that EVERYONE who demanded his resignation is motivated by desire to control the corporation. Note that the chairman's statement only gives you partial information - there is at least one person who wishes to control the corp and has demanded his resignation. The chairman doesn't talk about everyone who wants his resignation.

Not mentioned. His misdeeds and his success as the chairman are two different things.

We cannot infer that. All we can say is that he hasn't been found guilty yet and he will be considered innocent (as of now at least) in the American tradition. Whether he actually is innocent, we can't say.

The corporation has an unbroken six year record of growth. So we can say that the corporation has been expanding for the past six years. Here, I would doubt the 'steadily' part since we don't know whether the growth has been steady (let's say same rate of growth) but considering that no other option comes close to being an inference, I would have to overlook it.

We don't know that. All we know is that no court has found him guilty yet. Perhaps, some cases are still pending and the verdict is not out yet. We cannot say that he has been acquitted in every case.

Answer (D)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Charges ... [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 02:36
A looks correct. So does D.
B is wrong. The Chairman doesn't mention his "misdeeds".
C is wrong. The Chairman says he's not been "found" guilty. Nither proves he's not guilty, not that he'd been aquitted. Thus E is also wrong.

Unless there's some catch in "unbroken six year record of growth", I'd go for A, which finds a direct mention in the passage.

Any ideas/suggestions/counterviews on this one?

Who says elephants can't dance?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2005, 02:45
Yes both A and D seem fine. But I'll pick D.
The para says,
Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation.

A-> B

But in A. 'who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes'

B-> A
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2005, 06:35
D)..."unbroken six-year record of growth" means that in each of the 6 years the corporation grew. so we can infer a steady growth.

A)...is out because it may be that there are others than the individuals who demanded his resignation.

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2005, 06:39
Folaa3 wrote:
Why not E?
A is explicitly stated in the stem thus it cannot be inferred since it is explicitly stated. Please correct me if i am wrong. I read in the OG that inference questions cannot be directly grabbed from the passage/question stem.
If it is inferred in the stem, does it mean it's an excerpt from the stem?

E)...is out because he was acquitted of criminal offense, but that does not mean that he maybe was convicted for negligence or something else.

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 12:18
I choose (A).
JPV: I don't think (D) is mentioned in the stem. IMO, (D) means that the coy steadily expanded. What if sometime within the 6-yr period, the coy declined, but later on picked-up significantly?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2005, 20:59
D

The question says "the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show". From this steady can be inferred. " Steady growth is not directly mentioned in the question.

"Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation." Choice A restates this part of the question. Hence A is out.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2005, 09:36
1. Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.

(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2005, 13:31
B for this.

A is directly indicated in the first line of the argument. But why is he saying that because he thinks that even if he did any crime, he did it to help ease the company achieve success.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 07:11
I'll go with C

In this excerpt, the chairman is trying to convince everyone that he is not guilty. None of the other choices come close

A is already stated, in the para, therefore it is not an inference
B We do not know that the chairman committed any crimes, for all you know he might even be innocent.
D Already stated in the para, therefore not an inference
E we do not know the evidence against or for the chairman, and therefore E cannot be inferred

That leaves us with C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2005, 11:20
I am not sure if D should be the answer.

D is kind of stated in the argument itself. An inferrence is not stated, it is implied.

It does look like you can infer choice C, from the argument. But again, C would be more appropriate if it were to be worded as "The chairman is most likely to be innocent"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 07:07

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - 17 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 11:17
B
Far fetched
looks good
(unclear)
(the passage does not say that..though almost appears to be)
(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal
again no such thing in the statement

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2005, 03:34
I answered B and it was not convincing really, but D can also be rejected IMO....the statement says among other things the following

........Furthermore, as [b]the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder. [/b]

it says unbroken six-year record of growth, which might mean they are growing steadily for the last six year or have never grown so much before in a span of six year period, and not necessarily be a steady growth jus the overall growth for the six year period..that is how I rejected that...

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

[#permalink] 03 Sep 2005, 03:34