Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Below Par Undergraduate School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Below Par Undergraduate School [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 10:04
For certain reasons (athletics, location, family near by) I went to a below par undergrad public college and graduated with a 3.7/4 GPA in business admin con finance. Out of high school, with my GPA, SAT scores and extracurriculars, I could have gone to a tier 1 school but instead chose my undergrad for reasons other than academics (looking back probably not the smartest decision). Now I want to apply to a top business school for a Master’s degree in finance (or finance related depending on what certain schools offer) to make a career switch to I Banking or consulting (currently I work at a top law firm doing client management, long story thought I wanted to go into law). 750 GMAT score, and I had decent finance extracurriculars in undergrad.

Question 1: How does an undergraduate program’s reputation affect admissions?

Question 2: Can I include high school information in my application and perhaps include an essay about my undergraduate college choice?

Thanks for an input
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Below Par Undergraduate School [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 10:22
No need.. 3.7 GPA and if you had good quant scores in UG with 750 gmat you can apply anywhere. I went to a highly ranked regional school in northeast but many here may or may not of heard of it (depends where they live ;P)... and it didn't impede on my acceptance to CBS. The GPA + GMAT offset the name of school. If you had a 3.0 it'd be a different story. Goodluck

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Below Par Undergraduate School   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2011, 10:22