Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Benefits of a Post-Bacc Program.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Benefits of a Post-Bacc Program. [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 20:23
Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice on a Post-Bacc program. I went to a decent private university in Washington DC. I'm graduating with a decent but not stellar GPA over 3.0. As a politics major, I feel like my quantitive background is not strong enough for a good business school. I wanted to enroll in a post-bacc program at Columbia or Northwestern for a year to strengthen my application. Any advice on how this helps? Would the transition be easy (Read: Easier) from the post-bacc program to the business school at the actual university? Any tips would be beneficial.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Yale SOM 2015!
Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 180
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Benefits of a Post-Bacc Program. [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 07:14
UsmanJazab wrote:
Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice on a Post-Bacc program. I went to a decent private university in Washington DC. I'm graduating with a decent but not stellar GPA over 3.0. As a politics major, I feel like my quantitive background is not strong enough for a good business school. I wanted to enroll in a post-bacc program at Columbia or Northwestern for a year to strengthen my application. Any advice on how this helps? Would the transition be easy (Read: Easier) from the post-bacc program to the business school at the actual university? Any tips would be beneficial.


Bad news: you're almost definitely not gonna get into the MBA programs at Columbia or Northwestern without at least 2-3 years of full-time work experience, post bacc enrollment aside.

Good news: you can probably forget about the post bacc entirely (and save a ton of money and time in the process), particularly if the only reason is to be in the running for a top MBA. From personal experience, the main use I've seen for a post bacc is in the pre-med area, where specific coursework is required. B-school admissions are a very, very different story.

There are two things you need to focus on right now if you haven't already: getting a selective, professional job that will challenge you (I am purposely vague here--this could be anything from Peace Corps, to working at a start-up, non-profit or government agency, to going to more "traditional" pre-MBA route: finance or consulting) and kicking butt on the GMAT.

If you get a very strong quant score on the GMAT, you may be able to forgo additional coursework altogether. A 3.0 will be on the lower end for top schools, but isn't so low as to require an additional degree. Plenty of people who majored in liberal arts subjects get into business school (myself included).

Good luck!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Benefits of a Post-Bacc Program. [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 08:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Agreed with lb2015. Depending on what jobs you're considering, a post bacc just to improve quant skills/"strengthen" potential MBA application isn't worth it. You need a career plan/direction first.

If you want a [super-quant job] and need to strengthen your quant skills, then getting an analytics degree (or something similar) could be helpful. The MBA program though is to help further said career direction...it is not the end goal. You need to tell your story in your application -- don't look at this as if I do A & B then I'll go to schools X & Y. Think about where you want to be in your career and figure out if this postbacc and/or an MBA will help me get there.
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3157
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Benefits of a Post-Bacc Program. [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 01:00
Expert's post
aerien wrote:
Agreed with lb2015. Depending on what jobs you're considering, a post bacc just to improve quant skills/"strengthen" potential MBA application isn't worth it. You need a career plan/direction first.

If you want a [super-quant job] and need to strengthen your quant skills, then getting an analytics degree (or something similar) could be helpful. The MBA program though is to help further said career direction...it is not the end goal. You need to tell your story in your application -- don't look at this as if I do A & B then I'll go to schools X & Y. Think about where you want to be in your career and figure out if this postbacc and/or an MBA will help me get there.


Kudos. What he said....
:)
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Benefits of a Post-Bacc Program. [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 04:01
Expert's post
JonAdmissionado wrote:
aerien wrote:
Agreed with lb2015. Depending on what jobs you're considering, a post bacc just to improve quant skills/"strengthen" potential MBA application isn't worth it. You need a career plan/direction first.

If you want a [super-quant job] and need to strengthen your quant skills, then getting an analytics degree (or something similar) could be helpful. The MBA program though is to help further said career direction...it is not the end goal. You need to tell your story in your application -- don't look at this as if I do A & B then I'll go to schools X & Y. Think about where you want to be in your career and figure out if this postbacc and/or an MBA will help me get there.


Kudos. What he said....
:)


Thanks, Jon! I feel so validated getting kudos from you :)
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Sep 2012
Posts: 40
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Accounting (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Benefits of a Post-Bacc Program. [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 05:41
What is post bacc? Is it like additional courses for a bachelor's degree? If yes wouldn't it be more beneficial to do a one year master's?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Re: Benefits of a Post-Bacc Program.   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2013, 05:41
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Benefits danzig 2 31 May 2013, 12:14
1 Federal agricultural programs aimed at benefiting one group SudiptoGmat 9 14 Jan 2010, 17:22
The Volunteer for Literacy Program would benefit if Dolores eyunni 4 26 Oct 2007, 17:55
Federal agricultural programs aimed at benefiting one group ps_dahiya 10 21 Nov 2005, 21:35
Federal agricultural programs aimed at benefiting one group nakib77 11 30 Oct 2005, 12:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Benefits of a Post-Bacc Program.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.