Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Benefits of MBA degree

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Benefits of MBA degree [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 11:31
Hi,

This is my first post in GMAT Club and I would like to start off by thanking everyone responsible and contributing to this wonderful website. Sorry if I am posting to the wrong forum, but I searched for similar posts and did not find what I am looking for.

I am in the midst of thinking about what I want to do with my life and career. I am looking at getting a MBA degree and have several questions:

- What is the benefit of a MBA degree?
    - Do you need a MBA to rise up the corporate ladder?
    - Do you need a MBA to become a better manager?
    - If MBA really helps in moving up the ladder, at what age and level of experience/career growth should you get a MBA degree? Do you need a MBA for rising to a manager level or wait for a few years till you get closer to a director level, executive level or higher?
    - Do you need a MBA to start your own business or manage one?
    - Do you need a MBA to change careers if you wanted to?
    - What should I expect out of a MBA? From your experience, did the course meet your expectation and help you achieve your goals or put you in the right path.

To help answer these questions, let me give a small introduction about myself. I am 29 years old with a Masters degree in Telecommunications Engineering (so I have given the GRE 9 years ago and got a pretty decent score of 2210/2400). I have 5+ years of work experience and currently in a Senior Engineer position. I have worked at 3 big organizations and had the opportunity to lead several projects (got good reviews on my management skills too). I can probably become a manager in 2 years, but I want to think big and look at a bigger picture 10 years ahead.

If I want to move up the corporate ladder, I am sure a MBA would help but is it really needed? I have observed several managers, directors, executives and even CEOs who do not have a MBA degree. Talking to several experienced people, they have told me the most important thing to get up there is networking and contacts (of course you have to be smart and good at what you do).

The other thing that I am considering is that my father has a 15-year old business. It is a decent sized business and definitely has a lot of potential to grow. When I was in my early 20's, I did not have any interest in the business because I wanted to go into the Telecommunications industry. But after my higher education, experience, meeting different people and getting to know how the real world works, I feel it is good to utilize all your hard work for yourself than for someone else. I am considering getting in the business and have several ideas on how to improve and expand it. I have also seen courses on entrepreneurship being offered in MBA, but would that really help me if I plan to get into my dad's business.

I am currently thinking of giving the GMAT since I have some time now and it is valid for 5 years. That way I will at least have the option of MBA open. After reading through the forums, I have decided to buy the following books (Suggestions are most welcome):
    - The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition
    - The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review, 2nd Edition
    - The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

I know it is a long post but I would be very thankful for your comments/suggestions in answering my questions and guiding me through this stage of life.

Regards,
Yogesh
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Benefits of MBA degree [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 11:58
There have been about 90 views but no replies :(

I would really appreciate it if someone can take a little time and provide comments/suggestions on my post and give their experience.

Hope to see some help from fellow GC members...Thanks in advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 9

Re: Benefits of MBA degree [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 03:54
Hi Yogesh,

You are not getting a response for your queries for two reasons

- generally speaking, most candidates who post here (in the admission consultants section) have carried out their independent research and are looking for specific and focused inputs on their profiles

- your questions are very basic/generic and the answers would be easily available on many websites. Very few readers (including the 90 who viewed this thread earlier) would have the patience to type all the answers here.

Probably start off by typing 'Why MBA?' in Google. You'll get a huge repository of information that'll address most of your questions.

Once you have a better idea about what the degree can and cannot do for you, you'd be able to come up with more focused queries about your profile.
And there's a higher possibility that you'll get more useful responses from the consultants here.

See you back here soon.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Last edited by MBACrystalBall on 03 Mar 2010, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Benefits of MBA degree [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 08:05
Thanks a lot Sameer. I have searched on 'Why MBA' and read some sites, but I was hoping people who have had the experience of going through a MBA would share their views.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 9

Re: Benefits of MBA degree [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
I'm taking a deep breath and diving in.

- What is the benefit of a MBA degree?
Better career prospects, more opportunities, strong network, better understanding of business in general

- Do you need a MBA to rise up the corporate ladder?
No. But it can accelerate your journey.

- Do you need a MBA to become a better manager?
No. But it can help you understand nuances that would be otherwise be difficult to pick up in a trial-and-error approach

- If MBA really helps in moving up the ladder, at what age and level of experience/career growth should you get a MBA degree?
On an average, MBA candidates at the top schools have around 5 years of work-ex.

- Do you need a MBA for rising to a manager level or wait for a few years till you get closer to a director level, executive level or higher?
That's a personal call. You might look at an Executive MBA program or a part-time program depending where you are in your career and what you are expecting from the degree. There are pros and cons of each.

- Do you need a MBA to start your own business or manage one?
No. Many entrepreneurs do not have a formal degree in business. Fire-in-the-belly is a good enough qualification to get you there. If you have the aptitude, you will pick up the relevant skills along the way.

- Do you need a MBA to change careers if you wanted to?
No. From personal experience, I've managed two career changes. One without an MBA and the second one after completing my MBA.

- What should I expect out of a MBA?
A huge debt for sure. And if you choose your path well, you can also expect to gain knowledge, better opportunities, prestige and a whole lot of money (you were waiting for me to add that last one, right?)

- From your experience, did the course meet your expectation and help you achieve your goals or put you in the right path.
It sure did. But I'll admit, I'm not a genius (I hate such revelations on a public forum). Luck played a big role in the entire process as well. You'll also come across a whole lot of people who haven't had fairy tale endings.

Hope that helps.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern

Re: Benefits of MBA degree [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 20:49
Again thanks a lot for your time Sameer...I just got the OG 12td Edition today and your response is very helpful...

Kudos to you for sharing your thoughts!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 9

Re: Benefits of MBA degree [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 23:40
You are welcome, sir.

Btw, when's the GMAT test scheduled?

Re: Benefits of MBA degree   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2010, 23:40