Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 18:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 19

Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 00:51
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

63% (01:58) correct 36% (01:00) wrong based on 340 sessions
Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions

A. same
B. for Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also
C. for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also
D. of Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as also a politician, but Tagore was
E. of Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore had also been

Source OG 13 # 38
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Let Difficulties know that you too are difficult

if you want the rainbow,you gotta put up with the rain

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: OG 13 # 38 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 01:00
B is correct -

D & E are not as 'admiration of' is incorrect usage.

Out of A,B,C - Only B has the correct parallel structure - "as a person and as a politician".

C's 'not only' has to be paired with 'not only...but also'
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 26

Re: OG 13 # 38 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 01:30
Hi,

Some of the options are having construction : Not only.X..............But also.Y ( we will strike off the ones that don:t have this )

C,E = Breaks the form Not only X but also Y = Eliminated

Of A,B,D :

Admiration for is the correct usage of idiom

D = eliminated

of A n B :

A : ....................... admiration for gandhi.......... person = incorrect ( there has to be something in the gap bxn Gandhi & Person ) = Eliminated

leading to B : the gap is filled by AS and has the correct usage of Idiom admiration for.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

Re: Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 23:54
Look for the parallel structure "as a person and as a politician" only B, C and E are left.

C is eliminated because it doesn't follow the right structure for not only...but also.

Then the Admiration for is the right Idiom and admiration of is incorrect apart from that E is very wordy so it can be eliminated. Hence, B is the right answer
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 504

Kudos [?]: 1599 [0], given: 625

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 02:46
Expert's post
paras123 wrote:
Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions

A. same
C. for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also
E. of Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore had also been

Source OG 13 # 38

A. MK.Gandhi the person and also AS a politicial is NOT parallel.
B. Correct parallelism.
C. not only needs but also ESSENTIALLY
D. as a person and as also a politician is NOT parallel. Also admiration of is weird/awkward.
E. Not only needs but also. Also a problem with the use of "admiration of"

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 10:18
Expert's post
A. same
C. for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore was also--not only always take a but also
D. of Mohandas K.Gandhi as a person and as also a politician, but Tagore was ---of is a wrong idiom over here--parrallelism not met
E. of Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but Tagore had also been past perfect changes the meaning

-B- is the correct answer

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 135 [1] , given: 32

Re: Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
if my post helps anyone over here, kindly give me a kudos, it feels good

Regards,

S

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 32

Re: Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 11:03
Expert's post
this question can be solved by several methods, lots of errors have crept in making it easy to split.
as X... As Y defines ll structure over here

Regards,

S

3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 388

Kudos [?]: 1533 [3] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 16:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
honchos wrote:
In this question, I was able to eliminate A,D and E.
But strucked between B and C, I chose B, dont know why, but the explanation here why C i wrong, I am unable to get the catch.

Dear honchos,
I'm happy to help. :-) Here's the question again:

OG SC #38) Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions
A. for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been

The not only ... but also idiom is a favorite on the GMAT, and it must link two parallel structures ----
not only P but also Q
The P & Q must be in parallel. If P begins with a preposition, then Q must begin with the same preposition.

In version (C), it starts ....
(C) Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, .....
After the "not only", we get a prepositional phrase with the preposition "as", so we need exactly that in the second half: for example, something along the lines of .....
Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but also as an expert in blah blah blah.

The second half of the sentence does not match the expectations that the first half of (C) sets up. More to the point, the grammatical structures
not P but Q or a simple but
establishes a strong contrast, and it is precisely this sense of contrast for which this sentence is striving. Simplistically, Tagore saw Gandhi as good in some ways and not-so-good in some ways. That's contrast. The structure
not only P but also Q
is a structure that emphasizes the deeper unity among two elements that might seem different. It's not really the appropriate idiom for the contrast this sentence wants to establish. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom ... junctions/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 173

CAT Tests
Re: Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 06:49
mikemcgarry wrote:
honchos wrote:
But strucked between B and C, I chose B, dont know why, but the explanation here why C i wrong, I am unable to get the catch.

Dear honchos,

OG SC #38) Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been skeptical of Gandhi's form of nationalism and his conservative opinions about India's cultural traditions
A. for Mohandas K. Gandhi the person and also as a politician, but Tagore had been

The not only ... but also idiom is a favorite on the GMAT, and it must link two parallel structures ----
not only P but also Q
The P & Q must be in parallel. If P begins with a preposition, then Q must begin with the same preposition.

(C) Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, .....
After the "not only", we get a prepositional phrase with the preposition "as", so we need exactly that in the second half: for example, something along the lines of .....
Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but also as an expert in blah blah blah.

The second half of the sentence does not match the expectations that the first half of (C) sets up. More to the point, the grammatical structures
establishes a strong contrast, and it is precisely this sense of contrast for which this sentence is striving. Simplistically, Tagore saw Gandhi as good in some ways and not-so-good in some ways. That's contrast. The structure
not only P but also Q
is a structure that emphasizes the deeper unity among two elements that might seem different. It's not really the appropriate idiom for the contrast this sentence wants to establish. See:

Amazing explanation, I am obliged, we are blessed that you are here on gmatclub.com

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 45

Re: Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 04:41
mikemcgarry wrote:
honchos wrote:

Dear honchos,

not only P but also Q

not only P but also Q

Mike,

Is it necessary that the in the idiom Not only X but also Y, X and Y should have same structure.
Ex: In the correct version mentioned by you Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but also as an expert in blah blah blah.

X -> As a person and as a politician
Y-> as an expert

So X is a list of two elements but Y is a single element.

Please advise...
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 388

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 09:42
Expert's post
ygdrasil24 wrote:
Mike,

Is it necessary that the in the idiom Not only X but also Y, X and Y should have same structure.
Ex: In the correct version mentioned by you Bengal-born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath Tagore had the greatest admiration for Mohandas K.Gandhi not only as a person and as a politician, but also as an expert in blah blah blah.

X -> As a person and as a politician
Y-> as an expert

So X is a list of two elements but Y is a single element.

Please advise...

Dear ygdrasil24,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

In the idiom "not only X but also Y", it is very important that X and Y are in parallel. It's very important to remember --- parallelism is fundamentally not a grammatical structure but a logical structure. The two elements in parallel must be playing logically the same role, and part of that is having the same grammatical form.
Here, both X and Y describe roles that Gandhi had, or ways that his contemporaries might look at him. One way to look at him was "as a person and as a politician." Another way to look at him was "as an expert in blah blah blah." It's fine that the first one has two elements and the second only has one. Never let yourself become fundamentalist about parallelism. It's not about creating perfect symmetry purely at the level of individual grammatical units --- rather, it's about the overall flow of the logic. If you pay attention to the grammar and ignore the logic, you will miss the forest for the trees.

Here's a recent post on parallelism:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping-c ... -the-gmat/

I hope all this helps.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 13:42
paras123 wrote:

A. same

Source OG 13 # 38

Parallelism.. "as a person... AND as a politician" flows perfectly in B. The rest of the options do not have correct parallelism between person and politician. So B is correct.
Re: Bengal - born writer, philosopher, and educator Rabindranath   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2014, 13:42