Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Berkeley (Haas) Vs. Wharton

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Berkeley (Haas) Vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 09:03
Hey All -

Really struggling with this decision and was hoping for some help. I'm recently got into both Haas and Wharton and visiting both admitted students weekends. After seeing both schools I am completely torn between the two. I would ultimately like to go into MBB consulting so Wharton would seem like the clear favorite but Wharton dropped 250 resumes last year at one of the MBB firms resulting in 30 hires. From talking to Haas students, it sounds like about 50 students apply to an MBB firm on average resulting in about 5-10 hires.

My general impression is that while Wharton may place more people, as a percentage of the number of people applying the schools are fairly similar. In looking at the non-professional side of things, here are my pros and cons:

Berkeley

- GREAT location. Bay Area is a gorgeous and provides a bit of the adventure I am looking for plus proximity to skiing and outdoor activities is a huge plus
- Culture. I really liked the feel of Berkeley's campus and its small program
- Very involved alumni base. Heard from many students that Haas alumni are incredibly receptive with few alumni not responding to requests for help.

Wharton

- Prestige. Obviously a very respected MBA program
- Clubs. Size of Wharton means it has a lot more social and extracurricular clubs for MBAs
- People. Overall the people I met at Wharton seemed more similar to my background and easier to get along with. This might be an East coast v. West coast thing and my comfort with DC.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something obvious or do you all have any advice?

Thanks,

Seth
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Berkeley (Haas) Vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 09:28
Here's a list of the top five recruiters at each school according to Businessweek:

Haas: Deloitte (10), McKinsey (9), BCG (8), Paypal (6), Google (6)
Total Deloitte hires: 10
Total MBB hires: <= 22
Ratio of MBB / Deloitte hires: 1.1

Wharton: McKinsey (53), BCG (45), Bain (25), Deloitte (16), Goldman (16)
Total Deloitte hires: 16
Total MBB hires: 123
Ratio of MBB / Deloitte hires: 7.68

The reason I bring up the ratio is that from my research and what I've heard, Deloitte is a less desirable firm to work at than MBB. In fact, you specifically mention that you're looking to land at MBB. Why do you think, then, that Wharton sends 7x as many grads to MBB than Deloitte, whereas Haas sends them in equal numbers? I, for one, don't think it's a matter of Haas students preferring Deloitte to MBB. To me, that seems like a meaningful difference in opportunity.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Berkeley (Haas) Vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 12:59
The people. Go where your going to have a good time, make friends.
Also realise that names do count in the recruiters minds.

Well done for being accepted into both

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Berkeley (Haas) Vs. Wharton [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 19:03
Expert's post
I really dislike the comparison of school purely based on number of hired to MBB. There are so many factors affecting those numbers. Wharton will likely have more returning consultants. Wharton has a larger class size. Wharton may have more people pursuing consulting (and Haas tech). In my opinion, going to Haas will not significantly impact your chances at MBB.

The drawback I would say with Haas, is that it may offer a narrower range of post-MBA job opportunities – location and industry.

Diversity

Re: Berkeley (Haas) Vs. Wharton   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2013, 19:03