Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 03:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Berkeley Haas vs. Yale SOM for investment management

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Berkeley Haas vs. Yale SOM for investment management [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 11:34
Hi,
I've been admitted to Berkeley Haas (no word on scholarship yet, but I guess zero) and Yale SOM (small scholarship).

My WE background is 6 years in investment management in Lat Am equity and fixed income, working in small local investment managers (I am from Latin America).
After the MBA I want to stay within the investment management business, but I would like to work in a big Asset Manager, Pension Fund, Endowment or Hedge Fund (I have my hopes quite high).

Both of these schools are quite different and appeal to different type of recruitment, but I believe you can still find top investment managers on both sides of the States.
From which one do you think it is more likely to land a job in a good investment manegement firm?

I don't have time to go to admit weekend for both schools.
I haven't gone to New Haven, but I've heard mixed reviews.
I know Berkeley, and I like it a lot.

So, East or West?
any thoughts?

thanks!
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Berkeley Haas vs. Yale SOM for investment management [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 11:39
Can you do only 1 admitted students weekend? If so, I recommend going to Yale's so you can get an accurate comparison between both schools. However, from your post you definitely seem to be leaning one particular way.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Berkeley Haas vs. Yale SOM for investment management [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 12:10
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Can you do only 1 admitted students weekend? If so, I recommend going to Yale's so you can get an accurate comparison between both schools. However, from your post you definitely seem to be leaning one particular way.

Thank you Cheetarah. You are absolutely correct: if I had to choose today, I would definitely go to Haas.
My problem is that 2 days ago I was sure I wanted to go the other way.

I will try to go to Yale's admit weekend (good idea), but I'm still very interested if someone has information or opinion on investement management placement from these schools.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Berkeley Haas vs. Yale SOM for investment management [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 05:15
I'd say both probably will afford you equal opportunities. I have similar career goals and will be matriculating to SOM this year, but for investment management, much of the internship/fulltime will be through off campus opportunities and your own ability to network. I did visit Haas, and met with the IM student club, and it seemed they had decent representation at large asset managers out west, i.e. Franklin Templeton etc. but as you can see from their employment report, finance is not as popular a career choice, which has its pros and cons given you have less competition

I think SOM might afford you a bit better oppty set..given that as i said, much of recruiting is off campus, and you will be closer to proximity to NYC and Boston. Also, SOM has a fairly strong representation with endowments (class taught by Yale endowment staff, CEO of Harvard and Princeton endowments are SOM alum). While the campus is near hedge fund capital Greenwich, CT, I don't think many students have been able to tap into that network as of yet. And all else equal, there are a ton of hedge funds in the Bay area to network with as well.

I would guess that Haas perhaps has a bit better brand name than SOM, not sure how much that matters, but it seems more importantly, you prefer the bay area. I can't blame you, and in hindshight wish I'd applied out there. So i think you should go where you think you'd have the most fun, and worry about IM jobs when you get there...what marginal edge you may have in IM recruiting at SOM at the end, you'll be networking on your own, you just need to choose the location you feel most comfortable at.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Completed all CFA exams
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Berkeley Haas vs. Yale SOM for investment management [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 07:13
I think that the previous post is dead on. I spoke to the person that manages the relationships with financial firms for Yale SOM and he told me some of the same things. There are definitely smaller west coast IM firms that recruit at Haas, in addition to larger players like Franklin Templeton, but I doubt many of them are well known outside of the region. The only recent alum I know from Haas that works in IM went to work for Goldman Sachs M&A in New York first, before returning to San Francisco to work at a credit fund (where he's now a partner). I can tell you that a Yale SOM student graduating this year received a full-time offer from PIMCO, so it's possible to recruit for the west coast at SOM. I think SOM used to have a program for getting students internships at some of the Yale endowment's underlying managers, but I'm not sure if that exists anymore. Last night I got a call from an SOM alum who used to be a senior partner at Warburg Pincus, so apparently it's possible to have success in the industry as an SOM grad!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Completed all CFA exams
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Berkeley Haas vs. Yale SOM for investment management [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 08:30
To answer the last question, I was being sarcastic. Yale has some great people teaching finance, including Roger Ibbotson, Robert Shiller, and Jim Chanos (hedge fund manager, Kynikos Associates). I also know that the former head of JP Morgan's private equity business teaches a class on the subject.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Berkeley Haas vs. Yale SOM for investment management [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 08:41
Haha. way to call us out. I wanted to downplay some excitement and be objective from the perspective of OP.

Fact of the matter is Im really pumped to be at SOM and know it's a great fit for me. The faculty above is a big part of that, and the smaller town feel and close knit student culture. While I plan on staying East for now though, I could see myself heading to SF later on in life. GO CLASS OF 2014!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Berkeley Haas vs. Yale SOM for investment management [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 11:52
I am going to Yale SOM class of 2014; I am also going the IB route, although as a career changer. I had a chance to meet Dean Snyder last week and I have a lot of trust in the fact that I will get a high amount of exposure to great companies while here. I turned down a full ride to USC, who we all know has an amazing network, because I think Yale has the potential to be as strong, if not stronger; when I was making my decision, the CEO of a Fortune 50 (fifty) company called me to help me make my decision, I thought that was AWESOME.

SOM 2014, can't wait to meet the rest of you, it is going to be an AWESOME 2 years.
Re: Berkeley Haas vs. Yale SOM for investment management   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2012, 11:52