Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bernanke cuts another 50 basis points

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St. Gallen '09
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Bernanke cuts another 50 basis points [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 12:15
and Gold answers with another new all-time high at 942.20 on the day (APR contract).

And, we're going much higher from here.

But, not necessarily in a straight line.

The liquidity hatch has been opened, and the FED is now fueling inflation and weakening the dollar with their rate cut. And, they have left the door open to further rate cuts.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bernanke cuts another 50 basis points [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 13:24
and the markets close RED!!!

looks like a true bear market
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 781

Re: Bernanke cuts another 50 basis points [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 18:58
I wonder if there is a study of whether the Feds interest rate cuts affect real economic factors such as GDP.

I don't know if the stock market is a strong reflection of the economy anymore - A lot of companies have become multinationals and often generate a significant proportion of their revenues overseas, others are accepting money from sovereign wealth funds and are flush with cash -- it is difficult to say where the economy is headed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bernanke cuts another 50 basis points [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 03:16
Praetorian wrote:
I wonder if there is a study of whether the Feds interest rate cuts affect real economic factors such as GDP.

I don't know if the stock market is a strong reflection of the economy anymore - A lot of companies have become multinationals and often generate a significant proportion of their revenues overseas, others are accepting money from sovereign wealth funds and are flush with cash -- it is difficult to say where the economy is headed.

In theory, interest rate cuts should spur increased borrowing and investment. And because of the multiplier effect, this should then positively influence GDP based on the increased spending and investment. However, America is no longer the traditional economy that it once was, because it is now a service-oriented one with 70% consisting of consumer spending. Where will the additional borrowing and investment go? Pay off debts?!

And like you said, many of the big companies with the big pockets derive profits from and invest heavily overseas. IMO, we are in the process of a major shift in the international economic and financial system from the West to the East. China will probably become the largest economy before the end of this century. What products does America actually produce besides airplanes, military weapons, and federal reserve notes? OK, I'm being slightly facetious.
Re: Bernanke cuts another 50 basis points   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2008, 03:16