Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Best" admission consulting companies?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 04:46

!
Warning - single post user. High potential for a non-genuine review

I spent a lot of time researching admissions consultants, and actually had the 30-minute intro calls with 4 of them!! I decided if I was going to spend that much $, I should be sure I liked what I was getting. After to speaking with the different consultants, I decided to go with Stacy Blackman Consultants because the woman I spoke to was so helpful and eager to answer my questions. I asked a million stupid questions, and she walked me through the process from beginning to end. She also had reviewed my resume and info before the call so she had a whole detailed breakdown of how she saw my applications going. She also gave me great advice in that first phone call, so even if I had gone with another company, I would have walked away with something! But I did end up going with Stacy Blackman, and ended up loving my consultant. They matched me with her because of her background the similarity to my own, and we really connected. If you are thinking about consultants, call a few and compare, but I think you'll agree with me that Stacy Blackman is a step above the others! Just my 2 cents...
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 10:35
Does anyone know of admission consultants based out of India as the cost of hiring even the cheapest admission consultants based in US comes out to be a significant sum in INR.

May be this can be another outsourcing opportunity :lol:

GMAT 720(94%) (Q 49(87%) V 39(87%))

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1391 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 11:56
Check out Manya Abroad. I've heard of them through friends, though I have no experience. Princeton Review outsources to them, I think.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2270

Kudos [?]: 8763 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 12:29
Expert's post
sadbuttrue wrote:
I pm'd paul (basic stuff... what i want to do, a short 'profile', etc) but didn't get ar esponse. Should I just email their website (the Amerasia group)?

Alex did get back to me and had some good insight for me. I'll be considering him, though the cost is a bit steep.

Any others I should try?

I think Paul is out with health issues. I will ping him as well - we closed his sub-forum to keep things sane.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 16

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 13:19
Anyone has had experiences with precision essays or Avi Gordon, would you please please mind sending me a PM. It will help me a lot.

Also - do these consulting companies generally spend time on one school at a time or work on multiple simultaneously?

Regardless - a daunting task :shock:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 20:11
Avernusour I believe Paul is currently not working due to health reasons, would you be able to share some material given by him ?

GMAT 720(94%) (Q 49(87%) V 39(87%))

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 20:34
crackfire2003 wrote:
Avernusour I believe Paul is currently not working due to health reasons, would you be able to share some material given by him ?

I won't redistribute his material (or anyone else's), but you can contact him for a consultation through his website: http://www.amerasiaconsulting.com/

He's pretty responsive, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 22:08
Has anyone here used Avi Gordon? He seemed really good based on an initial chat we had. Would really appreciate any more feedback about him.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 04:22
Any updates upon the admission consultants. It would be helpful to hear others experience.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 05:28
I strongly recommend Alex from MBAApply.

Personally, one thing I value the most is honesty. Alex will definitely bring this to you. Dude is pretty funny too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 11:58
-

Last edited by osbornecox on 15 Dec 2010, 00:03, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 09:40
Expert's post
Just wanted to clarify something from previous posts on this thread, which is that I am very much in business right now. Thank you all for your kind comments.

We just sent off a group of applicants round one to HBS, Wharton, Stanford, Cornell, and others, as well as ED at Columbia. We are currently offering free consultations for late round one (Sloan, NYU, etc.) and for round two. PM me if you are interested in discussing your candidacy and our services. You can also visit the Ask Paul thread where you can found profile evaluations and recommendations.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 00:34
nyxjf wrote:
I strongly recommend Alex from MBAApply.

Personally, one thing I value the most is honesty. Alex will definitely bring this to you. Dude is pretty funny too.

Hi dude,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I have not worked with Alex myself but heard lot good feedbacks about him and should be fine. Just wanna add my own experience with Stacy Blackman consultant services, she is awesome and specially if you can't believe on it you can simply purchase one of her essay guides cheap at low was $40/each , which available for most of top US b-school, and yourself can judge about it. I think it worth to evaluate her abilities before spending loads of dollars on each MBA admission consultant services.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 12:32
Read all the posts that were made in this forum.. The information provided is really valuable.. However, I still haven't started with my applications as yet and I am not too familiar with the process as well.. One of the schools that I am targeting is ISB whose dealine is just around the corner.. Can anyone of you suggest any good admission consultants keeping in mind the crunch situation I am in at the moment..

Thanks..
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 01:37
MBA Consultant Comparison - Precision Essay vs. Amerasia
I am using two different consultants this season, both Full package - 1 school. I don't recommend doing this, I was on a time crunch and couldn't decide which I wanted to go with. Precision Essay cost a lot less and since it would basically be the same price for 1 full package from each company as it would for 1 full and 1 smaller package just from Amerasia, I went with 1 full each and figured that way if I wanted to add another school later, I would know which one I preferred. I am still in the application process and have not received decisions from either of these schools yet, but wanted to share my experience now in case it helps someone else who is deciding. I evaluated each on the following criteria:

Knowledge of Specifc School Themes: Precision: C Amerasia: A
Amerasia knew the insights of the school and what they were looking for, I don't think Precision even knew what the essay questions were if I didn't tell them

Learning about me to bring out best aspects: Precision: B Amerasia: A-
I had to keep reminding Precision of my weaknesses and plead for help in addressing them. Amerasia told me what they were and already had advice for me on the intial consultation call

Content of Edits Precision: B+ Amerasia: A
Amerasia read and edited with whole picture in mind, Precision did well in bringing more clarity out of me, but the themes I wanted to portray somehow kept getting lost. It was a bit frustrating, they would blanketly cut out sections, then later say I need more detail. Also found a typo after submitting my essay! My fault, I should have proofread better, but I later discovered this made it through 2 versions of their edits, how could they have missed that? Also lots of typos in their responses to me, not a big deal, but hard to take seriously.

Turn-around time for edits Precision: A+ Amerasia: A
Precision would sometimes send revisions back the same day and was very sensitive to my deadline. Yet to experience either very positive or very negative from Amerasia as far as response time, seems about right, and my deadline for this one is not as urgent, so pretty good to start.

Overall Value for money Precision: C Amerasia: A
I don't feel I got the full value of Precision's Deluxe package. Part of this is my fault, I did not give them much lead time before my application was due, but I was also not familiar with the process and how much time I needed. I gave them my deadline and I feel as a consultant they really should have told me you will only have time to get to the essays and a Junior package would be fine. But instead they sold me on the Deluxe, claiming it was necessary for the first one, yet I only got one resume edit (he recommended I lengthen it to two pages...huh?), no time for recommender advice, no evaluation of my application as a whole etc. all which are supposed to be included in the Deluxe. The time I needed to get the full value just wasn't there and I wish they would have been honest about that. I would consider Precision again only if I needed help with essay revisions, but as a consultant helping to shape my overall application, I would look elsewhere.

Amerasia is absolutely worth the money in my opinion, plus I see they are offering 15% off now in the GMAT Club marketplace...the decision is a no brainer. I also really like their fee structure, how you pay a lower price up front and only pay the extra $300 if you are extended an interview invite. At least that way you are not paying up front for a service you might not need if you do not get invited. I am just getting started with them but already feel good about it. Hope this comparison helps to decide, good luck everyone!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 07:49
tingle15 wrote:
Read all the posts that were made in this forum.. The information provided is really valuable.. However, I still haven't started with my applications as yet and I am not too familiar with the process as well.. One of the schools that I am targeting is ISB whose dealine is just around the corner.. Can anyone of you suggest any good admission consultants keeping in mind the crunch situation I am in at the moment..

Thanks..

Hi Tingle,

Try Crystal Ball, Sameer. He is a great guy and it is your best bet to apply via Indian consultants for ISB rather than phoreign consultants. Just a word of warning, don't expect everything to be laid out.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 23:58
Has anyone used stacy blackman or mbaexchange.. which is better? Any specific consultant at mbaexchange who is supposed to be very good?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 03:20
Any reviews on Precission essay..
Kindly PM me...
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 15:37
If anyone has any recommendations regarding consultants, and could PM me, I would hugely appreciate it! With deadlines approaching, I have to make some decisions quickly. (Were it not for a recent GMAT re-take that went way better than expected, I would not be applying in this round in the first place. But now, no time is better than the present!)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2270

Kudos [?]: 8763 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 15:29
Expert's post
Thanks for the feedback! I would definitely recommend scheduling a call/consultation with any of the admissions consultants you plan to use. They all may be great but just the style may not be what you are looking for.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies?   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2011, 15:29