Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Best" admission consulting companies?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 18:05
HBS Guru.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 3 Candidate
Schools: Harvard(R2 - ding), Wharton(R2 -ding), Booth(ding), Kellogg(waitlisted then dinged)
WE 1: IIT, 6 yrs healthcare consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2011, 18:46
www.apexwriters.com

desi service for indians - I like english editing service -where they fix grammar etc in essays

worst profile = indian male engineer working in IT

My MBA journey
CAT 2004 99.1% no calls , XLRI admit
CAT 2005 98.5% no calls
CAT 2006 96.1% no calls
GMAT 1st attempt 680
GMAT 2nd attempt 680
GMAT 3rd attempt 710
Full time MBA - dinged at Harvard, booth, Kellogg (waitlisted then dinged), Wharton
part time MBA - Kellogg dinged
part time MBA Kellogg accepted

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 149

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 08:39
I would like just to reinforce this topic and kindly ask guys who have been admitted recently to post here with which consultants did they work.

I am currently considering to hire an admission consulting company/consultant and I am targeting 4-5 schools.
I plan to apply in R1 fall 2011.

Please provide your feedback and if you want to remain provate just send me a pm.

thank you.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 12:52
I am not finished yet but I have had a wonderful experience with Stacy Blackman Consulting. This was my second time applying - last time I used another firm. This time has been smooth right from the start - I got what I signed up for and I am now receiving interviews so have a lot of confidence that I put together a great application. It was a big investment up front but after that I have had so many people to support me and such expert guidance - it's been great. I have really enjoyed working with my consultant and the whole team there.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia '13

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 14:45
Moderator: first post of user, low credibility

Hi all, really wanted to put my 2 cents in here too:

I used Amerasia consulting for my applications to two top ten schools because while I am reasonably confident in my application, I work in a quantitative industry and wasn't too sure I was going to express myself clearly on paper. Also, I lacked a staple of a perfect application: a decently high percentile GPA from my undergraduate institution. Finally, as we all know, business school is a life-changing decision, so I wanted to make sure my applications were top-notch, well thought out, and fully represented my strengths.

I spoke to a few consulting firms, and quickly found Amerasia to be by far the most helpful right off the bat. During other free consultations, I was told the usual: I have a decent profile, they can set me up with a consultant, I just need to sign and pay. Amerasia was completely different; I took 5 pages of notes during my 1 hour free consultation (with the actual consultant I would be working with), and could quickly discern that I was getting valuable, useable advice. Also, I found the fee to be reasonable, and I also liked the fact that they do not charge you for interview counseling unless you actually get the interview.

During the application process itself, my consultant was incredibly helpful. He listened to my life story, helped me pick out my biggest strengths, and really saw to it that these characteristics were well represented in my essays. He was not afraid to tell me bluntly that sometimes my first drafts wouldn't work and that I would have to write another. I also procrastinated greatly during my month of application writing, and my consultant kept me on track by shooting me quick emails, reminding me to stay on track and get certain drafts/revisions done. I've heard that other consultants seemingly get swamped during busy times, but mine was thoroughly consistant and timely in terms of returning comments on essay drafts, emailing me answers to my questions, and just generally keeping me on track.

When I was invited to an interview with my top choice school, my consultant yet again saved me. Having a mock interview beforehand was more helpful than I could've imagined, and his knowledge of admissions practices/commonly asked questions/school-specific questions was instrumental in my preparation. When I had a strange and unique post-interview situation and had no idea what to do, the first thing I did was email my consultant, who immediately responded with helpful and correct advice.

To make a long story short, I highly recommend Amerasia Consulting for MBA admissions. The money was well worth it to be admitted to a top 10 MBA program of my dreams. If you have any questions about any of this, feel free to PM me.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (Admitted /w $$$), Anderson (Admitted), LBS (Waitlist), MIT (ding), Stanford (ding), HBS (ding)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 20:11
I shopped around quite a bit and used Precision Essay. I only applied to top 16 schools, and two admits later and one waitlist (including a full ride to Haas) I can vouch for Jon and his team 100%. I did start with ample time to work together and I think this definitely makes a difference - if you are rushing to finish when everybody else is crunching then the result is obvious no matter where you go. In the end, I did end up in a time crunch situation for a few schools, but the response time was amazing - a few times I chatted with Jon at 4AM in the heat of the app season, while stressing out about something in my application. I also talked to him on the phone when he was travelling overseas in china at some crazy local time.
The service isn't for everyone--they make you work HARD to bring out your story and your voice - there were times where I was thinking OH COME ON GUYS, another edit, wasn't that last one good enough? It's one of those processes where you get out what you put in it - no consultant can (nor should they) do all your writing and have a pre-packaged story ready for you. By the way, I haven't heard of half the consultants who post here--new ones seem to pop up every day. The only way to really tell what consultant is right for you is their track record, and to reach out to them and speak to them personally, get a sense of their response times, and see if you match with them personality wise. To me what set them apart was personalized responses that were specific to me, not some cookie cutter "your profile looks good, but theres areas we have to work on" generic email. Feel free to pm me or talk to the guys directly. If you do talk to Jon and his crew at PE, I am sure you'll see how amazing they are.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 75050

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 16:26
Hi, I've landed on very exciting offers from top 10 schools and I owe a great deal to Precision Essay (“PE”).

Anyone can churn out sentences and paragraphs for your essays but PE gives you a view of what goes on in peoples’ heads. His blog entries and exercises (google “Precision Essay”) are very insightful and if followed, leads to an introspective experience. I, like other applicants, would have gone through weekends and Xmas going through the essays and perhaps complain about it to my friends, but secretly I believe that I have found the application experience rewarding because I just got to know myself more and got a renewed sense of direction, PE's advice and feedback, was instrumental for that experience. I'd go for them to get you into a top school, but also for the tough (he'd scrutinise your choice of words and write a whole paragraph as to why a word is inappropriate) but rewarding application experience.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2011, 08:26
Hi,
I am looking for your feedback on Veritas Prep consultation for 3-4 schools!

Thank you so much
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Booth

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 11:26
Researching/shopping for consultant for next year. Very interested to know of people's success'. Profiles, admitted schools, etc. would be helpful.

PM me if you are not comfortable submitting openly.

If you find this post useful, please give me a kudos. Thanks!

[JB's Guide to Dressing for Interviews]

[Did you use a Admissions Consultant? Provide some feedback here!]

Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
WE 1: Mortgage
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 10:22
I want to echo Michmax' and the previous poster's comments on Amerasia - if you're planning to use a consultant, I highly recommend them. They're much more reasonably priced than MBA Exchange or Stacy Blackman, and I feel like their "boutique" approach allows them to get much more hands on with their clients. I never had a problem with turnaround times, and more often than not had responses within 24 hours. I used the full-service package for Booth and NYU, and then essay editing for Ross and Kellogg. I'm in at Ross so far, and still waiting on Kellogg.

To also echo what Michmax said, I feel like they did a great job of assuaging my fears when it comes to the application process. After getting 3 dings last year, I was trying to shoot for rank 20-30 programs in the hopes of actually going somewhere; but after talking to them, I was bolstered enough to apply to all top 15 schools, and so far with good results.

A consultant will not turn a bad application into gold, but they can help you pull out your best stories and make sure you're portraying yourself in the best light possible. And as much as everyone here on GmatClub has been a help in the application process, it's great to have a personalized coach in your corner, who has insight into all the top programs and can be there for you when you need it.
BSchool Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 06:46
Great write-ups & feedback everyone, keep them coming!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 16

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 11:16
m7 wrote:
The purpose of boards like this is to help each other with honest opinions about any subject. Many people use consultants so why so few replies?? I am looking for a good consultant also and really do not know what to do as I cant just rely on raving reviews on their own sites. I contacted few firms but of course they "are the best in the industry" and so on. Consultant's fee is not only a considerable investment, it will be detrimental if the wrong one is hired. Negative results plus waste of money, opportunity g o n e. Or ruined....
C'mon, people! Just few sentences-who did you use and what do you think-would be nice, to say the least. And pleeease, stop with this "I am not here to ruin anybodys busines"..You should be outspoken and warn others so please don't hesitate to name names, thats the purpose of this blog! Many of you went through the same hassle during your own research, so be a hero now, share with other humans! Please.

Remember - consultants are also here to make a living, and I am not here to interfere with anyone's business. If you want to know more, you should PM people to know about their specific experiences. This being a forum (not a blog) makes me think that I should still share my experiences with my colleagues here, but privately. You can always PM people to get their perspectives. Just a simple click of a button!

Good luck!
BSchool Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 11:40
goldgoldandgold wrote:
Remember - consultants are also here to make a living, and I am not here to interfere with anyone's business. If you want to know more, you should PM people to know about their specific experiences. This being a forum (not a blog) makes me think that I should still share my experiences with my colleagues here, but privately. You can always PM people to get their perspectives. Just a simple click of a button!

Good luck!

I agree with you mostly. Unlike the previous poster, I've been here awhile but do not actually know who is using a consultant. I've heard rumors that about 50% of B-school applicants are doing so these days and I even heard an AdCom member say "to the detriment of other applicants" which is why I posted here.

I do appreciate your feedback and I was hoping to hear from more than just 3 applicants this cycle (all using the same company). Needless to say I do share some of the concerns of that poster (on a separate note - showing up w/out building credibility and demanding such info is distasteful and rude) and I'm trying to get some good quality feedback from others I respect on this board early for next cycle.

Manager
Manager

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 11:46
jb88 wrote:
goldgoldandgold wrote:

Good luck!

I agree with you mostly. Unlike the previous poster, I've been here awhile but do not actually know who is using a consultant. I've heard rumors that about 50% of B-school applicants are doing so these days and I even heard an AdCom member say "to the detriment of other applicants" which is why I posted here.

I do appreciate your feedback and I was hoping to hear from more than just 3 applicants this cycle (all using the same company). Needless to say I do share some of the concerns of that poster (on a separate note - showing up w/out building credibility and demanding such info is distasteful and rude) and I'm trying to get some good quality feedback from others I respect on this board early for next cycle.

Yes I agree - more posters can definitely share. Hopefully they will share their experiences with other companies. PM me if you want to know more about a few more I spoke with....I have some perspective on them
Manager
Manager

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 12:43
m7 wrote:
"Making a living", integrity and professionalism should not be separated and if anyone had a bad experience with some consultant, why not share it here? Otherwise others will suffer as "nameless" consultant will remain anonymous, continue to florish and adding to reapplicants pool. Who benefits from this sugar coating? Only the same unprofessional. (oh, and maybe that "polite" fan of so called "taste".. I just dont see how anyway :)

Did you have a bad experience with some one? No sugar coating my friend - just respect for someone's profession. That is all
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 23:43
bpengage,
thank you a lot for detailedfeedback.

+1 from my side!

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 13:52
i am trying to decide on a consultant for next year. can you please help me chooose one. i am from europe so I will be doing most of the communication via email or skype

I have been hearing very good feedback on Amerisia and to be honest he has been very helpful on the questions I have asked so far on the forum...

please PM me any positive / negative comments I have 7/0 this year so I will start very early this year and preferably with a consultant.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 19:47
Guys anyone have a review or info on Bill Chionis from Stacey Blackman Consultant Group ??

You can either reply here or PM me..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 00:21
if anyone used MBAmission can you please comment on that..
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 00:31
ua87 wrote:
if anyone used MBAmission can you please comment on that..

I am sorry, but are you blind?!

please see rpratt620's post above.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies?   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2011, 00:31