Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Best" admission consulting companies?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 07:36
I don't see any reviews on Veritas Prep ? Has anyone tried them yet? I spoke with 6 different consulting companies including StacyB, MBAM, AmerA, Accpted, MbaPrep and Veritas...and after reviewing all the paremeters that I needed, I am going with Veritas Prep and might be I will go with one other firm for 2nd round..
Any feedback ?
Thanks!
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2284

Kudos [?]: 8898 [0], given: 3671

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 14:22
Expert's post
simmy818 wrote:
I don't see any reviews on Veritas Prep ? Has anyone tried them yet? I spoke with 6 different consulting companies including StacyB, MBAM, AmerA, Accpted, MbaPrep and Veritas...and after reviewing all the paremeters that I needed, I am going with Veritas Prep and might be I will go with one other firm for 2nd round..
Any feedback ?
Thanks!

Not a ton, but I have heard anecdotally that they were up there. (not sure how comparative those are)
When are you thinking to start your process?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 05:57
bb wrote:
simmy818 wrote:
Any feedback ?
Thanks!

Not a ton, but I have heard anecdotally that they were up there. (not sure how comparative those are)
When are you thinking to start your process?

By next week...
Any info? Please let me know..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 14:01
My personal experience and advice is to choose someone who's been doing it for a while, knows the process and the schools you're applying to inside and out, and that you have rapport with. I am happy with my experience but think my consultant is a bit light in admissions consulting experience...I would pick the same company again, but pick a different person.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2011, 11:17
My recommendation is to read reviews on these forums,.. There is a lot of information available on consultants..

Once you are done talking with the consultants, read their reviews and then make your decision. Again, you have to do your research.. make sure they know the school you are applying to very well..
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 09:10
Hi..
Please provide ur input in this thread also... it will help us only when more n more mebers participate:)

http://gmatclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=112623&start&view=viewpoll
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 14:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I did my research well.. I read the reviews of admission consultants here, and I talked with 3 agencies.

1. MBA Missions.
2. Stacey Blackman
3. Amerasia

I am usually very through.. So, The way I compared everyone is, I sent them my resume / essays and asked them to provide feedback. (some only looked at resume) ..I will not comment on too much others, but I went ahead with Paul and will share my experience.

Some of the other agencies I talked to said they read one essay or just looked at resume and their advice was very superficial.. What i mean here is that their advice was very generic.. like you must show goodness of fit..or your goals need to match what you have been doing.. I know that. .. Paul on the other hand went through the entire package (all my essays+ Resume + goals) during our free consultation..and exactly addressed the weaknesses..like he said you have this experience X .. you need to talk more about it, it will match your goal Y which will also make you a perfect for this school Z... since the school's strengths are ... .. ..

Paul read through each and every sentence of all 4 essays and my resume - during our free consultation and provided me with feedback. I was very happy with his feedback because he was looking at the big picture and advised me with what I need to work on...

I went ahead with Paul, and he did an excellent job. What I liked about him is that he not only will help with all the essay editing etc.. But he will try to understand what you are trying to sell, what is your background.. If there are some community activities you list.. he will take the effort to learn about them , so he can better contribute to your application. It is this background research improves his knowledge of you. He tries to look holistically at your application just like the admissions would, rather than just trying to edit your essays or resume. Every call with him not only helped improved my application, but he helped bring out the best in me. He would ask about my experiences with company X and suggest ideas.

He even helped with my resume and helped me provide a guideline to my recommenders.. In the guideline I made a list of my strengths, weaknesses and other things that I want the recommenders to mention.

I had a very aggressive timeline and he met it with ease. He stayed up working late at night and also ensured that I met my date. In the end, when I was ready to submit my application, I sent him a PDF of the application and he reviewed it.

I must say his knowledge of the b-schools is outstanding. Knows the programs, knows the schools and the cultures extremely well. Again, a lot of people probably claim this, but knowing the programs with a knowledge of your background, will keep your application very relevant to you.

Throughout this process he was very easy to reach. If i wanted to discuss an essay he would be open anytime I requested. The best part was he had an email turn around time of a couple of minutes. When I sent him an email, he would respond in minutes..

I was very satisfied with this experience and would definitely recommend Paul from Amerasia if any of you are considering an admissions consultant. Send your essays and then discuss with him.

Special Kudos to MichMax and dibblebun who helped me during this process… So if there is someone who is at this crossroads, please PM me and I can provide you with more info. :!:

EDIT: I was accepted to the schools I applied to ...

Last edited by blahblahGMAT on 13 Aug 2012, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 06:38
Does anyone have the pricing for MBA Exchange? Their site doesn't say and I've heard it can be very high, but according to admissions411, they come the most highly recommended and seem to have a very good acceptance rate.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 10:03
ebonn101 wrote:
Does anyone have the pricing for MBA Exchange? Their site doesn't say and I've heard it can be very high, but according to admissions411, they come the most highly recommended and seem to have a very good acceptance rate.

You have to email/call them to find that out - or you can fill in the info for free evaluation and once they email you with the evaluation you can get the pricing also.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 07:28
ebonn101 wrote:

Last time I researched all of the consultants, I found that MBA Exchange had the best reviews and results on admissions 411, and they also came highly recommended by other applicants. Although they might provide custom quotes for each person, the baseline package was somewhere around $6,250 for four (4) schools. That's probably cost prohibitive for most applicants, but there are plenty of other consultants out there that provide similar services at more affordable rate.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 11:10
Av wrote:
ebonn101 wrote:

Last time I researched all of the consultants, I found that MBA Exchange had the best reviews and results on admissions 411, and they also came highly recommended by other applicants. Although they might provide custom quotes for each person, the baseline package was somewhere around $6,250 for four (4) schools. That's probably cost prohibitive for most applicants, but there are plenty of other consultants out there that provide similar services at more affordable rate.

I was under the impression that most of the top consulting companies have similarly high rates as MBA Exchange. Maybe I am missing something. Who do you consider affordable (e.g. a 4-5 school package less than 4K (IMO))?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 13:20
myturn2012 wrote:
Av wrote:
ebonn101 wrote:

I was under the impression that most of the top consulting companies have similarly high rates as MBA Exchange. Maybe I am missing something. Who do you consider affordable (e.g. a 4-5 school package less than 4K (IMO))?

Cost is one aspect - but dont just decide based on low cost -
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2011, 08:55
Av has an excellent point.. Try the 1~2 school package.. There are two advantages.

1. You will know how the admission consultant works..
2. You might be able to save some $$ by doing the others by yourself, using the information and research from the 2 schools you've applied to.. They pretty much ask similar information.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 07 May 2011, 14:31
I am looking to apply to European schools, does any1 has any recommendation of admission consultants for non-US schools ? Most consultants here are mostly focussed on US schools, I am looking for someone who understands and has some experience with candidates for European schools.

Schools, am targeting are INSEAD, LBS, IMD ...

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 06:45
I had email conversation with MBA Exchange, let me know if anyone needs feedback on that..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 20:37
I thought I’d throw out another name that I haven’t seen mentioned on this thread as an alternative to the larger admissions consulting firms everyone is talking about: Tyler Cormney. Tyler used to work for a large brand name consulting firm specializing in top 5 schools but spun out on his own a couple years back. I was fortunate enough to embark on the admissions process with adequate scores, grades and work experience, but I had no idea how to navigate the application process itself. Tyler and I worked on my application together for about three months; he was always patient, insightful and responsive. We carefully selected essay topics to help distinguish me from the masses (I was otherwise a white male working in finance that went to a top tier undergraduate institution . . about as generic as you can get in b-school admissions speak). I was ultimately admitted to Wharton and Kellogg and waitpooled at Stanford GSB, which I thought was a phenomenal outcome. I had a number of friends apply to school at the same time as me that I perceived to be stronger applicants (750+ GMATs, Phi Beta Kappa, bulge bracket work experience) who were rejected from these same schools. I think this is a true testament of the value of Tyler’s services. I’ve already encouraged a number of friends to work with Tyler in the future and I would strongly recommend him to anyone considering working with a consultant. Feel free to message me with questions.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 03:03
Expert's post
Hey mn2010:
If you would like to set up some time to speak about European programs, I can do that for you. Please e-mail me at MBA@amerasiaconsulting.com.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

mn2010 wrote:
I am looking to apply to European schools, does any1 has any recommendation of admission consultants for non-US schools ? Most consultants here are mostly focussed on US schools, I am looking for someone who understands and has some experience with candidates for European schools.

Schools, am targeting are INSEAD, LBS, IMD ...

Thanks in advance

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Last edited by PaulLanzillotti on 12 May 2011, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 15:34
I worked with two companies in two diff years. The experience was vastly different so I learned that what you get can differ a great deal, and be careful choosing. My first time I used MBA Mission - not so good. Was very disappointed and frustrated. The second time I was planning to go it alone but on a friend's suggestion bought some hours from Stacy Blackman Consulting. Had a spectacular (and finally successful) experience, and ended up transferring to a full package. Am not a "sure thing" type of applicant (low GPA, reapplying), I know that, but ended up with results I am ecstatic about and felt that I received A+ service all the way through.
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 12:48
I'm happy to help anyone who's got questions about:
1) Amerasia
2) MBA Apply - Alex Chu
3) HBSGuru - Sandy

I've worked with two of the above and a friend of mine worked with the third so we've got a pretty good idea of their pros and cons and some general thoughts about admissions consultants.

Feel free to PM me if you need any information.

------------------------------------------------

After being inundated by PMs, I've decided to summarize my thoughts online. Please continue reading and you'll find them. If you've still got any specific questions or would like clarification, I'd be happy to help.

Last edited by redjam17 on 18 May 2011, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 03:28
simmy818 wrote:
Got similar questions like below from other members about my experience with MBA Exchange initial chat, so I thought I will post the answers here ;) Edited version!

MBA EXCHANGE Feedback

(1) How did the meeting go for you?
Initial email exchanges were very prompt with Dan. But every email included the copy and paste of their testimonials and service they provide which looked like they are pushing their data on me.

(2) Do you know what they charge?
For 4 schools they quoted me $6700.00 Their quote varies for everyone.

(3) What is your opinion of them?
Initially I was very much impressed and liked the email conversation, but their advertized 97% admitted stuff .. No one can prove it right or wrong. Then I selected some consultant from their team I wanted to work with - and they denied. Then they provided me with a consultant who was only for 2 years with them (that too part time). And I didn't want to work with a consultant with so less experience.

(4) Anything about them you don't like?
- Not giving the information on their website - like other consultants.
- No free 1 hr or 30 min consultation
- After insisting so many times I got to speak with 1 consultant out of 4 that I requested and for only 15 min, and she exactly spoke for 14-15 min.
- Also it is 40 hrs for 4 school package, they might help more than that but if they can't you cannot go back asking why not, as 40 hr is included in their contract.

~~~ If u like this post Kudos is the way to let me know ~~~~

which consultant did u speak to ?
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies?   [#permalink] 15 May 2011, 03:28