Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Best" admission consulting companies?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 03:48
Guys,
Which companies offer essay editing on per item, not hourly basis?

I am doing my school research and alumni' interviews, therefore I don't need an ultraexpensive per-school package. Instead, I'd like someone to check essays and only them.

So far I identified two options: Precision Essays and Ivy App Success (the guy did not reply yet :) )
Are there other options out there?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '14
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 10:43
Has anybody used the B-school admissions counselling services offered by Stratusprep? (Shawn O'Connor, Vani Krishnamurthy, Samantha Merton, Vanessa Gil). please share your feedback/experience working with them?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 11:34
Ironically enough I was reading an article authored by O'Connor today on Poets and Quants. The grammar errors did not inspire confidence. As it relates to your question, no, I had not heard of them until today so I'm not sure what one should expect.

"The competition is fierce, and no one – not even superstars at Goldman, McKinsey, or Blackstone – are guaranteed admission."

"Those who get into HBS do not just show how they were the best at the job they were asked to do; instead, they show how they went above and beyond (professionally, personally, and academically) in order to create the world in which the aspire to live – not simply by attending fundraisers or making donations, but by having a much more tangible impact."

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/04/25/wh ... etting-in/
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 12:21
Thank you for your reply Gryphon. I am getting curious because they claim highest success rate at top business schools.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 77415

CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2011, 06:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
My recommendation - MBA Prepschool and Tyler Cormney

Before I started applying for b-school, I felt that most of those I knew, were planning to use, or already speaking with an admission consultant. Frankly, I never expected to use a consultant and thought the practice was somewhat insincere. I was pleasantly surprised by my experience.

I certainly never thought that I'd use a consultant. Fortunately, I realized that 1) if you use the right consultant, your experience and aspirations can be distilled into a more logical and compelling story, and 2) the fee paid is well worth it, from a relative (cost of tuition) and absolute (fair value) perspective. I never dreamed of receiving an admission call from both Wharton AND Yale (I was waitlisted at Harvard, and ultimately released). My story with Tyler is not unique. I was recommended by a close friend completing his MBA at Wharton.

Needless to say, the guidance I received was a tremendous boost to my application process. By helping me identify key career themes, understand my strengths, and communicate effectively, Tyler and MBA Prepschool made my application process about as productive and successful as possible. The framework and process that MBA Prep School's instructors have built are tremendous. My essays, resume, and interviews all were dramatically improved by incorporating lessons learned using MBAprepschool. The building blocks provided paved the way to my admission to two of my top three choices.

To anyone contemplating whether to seek an admission consultant, the choice is easy, yes. And if you're looking for a recommendation. Tyler and MBAprepschool, are a great place to start.

Feel free to reply or PM me with questions about my experience. I'd be happy to pay it forward.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 750 Q V

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2011, 13:19
Following up on my earlier promise to check out Alex and Sandy... They were pretty much as expected.

Alex was down-to-earth and realistic about what value a consultant could add (mostly reassurance, in my particular case). He did try to push me a little toward a more "comprehensive" service, but it was mostly a soft-sell and he offered a less expensive alternative as well.

Sandy recommended a more "insider" approach, but that ultimately didn't quite work out (not his fault, but it's always a gamble with these things). He did tell me he was "impressed" with my story, which was reassuring.

I found it interesting that Sandy was willing to provide more concrete advice for free - in exchange for information, it seems - while Alex was a little more coy about giving advice without my signing up for a paid service.

In the end, I've decided not to use a consultant and go it alone. The most useful advice I received was from a coworker who had applied to Stanford (and had a Stanford GSB board member write his rec - a personal, thoughtful one too!) but was waitlisted then dinged.

[clarification: yes, I'm referring to Alex Chu]
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 16:52
Has anybody worked with MBA Exchange? I don't see any comments about them on our forum. They seem to have a very very high success rate? Its hard to believe.

They seem to be in this business for 16-17 years...If anybody has any experience or feedback about them please post it here or pm me. I would appreciate all your help.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 01:30
HI everyone, thanks for the great feedbacks.

For people who have worked with Precision Essay, with with consultant did you work with? Anyone you would recommend in particular?

Thanks !
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 19:02
Hi All,
I am new to GMAT club. It's a great effort and the information here is amazing. I see lot of information about Sandy, Amaresia and other consultancies but no word about Accepted.con, Clear Admit and Stacy Blackman Consultancy.

Would really appreciate if people can share their experiences with these consultants.

If there is any other thread then please share the link.

Thanks in advance and Best of Luck!! :good
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q V
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 08:15
Does anyone know the "internal cap" for number of essay revisions the major mba admission consultants will do for you? Amerasia? Veritas? MBAapply? MBAmission?

<part 2 removed> 8-)

Last edited by llindah on 24 Jun 2011, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2294

Kudos [?]: 9031 [0], given: 3676

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 09:03
Expert's post
llindah wrote:
Does anyone know the "internal cap" for number of essay revisions the major mba admission consultants will do for you? Amerasia? Veritas? MBAapply? MBAmission?

Also, I have a free consultation set up with both Amerasia and Veritas - but they both set me up with someone named Nicole with a MBA at Kellogg. Suspicious, destiny, or coincidence in names? What do y'all think?=P Has anyone worked with her before (at Amerasia or Veritas)? I see the names Adam and Paul thrown around a lot with Amerasia and many positive comments associated with them so wanted to make sure I would be getting the same experience. PM me if you are uncomfortable posting, thanks!

Huh... very interesting! Paul used to be the lead MBA consultant for Veritas, so chances are good you may get 2 interviews with the same person!
Will be interesting - please report back after the interview if you don't mind. I am very curious.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 19:06
Dear GMAT Club members,

Has anyone used the services of Veritas Prep for admissions consulting? Would you please comment on your feedback--whether you found it useful in terms of
1) whether your objectives of hiring a consultant were met?
2) helped you prepare the great application packet (essays, resume etc.) that you wouldn't were capable of otherwise?
3) overall truthfulness of the claims made during a sales pitch.

I am told by Veritas Prep that most b-schools look for Quant score only, My Q is 50 and V 34 (Total 690). How much of that is true?

Thanks a lot.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 19:19
Hi Simmy818,

I have some questions for you regarding veritasprep as I would be joining it too. Can you please answer the following questions:
Dear GMAT Club members,

Would you please comment on your feedback--whether you found it useful in terms of
1) whether your objectives of hiring a consultant were met?
2) helped you prepare the great application packet (essays, resume etc.)
3) overall truthfulness of the claims made during a sales pitch.

I am told by Veritas Prep that most b-schools look for Quant score only, My Q is 50 and V 34 (Total 690) and I'm not sure whether i should re-take the GMAt. THey told me that if I do and get a higher score, it will surely help, but not required. How much of it is true that b-schools look for Q score more than V?
Any other positive/negative experiences with VeritasPrep?

Thanks,
reach2bhush.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 17:10
I'm looking for a recommendation on which consulting company to use. I spoke with a few of them already and bottom line is this: I want to work with someone who graduated from the school to which I'm applying. (For me, that'd be HBS.) Just makes sense to me.

I'm considering using Sandy but a friend told me he can be bit offensive though she put up with him. Has anyone used HBS Admissions Consulting? or Admissions Consultants (super generic name)? or Vince Prep (specializes in Japanese students but my non-Japanese friend referred me)? I'm leaning towards one of those but want to hear other people's experience...

Thanks!

***For other people's benefit, I was able to get a free review from some of them which gave me another data point to evaluate them on...
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 156

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 22:46
MikePDiddy wrote:
I'm looking for a recommendation on which consulting company to use. I spoke with a few of them already and bottom line is this: I want to work with someone who graduated from the school to which I'm applying. (For me, that'd be HBS.) Just makes sense to me.

I'm considering using Sandy but a friend told me he can be bit offensive though she put up with him. Has anyone used HBS Admissions Consulting? or Admissions Consultants (super generic name)? or Vince Prep (specializes in Japanese students but my non-Japanese friend referred me)? I'm leaning towards one of those but want to hear other people's experience...

Thanks!

***For other people's benefit, I was able to get a free review from some of them which gave me another data point to evaluate them on...

Hi, MbaMission seems to have almost all consultants who graduated from Harvard BS. Check their web site.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 00:17
Michmax3 wrote:
reach2bhush wrote:

I am told by Veritas Prep that most b-schools look for Quant score only, My Q is 50 and V 34 (Total 690) and I'm not sure whether i should re-take the GMAt.
quote]

That's bs...I had a 41 Q, 690 total, B avg in undergrad math, and no quantitative work experience. It obviously won't hurt you to get a higher score, but i think people place way too much emphasis on it. Everyone's app is different but looking back I wouldv'e much rather spent that extra 4 months working on essays than studying for a re-take for which I ended up getting 10 points less anyways :roll:

To say that only the quant score is looked at by most schools is to say that the Verbal section is there on the exam for no reason at all. Each school looks at the Quant score in a different light and its relevance may be different for different applicants. If you're from an over-represented applicant pool in which a lot of applicants score more than 700, you might give it another shot and see how things go. But to draw a general conclusion that schools only look at the quant score seems a little off.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 750 Q V

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 14:38
I got a question about why I chose not to hire a consultant in the end, so I'll answer here (sorry if it's off-topic).

In brief: I got pretty far on my own the first time around. I got an interview and was waitlisted before eventually being rejected. I had three friends review an early draft of my app and didn't give my recommendation writers any guidance. I feel better prepared this time, have a decent idea of why I didn't make it this cycle and (apologies in advance to everyone who chose differently) ultimately decided it didn't *feel right*.

At the end of the day, it's a personal choice. No judgment. (For context: nobody else looked at my undergraduate applications... my friends, parents and high school counselor/teachers really wanted to and I said no to all of them. To have three friends look at my MBA app was already a big step.)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 19:53
Av wrote:
If I had to generalize, I believe that schools look at your overall GMAT score, with heightened interest in your quant score. A 690 with a Q50 is a great score, but it's only one component of your application. If you can present a strong and unique personal brand in your application essays to complement your 690, you should have no problem being admitted (even with a scholarship).

Achieving the highest GMAT score you can and delivering powerful essays can be a difficult balance. For me, I had plenty of time and felt that a re-take was a worthwhile investment (I still believe it was). Your score is definitely adequate, so only re-take if you believe it will help you balance your application (or if it's intrinsically important to you).

690 is more than adequate. Every admission consultant I spoke with has agreed that anything in the middle 50% is adequate. Harvard's 50% scores 700 and above but that's an exception. 690 is basically 700.

Your GMAT score, at the end of the day, is only 3 characters long. It can only have so much of an impact. It is important if you had a low GPA and / or went to a no-name undergraduate university.

Aside from those cases, you should spend your time on your application. Write something that will blow away the AdCom. I'm using one admissions consultant now that has been really helpful:

http://www.hbsadmissionsconsulting.com
Current Student
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 3.93
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 02:17
I can't see anything on Clear Admit so I'll add my experience.

I never actually engaged with an admissions consultant per say but I did purchase both the school guides and interview guides for Yale, Dartmouth, and HBS.

The information in the guides can be found all over the web but I thought that Clear Admit did a great job of collating and presenting the information in an easy to read, logical format, and I would definitely recommend that you purchase these documents as the cornerstone of your research into b-school as they will save you hours of trawling the web. Throughout the documents Clear Admit adds their own thoughts and ideas regarding the info, and while these sections are good I thought that they could expand them and perhaps include several perspectives (I guess they have to keep something back for the actual consultant services).

The interview guides are good also but I would recommend that you only purchase them once you are awarded an interview as they are of limited use before that. Also, each of the interview guides includes a generic section that is recycled from one to the next. I would have preferred to see those sections as a separate document rather that mixed into each guide.

My experience with Clear Admit was good overall and while I can't offer any advice regarding the quality of the higher priced consulting services I can certainly say that their research is solid and as a company they put out high quality material.
Expert Post
MBA Prep School CEO & Co-Founder
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 08:28
Expert's post
Hello. This post is from Tyler Cormney of MBA Prep School, and I wanted to join the thread to thank my clients for the positive reviews about me and the admissions consulting services we provide at MBA Prep School. Having read all the posts, I am so happy to see that many have benefitted from working with admissions consultants. There are many talented consultants in this field, and I encourage you to meet and talk with the ones that make it on your short list to determine who fits best with your needs and your personality.

As a consultant, I get to know my clients better than just about anyone else in their lives. It's so rewarding when they earn an acceptance letter from their dream school. That's why I love this job! I've been a consultant for six years now, and what I have learned is that the candidates who seriously engage with the process and are relentless in building a an outstanding application realize the best results. Make no mistake, this is a demanding process even with a coach to help you, perhaps more so.

At MBA Prep School, our mission is to make the applicants that engage with us more competitive. While there is certainly a marketing/strategy element to the admission consulting process, the intensive strengths discovery, career goals setting, and school research steps we guide our clients through make them stronger candidates than they were when they started the process and that shines through in the applications they create.

There have been a number of questions on this thread about more affordable admissions consulting options. MBA Prep School has created on-demand admissions consulting videos and published an eBook to put the principles and practices that admissions consultants use within reach for more applicants. In addition to our on-demand videos and web-based tools, we also offer editing services and hourly consultations for more targeted help for those on a budget. There is no way to perfectly emulate the experience of working one-on-one with an admissions consultant, but we have taken advantage of the latest online learning tools to create more affordable options.

I would be happy to answer any questions GMAT Club members have about how the admissions consulting process works and how MBA Prep School can help. You can PM me or reach me via our website: (http://mbaprepschool.com).

Tyler Cormney
MBA Prep School

MBA Prep School provides you with power tools for building a winning MBA application. Our on-demand admissions consulting videos and application prep tools will increase your chances of being accepted by your dream school.

Take the first step toward your dream school -- for Free!: http://mbaprepschool.com
Read our eBook: http://mbaprepschool.com/ebook
For GMAT Club Discounts: http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/mba-pr ... gmat-club/

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies?   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2011, 08:28