Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Best" admission consulting companies?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 06:19
Hi,
I wanted to contribute something to this discussion and share my experiences working on my MBA application with Aringo.com:

I had a great (and successful :) ) experience working with my Aringo.com consultant -- and I can honestly say I wouldn't have gotten in if it wasn't for the help I got with the package.

The key thing is making sure you have a chemistry with the consultant -- that's why I think Aringo is better than the freelancers out there; if you're unhappy (or if the consultant is sick / swamped / on holidays and you got a deadline...) you have the flexibility to change. I also like the fact they got the widest variety of MBA alums - so if you're applying to a few programs, you can have an alum of each school check your application package, and you get a chance to speak with alums of all the top programs.

My 2 cents...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 14:44
Has anyone worked with Yaron from Precision Essay? Would be really helpful if you could share your experience. If u'r hesitant sharing it openly, feel free to PM me. TIA
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 06:19
pkatmi wrote:
Has anyone worked with Yaron from Precision Essay? Would be really helpful if you could share your experience. If u'r hesitant sharing it openly, feel free to PM me. TIA

Actually one more thing - any views on whether it is ok to ask for references for specific consultants I'm considering? I know some companies have testimonials up on their website, but it's hard to tell which specific consultant the testimonial is written for.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 09:00
First of all, thanks everyone for this wonderful thread. I found it quite useful in narrowing down my choices. Having said that, can anyone please offer any insight on the following consultants?

- MBA Exchange. I have gone through the initial email dialogue but I just can't find any *real* reviews. I found an old thread at Business Week (http://forums.businessweek.com/bw-bscho ... ?msg=86996) but all the positive reviews are by first-time posters. Can someone suggest how are their consultants, their responsiveness etc.

- Clear Admit: Deciding between Brett and Stacey. Any feedback?
- Bill at Stacy Blackman: Already saw the great review but is he focused more towards EMBAs?

Thanks a bunch guys!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE: Research (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 19:19
Any experience with Paul S. Bodine as admission consultant?
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 19:59
CAMBA13 wrote:
I thought I’d throw out another name that I haven’t seen mentioned on this thread as an alternative to the larger admissions consulting firms everyone is talking about: Tyler Cormney. Tyler used to work for a large brand name consulting firm specializing in top 5 schools but spun out on his own a couple years back. I was fortunate enough to embark on the admissions process with adequate scores, grades and work experience, but I had no idea how to navigate the application process itself. Tyler and I worked on my application together for about three months; he was always patient, insightful and responsive. We carefully selected essay topics to help distinguish me from the masses (I was otherwise a white male working in finance that went to a top tier undergraduate institution . . about as generic as you can get in b-school admissions speak). I was ultimately admitted to Wharton and Kellogg and waitpooled at Stanford GSB, which I thought was a phenomenal outcome. I had a number of friends apply to school at the same time as me that I perceived to be stronger applicants (750+ GMATs, Phi Beta Kappa, bulge bracket work experience) who were rejected from these same schools. I think this is a true testament of the value of Tyler’s services. I’ve already encouraged a number of friends to work with Tyler in the future and I would strongly recommend him to anyone considering working with a consultant. Feel free to message me with questions.

Hey 'CAMBA13' -

First off - congrats on making it to Kellogg and thanks for sharing your experience with Tyler. It is really helpful.

I'm actually strongly considering using Tyler's services and had a couple of questions about it. It would be really great if you could answer -

1. Did you use the Premium package or the hourly services? If you did premium, did you do all schools at once or did you start with 1 school and added more later?
2. Did you ever feel that you had to wait too long to get responses?
3. Typically how much time in a week did he spend with you on phone?
4. Anything that you did not like about his services?

As you can understand, it is a significant investment of time and money and I want to make sure I'm going with the right person.

Thanks again.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 09:56
Hi Everyone,

I know that this is for reviews but I've been surprised that I can't find anything at all on MBAadmit and Shelly Watts. If anyone has worked with her it would be great to hear about the experience. Thanks to everyone who's contributing!
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 23:16
InseadGrad wrote:
Hi,
I wanted to contribute something to this discussion and share my experiences working on my MBA application with Aringo.com:

I had a great (and successful :) ) experience working with my Aringo.com consultant -- and I can honestly say I wouldn't have gotten in if it wasn't for the help I got with the package.

The key thing is making sure you have a chemistry with the consultant -- that's why I think Aringo is better than the freelancers out there; if you're unhappy (or if the consultant is sick / swamped / on holidays and you got a deadline...) you have the flexibility to change. I also like the fact they got the widest variety of MBA alums - so if you're applying to a few programs, you can have an alum of each school check your application package, and you get a chance to speak with alums of all the top programs.

My 2 cents...

Hey InseadGrad,
Thanks for sharing. can you recommend a specific Aringo.com consultant? I see they have many. Also, did their specialty in countering low GMAT scores make the difference in your case? how can they help an applicant with low GMAT? (yes, I'm talking about myself :( )
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 03:38
Hey,
sorry for the late reply...

I can't recommend a specific consultant, but as for the "low GMAT strategy" I recommend watching their video lecture:
http://www.aringo.com/low_gmat.htm

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 12:58
This post is very helpful for my B-school application. Thanks for the great work!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 344 [0], given: 13

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 11:44
goldgoldandgold wrote:
One more ....

.. . .

Questions? Please Ask!

Hi!

tx for your informative posts!

i have sent you couple of pm's

pls respond

GS

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Feedback on Amerasia [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 21:35
Any feedback on Drew Hoff from Amerasia? If you have feedback, pm me. Thanks!

Give me kudos if you like my post!

Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 09:34
Hi All,

Can somebody tell me about “My best application”. I am thinking of getting my applications done from this company.

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 01:56
Hi,

I found this thread and thought i'd share my insights:

First of all, about applying to b-school and my decision - An MBA at a top school is probably an unparalleled opportunity to catapult your career, and one of the most meaningful decisions one can make. INSEAD is one of the best schools in the world and is a unique in its combination of an intensive and challenging 1-year program; a general management, strategy and entrepreneurship focus; and an incredibly diverse student body where no one nationality has more than 10%.
An MBA from an elite school will not turn you into something you are not, but in today's job market it will put you in front of the right opportunities, which you can then capture using your own skills and strengths.

Regarding using admission consultants, as a former Aringo.com customer, what I liked best was (a) having someone with years of experience and a wide perspective do a sanity check on my positioning, strategy (b) the flexibility of choosing the right model to fit my needs, from just spending a few hours to review, to creating and executing a full plan, hand-in-hand. This is probably a more important life choice than buying a house, so I would advise applicants to realize that and to plan and budget accordingly.

Hope this helps, I'd be happy to answer questions if you have any.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden,Cambridge,Duke,UCLA
WE 1: Information technology, 7 years

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 09:56
I am confused to zero in on the right admission consultant -

I have shortlisted 2 at this point - MBAExchange and MBAmission.
Would someone with experience mind comparing these two consultants?
Can anyone provide reviews on Deepak Punwani from MBA Exchange? thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 09:38
Edit: Moderator Note: First time poster; low credibility
The post has indeed been made from NYC, so this could be a real Columbia student
The registered email, however does not belong to CBS

I’m an internationalstudent from China and just started my dream school, Columbia. I would like tosay without the help form Ivy MBA Consulting, I wouldn’t make this far.

During that long andslow-moving application period, it is Ivy who has been always there, day andnight, to help me conquer the thorniest difficulties in my application. Theyare MBA insiders, essay crackers, life coaches and most importantly, closefriends.

The Ivy MBAConsulting advisors have MBA degree and they even have admission officers fromtop MBA programs join their team. This makes sure they have the first-handinformation about what MBA programs are looking for and how to best presentmyself in the application. In the very beginning, the Ivy team helped me lookretrospect into every details of my past career, education and life, so as todiscover the most special and competent “me” to present my stories. There aretimes that I wasn’t sure which route I would take and it was my adviser whoalways provided the most constructive and professional advises that helped meout.

I wouldn’t emphasizehow crucial essays are in the whole application package. As the applicant whoseeducation language is not English, writing essays has been the dauntingchallenge for me. It is my adviser who helped me modify essays for thousands oftimes. When I compared my first draft essay with the final version, which hasthe beautiful flow, compelling logic and precise description, I couldn’tappreciate more on how much my adviser and the Ivy team has helped me. Moreimportantly, even though Ivy team and I remotely worked together during thewhole application process, communication has always been in time, consistentand seamless.

Ivy MBA Consulting isnot merely a team of advisors but more a group of close friends. There alwayshas been the time that you feel unconfident, disappointed, helpless during theapplication. I couldn’t remember how many times my adviser kept encouraging,inspiring me and helping me rationally analyzing the problems we met so that Iwouldn’t get frustration. All these have bolstered my confidence and I wouldn’tget into Columbia without their spirit support.

During the interviewsessions, the Ivy team would contact the right advisor, who is the MBA graduatefrom the school which I received invitation from, to conduct mock interview forme. I am so glad that through talking with different people, I would be able toimprove my presentation and storytelling skills. Even more, the school alumnihave provided me the most relevant information and resources of the school,which would for sure contribute to my successful interviews.

In the end, I want toextend my sincere thanks to my adviser Eli and the whole Ivy team! I would bemore than happy to answer any questions for the future applicants. Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 20:33
I worked with Adam at Amerasia for my applications last year and I would've been completely lost without him. I have a strong academics (98% GMAT, 3.7 undergrad GPA), but my work experience was very lacking (3 years of computer programming at a bank). I was very impressed by his knowledge and enthusiasm after our initial 1 hour consultation, so I decided to take a 2 school package.

Coming from a very technical background (computer programming) I really had no idea where to start with any of my apps, but with his extensive school-specific knowledge, I was able to put together a decent set of essays. He helped me look at what I felt were very mundane experiences from a different perspective and put them into a convincing essays. Over a span of a couple months, Adam not only gave me extremely helpful critiques and revisions of my essays, he helped guide me through what turned out to be a great introspective experience. I was very happy with his work, and decided to use them for another 3 schools. In the end, while I was dinged by HBS, Stanford, MIT (which I chalk up to my young age and weaker work experience), I was able to secure an admission to UCLA Anderson as a round 3 applicant, and am starting there this fall. It definitely would not have been possible without the help and hard work of Adam!

If you have any questions about my experience with Amerasia or Adam, please feel free to send me a PM.
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 20:39
What are the prices for Ivy MBA Consultants?

I have been researching consultants for some time now and I can't settle on a single company, or person. They are all so expensive and I feel like the big companies just set you up with young consultants out of b-school who don't really have any extensive knowledge of the application process except from their own experience applying. Thats not worth $4,000 in my opinion. I would like a consultant that does this full time, preferably based in nyc. Any recommendations?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 23:13
For someone based out of India (or even in North America), 'Experts Global' located in Delhi, India is a very compelling choice.

I am availing their services and they helped me boost my score from 680-690 to 750 (Q50/V41).

I have now signed up for their 'application packages' service.
They can present your story in the essays convincingly and convey your candidature with amazing clarity.
It is run by few of guys who have themselves gone through the process of the MBA apps and know what it takes.

They will charge you a fraction of what other Ivy agencies may charge, but I think they are very effective!

I don't know if getting everything I want would make me happy, but the opposite is not working at all!!

Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 00:09
Edit: Moderator Note: First time poster; low credibility
However, registered 5 months before posting this; continues to visit the site more or less regularly

Just want to share a little bit on Precision Essay. Let me do some disclaimer first - I am new to the forum. Now,I am still having the service with the firm.

Honestly, I wish I had read this comment earlier...

I do agree with Sanv. For typo, I did experience that after they edited my resume and said that was prefect. I almost trusted them 100% to submit it right away. Luckily, I also sent to my friend to ask for final comments and he found at least 3-4 mistakes in the resume.

Knowledge of Specifc School Themes: I agree that PE does not add any value in this sense. I hoped to get extra insight about the school given I paid for a better application. But unfortunately, so far, I got nothing specific. Or that shows I have done a very good job to understand the school already (just wish that is the case...)

For other comments below, I do agree with most of the points. But while I am still working with them, I am pushing them harder to address the problems and weaknesses.... Now, it may be unfair to give all in detail.

I will come back and add more color later....

sanv wrote:
MBA Consultant Comparison - Precision Essay vs. Amerasia
I am using two different consultants this season, both Full package - 1 school. I don't recommend doing this, I was on a time crunch and couldn't decide which I wanted to go with. Precision Essay cost a lot less and since it would basically be the same price for 1 full package from each company as it would for 1 full and 1 smaller package just from Amerasia, I went with 1 full each and figured that way if I wanted to add another school later, I would know which one I preferred. I am still in the application process and have not received decisions from either of these schools yet, but wanted to share my experience now in case it helps someone else who is deciding. I evaluated each on the following criteria:

Knowledge of Specifc School Themes: Precision: C Amerasia: A
Amerasia knew the insights of the school and what they were looking for, I don't think Precision even knew what the essay questions were if I didn't tell them

Learning about me to bring out best aspects: Precision: B Amerasia: A-
I had to keep reminding Precision of my weaknesses and plead for help in addressing them. Amerasia told me what they were and already had advice for me on the intial consultation call

Content of Edits Precision: B+ Amerasia: A
Amerasia read and edited with whole picture in mind, Precision did well in bringing more clarity out of me, but the themes I wanted to portray somehow kept getting lost. It was a bit frustrating, they would blanketly cut out sections, then later say I need more detail. Also found a typo after submitting my essay! My fault, I should have proofread better, but I later discovered this made it through 2 versions of their edits, how could they have missed that? Also lots of typos in their responses to me, not a big deal, but hard to take seriously.

Turn-around time for edits Precision: A+ Amerasia: A
Precision would sometimes send revisions back the same day and was very sensitive to my deadline. Yet to experience either very positive or very negative from Amerasia as far as response time, seems about right, and my deadline for this one is not as urgent, so pretty good to start.

Overall Value for money Precision: C Amerasia: A
I don't feel I got the full value of Precision's Deluxe package. Part of this is my fault, I did not give them much lead time before my application was due, but I was also not familiar with the process and how much time I needed. I gave them my deadline and I feel as a consultant they really should have told me you will only have time to get to the essays and a Junior package would be fine. But instead they sold me on the Deluxe, claiming it was necessary for the first one, yet I only got one resume edit (he recommended I lengthen it to two pages...huh?), no time for recommender advice, no evaluation of my application as a whole etc. all which are supposed to be included in the Deluxe. The time I needed to get the full value just wasn't there and I wish they would have been honest about that. I would consider Precision again only if I needed help with essay revisions, but as a consultant helping to shape my overall application, I would look elsewhere.

Amerasia is absolutely worth the money in my opinion, plus I see they are offering 15% off now in the GMAT Club marketplace...the decision is a no brainer. I also really like their fee structure, how you pay a lower price up front and only pay the extra $300 if you are extended an interview invite. At least that way you are not paying up front for a service you might not need if you do not get invited. I am just getting started with them but already feel good about it. Hope this comparison helps to decide, good luck everyone!
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies?   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2011, 00:09