Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Best" admission consulting companies?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 11:02
great posts and feed back. glad to see reps from the consultants as well.

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2011, 09:24
Has anyone worked with Pythagurus, India?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 11:28
BlueRobin wrote:
I will provide a review on my experience with Several Admission Consultants (Omitting Names).

In the end, I would say to any applicant, use your intelligence, which fetched you amazing laurels, talk to other applicants, and approach a consultant. Above all, have a control on your application and make sure your consultant keeps up his end of the bargain.

Thanks BlueRobin for sharing your thoughts in such a well structured manner..
I think what would be REALLY helpful for everyone is if you could actually name the consultants you worked with...That, I believe would definitely add value and give everyone a real sense of consultants before approaching them...

Hope you don't mind sharing!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 22:03
My post is meant to inform other applicants over the measures that they need to take. It does not concern a specific consultant, as I have worked with several consultants over the two application cycles.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9410 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 22:06
Expert's post
BlueRobin wrote:
My post is meant to inform other applicants over the measures that they need to take. It does not concern a specific consultant, as I have worked with several consultants over the two application cycles.

Thank you for the post - I added a link to your guidelines in the first post of this thread.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, Other
Schools: Thunderbird
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 15:07
Baffling? Simple litmus test, actually. If you truly feel it was not an unfair advantage, would you have admitted to it during the interview? Most people would not, because hiring help to significantly edit your writing isn't fair for the rest of applicants who can't afford to, period.

Getting friends to proofread your grammar is acceptable. Hiring someone to build your story and significantly modify your writing IMO is not acceptable. You didn't have the wherewithal to build your own personal strategy/story, too bad! The level of involvement the consultant played in your essays, would it have even been allowed in a university English class? I don't think so.

I really hope you realize that you're lying to yourself and rationalizing it away. I might add that I would presume that adcoms are good at sniffing out these types of thing at the point.

rpratt620 wrote:
Occasionally, the issue of the ethics of using a consultant to aid in the app process emerges. My thought is that if professional writers use professional editors, why would someone applying to b-school, not use the resource of a consultant? Baffling to me why more people don't use them (and why I didn't use one sooner!).
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 21:30
ssh00 wrote:
Baffling? Simple litmus test, actually. If you truly feel it was not an unfair advantage, would you have admitted to it during the interview? Most people would not, because hiring help to significantly edit your writing isn't fair for the rest of applicants who can't afford to, period.

Getting friends to proofread your grammar is acceptable. Hiring someone to build your story and significantly modify your writing IMO is not acceptable. You didn't have the wherewithal to build your own personal strategy/story, too bad! The level of involvement the consultant played in your essays, would it have even been allowed in a university English class? I don't think so.

I really hope you realize that you're lying to yourself and rationalizing it away. I might add that I would presume that adcoms are good at sniffing out these types of thing at the point.

rpratt620 wrote:
Occasionally, the issue of the ethics of using a consultant to aid in the app process emerges. My thought is that if professional writers use professional editors, why would someone applying to b-school, not use the resource of a consultant? Baffling to me why more people don't use them (and why I didn't use one sooner!).

no intention in getting into this debate... but hey, if you can't beat the system, join it.

over n out.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 13:03
Post deleted

Last edited by fidelity on 18 Oct 2011, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 03:05
Hi to fellow MBA aspirants,

4 months ago, I was as anxious as many of you were or are during your application process. One big part of that anxiety was finding the right guidance and help through the application process. I must say, that after working with Tyler Cormney, I feel I have addressed much of that anxiety.

I just wrapped up one of my round-1 applications with Tyler and was thoroughly impressed by the experience. I wanted to pass on a quick interim review to provide a great option to my fellow gclubbers. I will try to make this note as objective as possible so that you are able to quickly pick up the information that you need while finalizing a MBA- consultant.

Apart from excelling in other aspects of any consultant, two areas really stood out during my experience with Tyler.

Structure and approach:
Tyler’s experience coupled with very well researched MBAprepschool was a great way to organize my mba applications. (mbaprepschool com) has broken down the daunting application-discovery process in a series of well defined and actionable exercises. Traditionally, I would have spent 20% of time doing the groundwork and 80% writing the essays. Tyler’s process forced me to spend around 50% of my time to get a good base of leadership stories, career goals and key differentiators even before I had looked at my essays for my first school. This I believe added great value when I started with my first drafts.

Flexibility: One-on-one MBA counseling might sound like a Cliché, but I must say I got the true benefit out of it. Personal one-on-one counseling is much more than just giving unlimited time for editing and phone calls. Tyler with his professional experiences was the perfect sounding board for my career goals and other aspects of my application. I was pretty disciplined in the application process, thanks to Tyler emphasis on sticking to the cadence. But, Tyler provided a great deal of flexibility at times editing turnarounds less than 24 hours during the final few days before the deadline. In general, I would advise against having essay turnaround time as a criterion for selection. Most consultants would approach Editing as an additive process, adding tweaks or changes to existing material. Editing calls for a holistic review each time even if it is like the 5th draft. It does take lot of effort and heart deleting major portions of your almost final essay if it doesn’t bring the best possible impact. This is an area I benefited the most working with Tyler.

One of the areas, which worked well for my working style but might not for everyone, is structure of phone meetings. I usually took the lead on most calls and asked specific questions from the edited essays. Tyler was willing to provide guidance wherever needed. I am sure, he will flexible on working out a different approach to phone conversations.

Great experience overall, highly recommend working with Tyler. (www(dot)tylercormney(dot)com) At-least signup for the MBAprepschool. A service that is totally worth it.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Feedback on Amerasia [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 17:48
bschool2014 wrote:
Any feedback on Drew Hoff from Amerasia? If you have feedback, pm me. Thanks!

Hi,

I am also intersted in finding out about Drew Hoff, if anyone has any experience with him, I would appreciate if you can share it with me. PM me.

Thanks a lot !
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 05:00
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi all,

I would like to review a few consultants I used. For the following I used the FREE consultation which enabled me to get a good view of the service the companies offered. Also, for JK Consulting I paid for 1 essay edit.
So here it goes:

1) AMERASIA - Drew Hoff
Amerasia was overall the best service of all I used. Drew was fantastic. Very quick to interact with me and paid special attention to my profile. He also possessed good info on international schools and was especially accurate at pin-pointing the right school for my profile. His advice was honest and constructive. BEST CHOICE FOR OVERALL PACKAGE. Drew is especially recommended.
2) Precision Essay
Although the service is "basic" because it only formats essays I must say that Jon Frank is fantastic when it comes to essay editing. He is relaxed, friendly and really helps improve an essay. The free consultation edited half an essay but the work done was so good it actually transformed the whole product. Good to note, that when I asked for more advice Jon quickly and happily provided. In fact he actually eneded up "fixing" my whole essay. FANTASTIC ATTITUDE and very quick and good work. Top choice for essays
3) JK Consulting. JK seemed to have a great package. Nice website, lots of testimonials and cheap prices. Alas, I must say I was VERY annoyed. Overall the essay edit I paid for was cheap. But instead of providing constructive criticism I felt my essay was thrashed simply for me to feel inadequate so I would buy more services. Considering, I worked on my essay alone and got admitted into HEC Paris and ESADE my point of criticism for business is re-endorsed. Comparing to precision essay there is a huge price difference and also quality difference. This is not to say JK is all bad. Some points given in the essay truly helped me move forward and I consider that I was greatly helped. Overall I would say use only if you can make the effort to understand which comments are helpful.
Here is my biggest issue: I was asked to provide feedback on the essay which I did via email. 2 days later, WITHOUT my consent I was quoted on the website as an admitted student to a MBA. Not only was I not admitted but my privacy was not respected. The comment was taken down per my request...but too little too late.
4) Stacey Blackman. Overall very good. My consultant was fantastic but I felt I needed to push the information out of her. Feedback was good but I felt my unique profile wasn't valued as much; they didn't see my potential. I was told I probably wouldn't get into Ross or Tuck. Considering my admit into HEC and my recent interview request from Ross I see that as a mistake. Nonetheless, good service but Amerasia was a better choice for me.

I hope I helped a bit here... I must say that Precision and Amerasia were both top choices. A special note for Drew Hoff who dosent have many reviews here: He is absolute fantastic. Quick, accurate, very good work overall.
I wanted to focus my reviews on the bottom line. If anyone needs specific information I am happy to provide.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 63

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 21:50
Does any of older applicants (above 32) here have successful experience with any of the admission consultants?
As I see, two of the biggest challenges in my profile are (a) I am already 32; will be 33 by the time I start school, (b) I also fall in one of the vastly representative & thus very competitive category in mba admissions.

Since in articulating their essays, older applicants face a slightly different set of challenges than those faced by candidates in their mid to late 20s, I was wondering if anyone with a similar background had a positive experience with any admission consultants?

I will greatly appreciate any response.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 03:12
How about Expartus or Janet Stark?
Has anybody used their services or has any sort of experience with these guys?
Reviews and comments are welcome.
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 19:53
Is it a B-school requirement to be on the AIGAC list? I do not see Essay Snark or Amerasia (Paul) listed on their website. Are B-schools ok with that? I do not want to jeopardize my application in anyway.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 06:32
Would like to know which of these consultants do the best MBA resume services?
Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 08:55
ss87 wrote:
Would like to know which of these consultants do the best MBA resume services?
Thanks!

It's not difficult to do so yourself, the issue is that consult may actually mislead you in that topic!
SO have a look at CVs of current students and do that work yourself.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 06:32
hello guys!
i'm looking for good admission consulting companies that also specialize on JD/MBA programs.
Do you know some of them which have a good reputation and their consultants also got admitted to JD/MBA programs of top schools?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 02:33
veve wrote:
hello guys!
i'm looking for good admission consulting companies that also specialize on JD/MBA programs.
Do you know some of them which have a good reputation and their consultants also got admitted to JD/MBA programs of top schools?

Adam @ Amerasia
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 47

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 04:27
Guys,

Does any one have any idea about Admission consultants for MSc programmes. ?

I contacted almost everyone. Everyone seem to be pretty fine in engaging me. But i haven't found any reviews of these consultants with respect to MSc Courses. :( Need some inputs badly.

D- Day December 30 2011. Hoping for the happiest new year celebrations !

Aiming for 700+

Kudo me if the post is worth it

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.75
WE: Supply Chain Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 06:42
I finished up my applications and wanted to provide some feedback about my experiences with consultants. First, I applied to Harvard, Columbia, Kellogg, Tuck, and Johnson. I was accepted at Columbia, and interviewed with Kellogg and Johnson (waiting to hear back from them, along with Tuck. Dinged at Harvard).

In general, I strongly recommend anyone serious about a top-10 program take advantage of the insight and expertise that an established consultant can offer. At a minimum, get the free initial consultation to hear their thoughts. Going into the process, I had a decent idea of my "brand" and the stories I wanted to tell, and I consider myself a strong writer. I was hesitant to pay for help, but I was also concerned that I wouldn't be writing about the right things, or framing my essays for optimal impact. Getting the perspective of someone who was an expert on the admissions process made sense (you'd have a lawyer read a contract, or an accountant check your taxes, right?).

The first resource I found, and one of the best available, is the essaysnark blog. The snark ripped apart (in a good way) one of my first attempts at an essay, and provided great feedback. The articles are full of relevant and practical (and free) advice. I ended up purchasing a small package to help finish one of the last essays I was working on, and the quality (and speed) of the work was awesome. I also won a Twitter contest and got a free Columbia school guide :). Definitely check it out to get yourself started. (5 out of 5)

Then I started researching more formal (i.e. paid) options. I filled out a consultation request form with MBA Crystal Ball, only to find out they specialize in Indian applicants (I'm Caucasian from America). No matter, Sameer still offered to review my profile, and I ended up using their MBA Mock Application Process. It was a great value, and the mock interview really helped me articulate some of the key points I'd want to highlight later in the process. (4 out of 5 for me, probably higher for Indian applicant)

Sameer recommended I check out Precision Essay for additional help, and I spoke with Jon for a free consultation. In about 45 minutes, he synthesized my (non-traditional: logistics and military) background and career goals (MC) into a thorough and compelling story. I started slowly with their services (still convinced that, because I was a good writer, I could write good admissions essays), and they didn't pressure me to do anything more than I was comfortable with at the time. Eventually, I realized that their input would be an advantage, so I upgraded to a two school junior deluxe package (Columbia and Kellogg). The edits, turnaround time, customer service, and overall experience were all fantastic. Obviously, the final product speaks for itself (accepted at Columbia and had a great interview with a Kellogg alum). (5 out of 5; highly recommended)

During my research, I also received a free consultation from Clear Admit. I don't have anything negative to say: the discussion was helpful, the staff was friendly, and the follow-up service was good. But during the conversation, one big negative aspect of my situation came up (just left the military, and was spending some time in Europe = unemployed). We never really moved forward from this point, even though I was clear it was something that wouldn't change and that would have to be dealt with on my application. The response was basically "you should try to find a job" instead of thinking of how to frame and overcome the issue - this turned me off from their services. (3 out of 5, based strictly on the initial consultation; could be better as you get more in-depth)

Finally, in addition to all the paid services, most of the consultants offer a variety of free resources that I found very helpful during the application process. Stacy Blackman sent me a free "Designing Your Business School Brand" guide, Accepted offered a free report on how to fix the "5 Fatal Flaws" of college personal statements, Amerasia provided free guides on "How to Apply to Harvard Business School" (and Columbia), and Veritas Prep has an entire collection of Annual Reports for all the top schools. Add to these resources blogs, wikis, and forums that are hosted on most of their websites, and there's a ton of material out there to help you create the best application you can. I recommend you take advantage of all of it.
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies?   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2011, 06:42