Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Best" admission consulting companies?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 17:58
Unfortunately this doesn't quite fit here, but I'm hoping to add some insight in to who might be the worst. Hopefully this will help someone not make the same mistake I did by choosing MyMBAAdmit (http://www.mymbaadmit.com/) run by Khyati Soparkar. She even has the GMATClub icon linked, which I mistakenly took as an endorsement.

I worked directly with Khyati, who provided little beyond simple grammatical edits. Her comments where so shallow and generic that I ultimately hired another consultant to help out. In addition,Khyati would consistently claim to over-deliver on deadlines when at best she provided comments after about 3 days. Her services were absolutely not worth it. She focuses on being low cost, and that certainly comes with low quality. Unlike other consultants who make admissions consulting their full time mission, Khyati evidently had a tremendous challenge in making enough time to help me out. I'll keep this short but please feel free to pm me with any questions you might have.

Edit: Negative Review - Watch Out for this provider, MyMBAAdmit.
Not to be confused with MBA Admit by Dr. Shell Watson who has positive reviews: ask-mba-admit-dr-shel-watts-104894.html
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 20:18
Expert's post
Hey nothingelsematters:
I really can't say too much or comment about what went down because I am not sure exactly what happened (i.e. anonymous comments.) However, I'll take you at your word and apologize for not meeting an expectation that I laid out. As hard as it is to hear your feedback, I will learn from it. In case you don't see this, I'll PM you as well.
Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 11:22
I definitely looked around at all the big ones out there. Even got a few free consults.

Out of all of them, Essay Snark has been the absolute most helpful. This comes with a couple caveats. They're a little more casual in their commentary... and they can be absolutely BRUTAL. But I'd rather go through someone looking over my essays and saying "No, rewrite this" than having an essay company serve me some "oh, this is nice, here are a few suggestions to clean up your grammar". You have to be thick-skinned to go through with them, but they got me to Michigan and I couldn't be more excited about it.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 07:07
Hi all, planning to apply this year or next to a MBA school. Has anyone used anyone from mbaapplicants - John or Adam? Their website seems very impressive and informative but cannot find them much on other sources.

Thx,
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 08:44
tenisprox wrote:
I only worked with one company and so can only speak to them but I interfaced with a lot of people at SBC and every single interaction was extremely professional and positive. Now the results...I am going to Stanford. I also was admitted to 2 other top schools and received one scholarship. I was not admitted to Wharton. So I hope that this was helpful - it is my way of saying thank you to Stacy Blackman Consulting and Fiona and hopefully helping those of you who are at the beginning stages of this process.

I won't waste time writing a similar long winded review but I have to say my experience with Stacy Blackman Consulting was very similar to that of tenisprox. They run a really great service and are professionals all around. I can answer more specific questions if anyone wants to send a message. I am going to Columbia.
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 00:32
** FIRST POST ** LOW CREDIBILITY WARNING**

Hi all,

I decided to share my 2 cents on this topic. Feel free to PM me to check credibility or get more details.

I applied only to my first choice – Columbia – and got admitted in 1st round. I worked with Aringo on my application and was very happy with my consultant. She had extensive background in application writing and had a lot of experience with candidate with a background similar to mine (that's actually how they chose the right consultant for me).

She was able to walk me through this long and complex process, and made it very structured and clear. She worked with other clients at the time but always made me feel like a VIP client, with amazing responsiveness. She helped me take my essays to the next level and made me work hard to bring the best out of me. When the interview invitations arrived, her help in preparation was also great.

The only down side was the price, and the fact I had to pay by the hour, since they didn't offer comprehensive school packages at the time. Nevertheless, I was happy with the final result and would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for admission consultants.

Last edited by theK on 08 Jun 2013, 10:59, edited 2 times in total.
Low credibility warning
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8174 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 12:18
Expert's post
mbafishing wrote:
It felt like the odds were against me for getting into business school, especially with an unconventional background, inconsistent career history, lower GMAT score, unemployment gap, questionable letters of recommendation, etc. Yet, Tyler @ Tyler Cormney Consulting was able to help me tell a cohesive story that really seemed to represent who I was and not some cookie-cutter applicant. This story not only gave me a clear direction for my essays but also thoroughly prepared me for my interviews and my resume. After meeting Tyler, my doubts of getting into b-school quickly faded.

Tyler's gift goes beyond story-telling. He’s an incredible coach.

If you can, please post your review here where it is much easier to locate it: http://gmatclub.com/reviews/

Thank you!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8174 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 17:52
Expert's post
Wow, another positive and solid review for Tyler. If you can, please also post it here: http://gmatclub.com/reviews/

Thank you!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 18:20
Has anyone used Bill Chionis from Stacy Blackman?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 06:14
Has anyone here worked with Alex Leventhal? Heard about him from an acquaintance. I would appreciate any reviews / opinions. Thanks!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 15:23
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Adam Markus? I know he has a well regarded Admissions blog, and he seems to be a solid guy.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 17

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 09:45
Has anyone tried Gurome?
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 10:04
bb wrote:
Wow, another positive and solid review for Tyler. If you can, please also post it here: http://gmatclub.com/reviews/

Thank you!

So many positive reviews for Tyler from 1st time posters. I hope the reviews are honest/real.
Expert Post
MBA Prep School CEO & Co-Founder
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2012, 10:22
Expert's post
gsmon wrote:
bb wrote:

Thank you!

So many positive reviews for Tyler from 1st time posters. I hope the reviews are honest/real.

Hi gsmon,

I am very grateful for the support of my clients. It's often the case that for me and other admissions consultants reviewed on this thread that former clients who are active members of GMAT Club prefer to post reviews under a new account to protect their anonymity. All of the reviews at http://gmatclub.com/reviews/ have been verified as authentic by GMAT Club's moderators. I hope that helps to put your mind at ease.

Regards,
Tyler

Tyler Cormney
MBA Prep School

MBA Prep School provides you with power tools for building a winning MBA application. Our on-demand admissions consulting videos and application prep tools will increase your chances of being accepted by your dream school.

Take the first step toward your dream school -- for Free!: http://mbaprepschool.com
Read our eBook: http://mbaprepschool.com/ebook
For GMAT Club Discounts: http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/mba-pr ... gmat-club/

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.77
WE: Asset Management (Other)

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2012, 12:15
Has anyone used Alejandro Maldonado from SBC?? I am trying to decide on which company to use for my consultant but having trouble deciding which one would be the best for me.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 06:16
Has anyone used Angela/Jessica/Rachel from MBAmission? Please PM me.

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 03:43
** FIRST POST ** LOW CREDIBILITY WARNING **

I worked with Aringo and got admitted to all the schools I applied to. This is my first post here, feel free to PM me to check or ask questions.
A while ago I started the process of preparing applications for universities, with the intention to apply to 5 top schools in Round 1. Thanks to Aringo’s great help, the quick responsiveness and the terrific professional skill, I formulated a strategy and built a “plan of action” within a short period of time. When the interview invitations arrived, Aringo’s help in preparation was also great.

In the end I was accepted to all the universities I wanted (Harvard, Wharton, MIT, Columbia, NYU) including scholarships at Columbia and NYU.
Aringo's help was simply amazing, and I know that without it I would not have gotten to where I did (the year before, when I used a different consulting company, I applied to a number of universities and was rejected from them all.)

Last edited by theK on 08 Jun 2013, 10:56, edited 2 times in total.
Low credibility warning
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 10:17
I have labelled several reviews with a "Low Credibility Warning" today since these were first posts by new users.

To the users that posted these reviews - Please PM me from your ORIGINAL Gmatclub id if you want the tag removed from your review. The tag WILL STAY on as long as I don't hear back.

BSchool Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 08:44
Very detailed & informative review Snipes. Excellent! Kudos to you!!

BSchool Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 08:47
The structure of the review is excellent. I think I saw the same template in a prior review.

To everyone else who is submitting reviews - May I please request you to follow a similar review template so that it becomes easy to follow? Readers can then get a gist of the review by just looking at the scores or go into each point in detail as & how they prefer..

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies?   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2012, 08:47