Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Best" admission consulting companies?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 05:48
I would recommend Alex Chu in a heartbeat. He's incredibly helpful. He doesn't write for you, but he helps you craft your own story in a way that really makes them pop. I look at my first draft essays and I'm amazed by the transformation.

People say that he's very direct. Well, why the heck would you not want someone who will give you straight advice? You're about to drop $200K on an education. You should want someone who will give you explicit and constructive advice. I just received my acceptance letter from Wharton. Very stoked and appreciate all of Alex's help.

I'm working on a few more applications now and look forward to working with Alex through these now. I'm happy to answer direct questions via PM.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 31

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 14:37
I didn't use a consultant at all during my apps, but am now looking for some advice/recs on hiring one for waitlist help. On some level, I want it just to have no regrets, but also thinking it might be good to have somebody look at what I submitted and formulate ideas as to why I wasn't admitted (considering I submitted the best thing I thought I could, I'm thinking it will be tough to be objective).

What are people's thoughts on using a consultant for this? And if you say 'yay', are there some that you think would be better for this type of service than others?

- I have had a free 30 minute session with Admissionado and Clear Admit, just wondering if people rec others.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 17:55
Round1ThisFall wrote:
Mr Sneaker - It sounds like Adam provided you with his professional opinion of what he thought would be a strong topic for your career goal essay. Its up to you to make the final decision as to which direction you want to take your essays. I actually had a similar experience where I listened to my consultant a little too much and didn't feel I performed as well as I could have in my interview if I just answered more openly and didn't have a set script already set in my mind. I used ClearAdmit and they were very good with editing my essays for grammar/structure and would keep pushing me to dig deeper into specific parts of my essays which was very helpful. I think the main take away from this is do not write about something just because you feel it will be a strong essay topic but its more important to be honest and open about your career goals. If your true passion is to start a skydiving company you probably should'nt be going to Columbia business school anyway ;-)

Let's face it...most of us are applying to business school because we think we deserve to make more money. We don't like reading and writing too much which is why we didn't go to a Top 10 law school and we're probably too lazy or dumb for medical school. Now I would expect someone who does this for a living to know the game well enough to be able to help me craft a career goal that wouldn't have the admissions committee questioning it. For $2900 and for someone with years of experience you would expect that person to know that!

Here is the biggest lesson I learned with applying to business school so far: If your career goal essay is too much of a career change from your current path (especially in today's economy) you might as well not even apply. It is SO much harder to get in when you're an engineer trying to transition to marketing. You better come up with some sob story about how you want to leverage your skills to benefit some third world country and save the natural rain forest.

I interviewed with Cornell using a similar career goal and even my interviewer said everything looked good except my career goal was such a drastic change from my current line of work that she questioned whether or not I could pull it off. I'm currently waitlisted.

Ask your consultant what he/she thinks your career goal should be based on your background during your free consultation. And don't fall for that "Oh you better sign up now cause I'm filling up soon" BS. That was the line that caught me.

Overall thumbs down to AmeriAsia.

PS. Round1ThisFall, you are right...the admissions committee agreed with you...they thought because my passion was what I stated in my essay that I don't belong at Columbia Business School.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 13:15
MNC86 wrote:

I had a completely different feeling of Amerasia and Paul Lanzillotti. I found him to be very realistic and very cognizant of what realistic career goals were for someone of my background. While a career switch is not uncommon, you need to remember that as the applicant, you are eventually the one who is interviewing and need to be able to speak convincingly in person about WHY this is your goal and HOW this is going to happen. The fact that you got an interview is testament to the fact that your essay conveyed this in a reasonable fashion.

I used Amerasia on a 2 school package this year and cannot recommend them enough. The initial call lasted almost two hours and made it very clear that 1) they know a LOT about business schools and how to position you best with each and 2) they really care and want to see their clients succeed. While other firms tried to lower my expectations because of my fewer years of work experience than most applicants, Amerasia raised my confidence and told me to consider some Top-7 schools on top of the Top-15/20 that I was considering.

The choice to use Amerasia was easy – but the editing process (thankfully) was not! Paul was never afraid to tell me if a draft was completely off point, yet was always able to provide thoughtful suggestions on how to recover. We started way early, spoke nearly every week and spent months editing and honing my essays.

The best thing about Amerasia was that from our first call, Paul already had a strategy on how I could connect the dots of my academic and career experience to tell a story of myself. He turned my unique background from what I perceived as a weakness into a major strength! Paul could also bring out insight from our talks that I was previously unable to bring out on my own. By the time my interviews came around, I knew my story and what I had to offer so well that the process went very smoothly. Amerasia’s months of guidance definitely were to thank!

Beyond this all, Paul was always an excellent sounding board and a calming influence during the stressful months before and after sending in my applications. Overall he is a cool guy as well and fun to work with, even through the monotony of editing essays.

Thanks to Amerasia’s help, I was accepted at Kellogg, a dream school of mine! I wholeheartedly recommend Amerasia to anyone looking for the more insightful consultants who are behind their clients 100%.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 23:09

!
Moderator's Warning: - User with low number of posts. High potential for a non-genuine review. If you're the poster, the warning can be removed if you can provide proof of service to the moderator.

I worked with Aringo a few years ago and wanted to share my wonderful experience and thank the great professionals I worked with:
Thank you Aringo staff! It is mainly thanks to you that I was accepted to a number of top 10 schools with significant scholarships, and most importantly to Wharton - my goal from the start. You helped me in an extraordinary way - starting from the strategy and ending with essay editing.
For me, one of the significant advantages was the very structured and professional framework that carried me through the stages of application preparation in an organized manner. And of course - the amazing responsiveness during the stressful days and nights right before the application submissions. We made it together!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 16:27

!
Moderator's Warning: - User with low number of posts. High potential for a non-genuine review. If you're the poster, the warning can be removed if you can provide proof of service to the moderator.

This is my first post here, and in all honesty I do not spend a lot of time on forums at all because they usually bring me more anxiety than calm! Having said that though, I would like to post for all of you my review of Amerasia and Paul Lanzillotti, and hope that it will help you as you decide whether or not to use a consultant and if so, whom to choose.

When I first decided 2012 would be the year I apply to B-school, I had barely heard of admissions consultants and was certainly not planning to hire one for myself. I have an impressive GMAT score, solid work experience, strong writing skills, and several MBA grads in my extended family to help me so I figured I was all set. When I got down to choosing my schools and looking at the essay prompts for each one, I idly browsed a few GMAT/MBA forums to see what others were doing. That’s when I got seriously intimidated. I realized I was up against a very varied pool of applicants from completely different backgrounds and professions and unlike applying to engineering grad school (which was much more straightforward), I had no idea what I should do to appear unique and compelling in my B-school application. I was encouraged by a couple of friends and by my husband to look into getting a consultant and after some initial sticker shock I decided it was worth the money. I interviewed 3-4 different companies (including Stacy Blackman) before I had my free initial call with Paul Lanzillotti (Amerasia). Within the first 15 minutes of that 90 minute call, my decision was made and I signed up for the 3 school package with Paul immediately! Paul had taken the time before our free consultation call to pore over my resume and profile, and he got straight to the point on the phone discussing what areas of my background I should emphasize versus play down. This was in sharp contrast to the other consultants I’d spoken to earlier, who were clearly learning about me for the first time on the call itself.

My first impression of Paul was excellent, and it never lessened through the many months we worked together on my applications. He came to every single call we had each week fully prepared and we always hit the ground running. I credit him especially for listening carefully when I discussed my experiences, identifying things unique about me and my background, and encouraging me to represent those in my application - which I wouldn’t have done otherwise because these are things I generally take for granted and wouldn’t necessarily think are my best strengths. He also really knows his stuff on what each school wants and how each one is different from the others, which is super useful when you’re applying to multiple top schools and want to tweak each application to be just perfect for the target school. Some schools care a great deal about which clubs you will join, while others just want to hear that you’re going to make a difference in a third world country. I certainly didn’t know who cares about what, so his experience and advice was invaluable. His turnaround time on essays was solid, and his comments were always very detailed and easy to take action on. He never tried to put words in my mouth or write my story in his way, but at the same time was very candid and honest when my stories or ideas just weren’t compelling enough for the essay prompts. He helped me prepare well for my interviews, and was always available to read or review something even at the last minute.

Overall, Paul is just a really nice and easygoing guy, he is very easy to work with and I felt like I was chatting with a friend during our weekly calls. Also, best cheerleader ever. He was genuinely disappointed with me when I didn’t get into Stanford, and incredibly happy with me when I did get into Kellogg. I highly, highly recommend him as an admissions consultant, and I wish him and all of you every success ahead.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 03:25

!
Moderator's Warning: User with low number of posts. High potential for a non-genuine review. [What does this mean?]

Hi All,

after the tough last year that i had, i got in to a top 25 school with a scholarship. I realized working with rahul from mbadream was very useful. My latest admit, from another top 30 school, i received yesterday that too has a scholarship. I suggest, mbaaspirants for next year should speak to mbadream.in. They are top class. .
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Reg: Help required to finalize Admission consultant [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 00:14
Hi Experts,

I have gone through all blogs/posts on GC for admission consultants.
Now i have narrow down my choices to Aringo, Mba Exchange, and Stacyblackman
But i have read negative reviews in one of random side about Stacy blackman, Athough my first discussion was not bad.
I have already first meet with all these consultants.
Now I need your help to give more insight as there is not much about Mba exchange.
Also i could not find any negative about Aringo even in admission411
Kindly provide your input

Thanks\
HS
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
GPA: 2.65
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 06:39
Did anyone ever use Square one prep? i have only seen one post about them thus far.
Intern
Intern
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 23:06
thanks for everyone! can someone share more about negative experiences?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Does anyone have any experience working wth Jennifer Wald ? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 10:23
Does anyone have any experience working wth Jennifer Wald ?
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 12:16
bpmbaquest wrote:
It took me 2 months of market research to finalize on a few Admission Consultants. I grilled almost all the big consultants . Some were too costly, others were simply not interested in what I wanted to say;
Then, I talked to Rahul from mbadream. He was very friendly and we got along well right from the first skype call. He has this amazing gift of understanding people. Right from Day 1, I told him that I want to get into ISB and all the way through, he remained adamant that I must apply to other schools as well (mostly US). Not because he wanted to sell his package or something but because he wanted the best school for me.
Let's be straight about what you would get when you join Rahul's bandwagon:-
1. On call support - in case you are having a writer's block.
2. Amazing editing.
3. Thorough understanding, via discussions, of your profile and suggestions of what to highlight and how to highlight about your profile.
4. Thorough guidance and up to date knowledge about different programs and what's good for your area of interest.
5. Superb network of folks who have already utilized their service.
6. Interview prep and moral support (most important factor for me).

MBADream has its emphasis set on your content, your language. They are very particular about helping you write your own content. This, I believe, is a very good thing!.They polish your story so nicely that even though the content remains same, the appeal of your content is heightened beyond belief.

Overall, I would give MBADream's service a 11 out of 10. They have exceeded my expectations in every possible way. It is because of their sincere efforts that I have my "Dream Admit" from ISB (I did not apply anywhere else, even though Rahul did coerce me to).

:roll: Not the first poster with zero credentials/previous posts to spam the board 'vouching' for this company. If anything it shows that this company should be avoided.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 04-30-2012

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 12:19
I also decided to use an admissions consultant. I spent over a month research different firms. Ultimately, I used Paul Lanzillotti at Amerasia. I did a couple of pre-emails and pre-calls, specifically with Dan Bauer at MBA Exchange and Aimee Pearlman at MBA Mission. My pre-call with Paul was great - I was looking for a more boutique experience where I felt that I would be more of a focus for the consultant that I might be a larger firm. In a lot of ways I felt that I was a borderline candidate that could really benefit from the help and direction of a boutique admissions consulting firm. My bought the four school program with Paul. My results:

Tuck: Admit
Columbia: Admit
Yale: Waitlist
MIT: Ding

You can't really argue with results. I went into the process with a dream school and that's the school I'm attending. Paul was very realistic with me during the process. Going in, he thought there were schools I should get into (I did) and a reach school that was my number one that he wasn't so sure about (and I got it). If anything, I would use this as a example of the fact that Paul won't blow smoke up your ass. When you're shopping around for a consultant and he tells you sure, with his help, you can get into HBS and Wharton, sounds good. Paul didn't. He took a realistic approach to my strengths and weakness and helped me frame a story that put me in the best light. Paul is excellent at figuring out what your best story is and how to tell it to admissions consultants.

On a side note, one of the most valuable parts of my package with Paul was the interview prep. I interviewed at three schools and with each his prep was instrumental. We did two - three mock interviews before each interview. I went into each interview with a great sense of the story I wanted to tell the schools. Not only that, but for each school he helped me tailor it to that individual school based on his knowledge of what that school looks for.
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 16:25
Has anyone worked with Kyn Chaturvedi from Admissianado ? please pm

Also, has anyone faced a situation where the consultant himself/herself wasn't willing to work with the candidate because he/she felt the candidate wasn't a strong applicant and was probably aiming too high.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 19:02
adCON wrote:

Also, has anyone faced a situation where the consultant himself/herself wasn't willing to work with the candidate because he/she felt the candidate wasn't a strong applicant and was probably aiming too high.

Yes, I have. While I wish I could say that I got admitted somewhere to prove him wrong, I'm unfortunately on waitlists. But I guess waitlists are a better result than what this particular admissions consultant predicted for me.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2270

Kudos [?]: 8761 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 19:10
Expert's post
Ward2012 wrote:
adCON wrote:

Yes, I have. While I wish I could say that I got admitted somewhere to prove him wrong, I'm unfortunately on waitlists. But I guess waitlists are a better result than what this particular admissions consultant predicted for me.

I somewhat feel that it was a hard and honest call to make for the consultant. One they are passing money and two pissing some one off. At the same time they felt they could not help.

I am sorry about this rejection. Must have felt terrible to have that stamped on even before applying. Though it sounds it only made it more invigorating for you. Fingers crossed - probe them wrong!

Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2270

Kudos [?]: 8761 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 19:17
Expert's post
Ward2012 wrote:

I agree with that and would accept that gladly from any consultant. I know not every consultant is a fit for every person. But it was his statement, which I left out in my last post, that offended me. He told me "I think you need career counseling, which I can't do."

Ugh. Sorry! That was an a-hole move. I take my post back.
And I think you already proved him wrong with 4 wait lists from the top 10/20 schools.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 19:56
Agree. I have used him before from Precision Essay. You didn't miss anything- if anything, you probably saved 1000s of dollars.IMO
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 21:08

!

I am above 30 years old, with a GMAT score below 690. I have more than 6 years of working experience and lived in Europe and Asia. I want to contribute back to this forum and share some words on Tyler Cormney. Btw I got into Stanford Sloan, Kellogg (with full scholarship), Insead and Wharton.

Tyler has been critical in my success. His methodology is nothing short of exceptional. He pushed me beyond my limits and helped me to craft applications that put me into the top business school. Tyler has a strong business background but also a Master’s in writing. I chose a boutique firm vs the big firms because I wanted to work with the founder, with a person who knows not only what the MBA schools want but also could make my story more attractive and sharp. If you go with the big firms you will end up working with one of the many MBA consultant who has MBA admissions experience but might not understand good writing.

I learnt how important it is to have someone who can respond your email in 24 hours and gives you relevant comments.

Tyler has also become a close friend who helped me to decide what school to go to and gave me well reasoned and honest feedback. Now I am super happy with my choice.

If I were in your shoes would I go for Tyler? GO with Tyler, only if you are ready to work hard on your application, and only if you aspire to the top business schools.

Three point to remember about Tyler:

1. Best in class methodology to craft a top notch application
2. Best in class in story telling
3. Great motivator
Intern
Intern

Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 00:47
Ward2012 wrote:

I agree with that and would accept that gladly from any consultant. I know not every consultant is a fit for every person. But it was his statement, which I left out in my last post, that offended me. He told me "I think you need career counseling, which I can't do."

If anyone wants to know who told me this, PM me. I don't want to bad mouth anyone in public

This sounds plain arrogance.

I had this free profile evaluation with a consultant (great reviews everywhere) and she told me that she hadn't handled candidates in XXX industry and in YYY role (something of that sorts) and I would be better of going to some other consultant. At the same time she kept suggesting to apply to schools outside top 16.

I could not help but think that my school selection was a major point because of which we could not partner.

As bb pointed out, I do feel this was incredibly honest of the consultant. Perhaps, a bit too honest for my liking. Either ways not a good fit.
Re: Re:   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2013, 00:47