Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Best" admission consulting companies?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 22:37
This post received
KUDOS
Admit Advantage

I would like to share my experiences of working with an admission consulting firm called Admit Advantage. I learned a few important lessons along the way that I hope you'd keep in mind before picking an admission consultant.

To be honest, I was a bit desperate to get into a decent B-school this year, and hence thought that spending additional US$3200 would be a worthwhile investment. While zeroing in on consultants, I was rather confused by the lack of credible reviews available. Hence, I thought that the prudent course of action would be to invest in a consultant who had excellent credentials (school he graduated from, his past experience etc), and also talk to him and see whether I'd like to work with him. Just a side note, in case you dismiss my review as rigged, do PM me and I can send you the official receipt that I got from Admit Advantage.

On my initial call with Kofi, their lead consultant, I was really sold on his credentials, and I decided to work with him. He told me that I would be handed to a some other "primary" consultant and he (Kofi) would act as my "secondary" consultant who would exchange "best practices" with my primary consultant. Since, he assured me that he would be completely involved in the process, I bought into his argument. (Yes, it was pretty stupid of me to buy his argument, but I though that since I would have two people with excellent credentials go through my essays, I decided to sign up with them)

Now, after I paid the fee, my "primary consultant" who again had excellent credentials started guiding me or rather misguiding me. I was ill advised to apply to a freggin 60th ranked school! (I told then that I wanted to be sure that I get into a B-school this year, but I never meant that I would apply to a school that was below what I deserved to go to; I was paying a huge sum of money for their strategic advice, even I knew that I could get in a freggin 60th ranked school!). This not only demotivated me, but it really made me doubt myself. What followed was even more surprising: the team at Admit Advantage asked me to fill out an achievement template and something called as PAT, which is just a fancy name given to the questionnaire that supposedly helps you "dig deeper" and find out those "hidden gems" that make you shine on your essays. I put in my best efforts to fill out these questionnaire and started crafting my essays. After, I sent my initial drafts, my primary consultant got back to me with changes which were directly copy pasted from my PAT- no new ideas at all! (I never expected them to write my essays, but I expected them to tell me what else could I have done better to bolster my essays, rather than just regurgitation the stuff I wrote on those PATs back to me). We exchanged a few drafts, but my consultants added absolutely no value.

Three months into the process, I was seriously fed up: my "primary consultant" was dumb as a doorknob! and my "secondary consultant" did not take any interest in my application. Midway, I decided to sign up with another consultant (Paul from Amerasia), as I really wanted to go to a school this year. This consultant, though quite busy, was much more helpful and helped me strengthen my profile.

At the end, I was happy that I got into three top 20 schools, one partial scholarship, and also at one lowish ranked school with full scholarship (when I was ill adviced to take my chances at a 60th ranked school!). The experience I had with Admit Advantage LLC was horrible- I was frustrated and demotivated during the course I worked with them.

Do PM me if you guys need more detail about my experience.

Regards,
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2013, 05:24
Edit: Moderator Note: Review has been verified.

I worked with Esther at Stacy Blackman Consulting, and I would make the investment again, hands down. Thanks to Esther's commitment, I've come a very long way since I first put pen to paper. She took the time to really understand what made me a unique candidate, and helped me shape my story in a way that was easy to understand and impactful. She's tactful and strong in her critiques, extremely committed and timely in her responses, and an avid supporter and coach throughout the process. I only had the pleasure of working with Esther for a handful of hours but she truly maximized every second. I recommend Esther to anyone looking to apply to a top MBA program.
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 02:27

!
Moderator's Warning: - User with low number of posts. High potential for a non-genuine review. If you're the poster, the warning can be removed if you can provide proof of service to the moderator.

My initial conversation with Tyler definitely drew me to MBA Prep School. Unlike other consultations I had, Tyler was honest, forthcoming, and offered a lot of insight all within the free "15 minute call," which extended well beyond 15 minutes. My consultant Daniel J's years of experience were definitely a plus and I trusted his opinions and suggestions - crucial in working with an MBA consultant. Daniel J was efficient and held nothing back - he was blunt which was exactly what I needed. He went well beyond just reviewing my drafts and instead coached me in starting to think strategically about my application as well as how to write creatively. I enjoyed working with Daniel J very much and will recommend his services to my friends.
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 11:42
Below is a review of Alex Leventhal at prepmba that I submitted to gmat club, but also thought this forum would be a good place to post. I highly recommend his services.

"I was initially referred to Alex Leventhal of prepmba by a college classmate. Even though she had been accepted at her top choice, HBS, I was skeptical of admissions consultants in general. After an introductory discussion with Alex and receiving the detailed biosheet that Alex uses as a foundation for getting to know clients, I quickly warmed to the idea of working with Alex on my applications. As time progressed it became more and more clear that this decision was the right one.

Working with Alex on everything from selecting references and writing essays to prepping for interviews really gave my application a cohesive feel. Crafting a unique story for yourself is definitely a key advantage in the admissions process and Alex really helps draw that out by getting to know you beyond just the bullet points on your resume. The admissions process for top MBA schools is so competitive that attention to small details in your application can ultimately be the deciding factor in landing at your top choice. Alex ensures that each final application product is perfectly polished to guarantee the maximum chance of success.

Even though prepmba is a one-man-shop, I always felt that Alex was easily accessible and was very thoughtful and helpful in answering my questions and providing feedback. Even when I thought essays were “good enough”, Alex pushed me that extra step to make sure that my essays were the best they possibly could be. There was never any limit on the amount of time that Alex would spend in helping me get to that next level.

Since working with Alex, I’ve recommended three friends to him and each of them got into their top choice schools (Stanford GSB, Stanford GSB, and Yale SOM) and had similar glowing things to say about his service. I’ve heard very few, if any, similarly positive experiences from friends who have worked with other admissions consultants. I’d suggest Alex to anyone who is truly serious about the MBA admissions process."

-Wharton 2014

Edit: *Review has been verified

Last edited by bb on 14 Jun 2013, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Verification
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 10:25
I'd like to share my experience with Alex Leventhal at Prep MBA. As a candidate with an extremely low undergrad GPA (below 2.3; yes, that’s not a typo) trying to get into a top 20 MBA program, I knew I had my work cut out for me and needed the appropriate guidance. I performed a search for an admissions consulting firm and went through almost 10 intro calls with different consultants. My intro call with Alex really stood out to me because I could instantly tell that he was not looking to make another quick sale of his services and was very honest and upfront with me about my chances at my target schools and what I would need to do to maximize those chances. He made no promises but vowed to help me give it my best shot. I also appreciated the fact that I was able to speak directly to the person that was going to help me through the process – someone with a Harvard MBA and over 9 years of experience in admissions consulting that was running his own successful admissions consulting firm.

My experience working with Alex was great. He was very flexible with his schedule and was willing and able to accommodate my timeline for submitting applications. He was very responsive and always provided a time frame for when I could expect to hear back from him regarding the many questions I had or essays I submitted to him for review. He was also able to provide amazing feedback to me regarding my “story” in my applications and how I could best position myself to business schools. Through his guidance, I was able to create a much more cohesive story that really fit my background and my passions.

I would highly recommend Alex to those thinking about and looking at admissions consulting services, and plan on doing so to my friends applying this next admissions cycle. His support and guidance through the admissions process was exactly what I was looking for. I did a two school package with Alex and am extremely happy to say that out of those two top 20 business schools that I applied to, I was accepted with merit scholarship to one and waitlisted to the other with the potential of getting accepted at a later date. I was successfully able to overcome an enormous weakness in my application and Alex was a key reason for that!

Last edited by umichfl on 13 Jun 2013, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 19:22

!
Moderator's Warning: - User with low number of posts. High potential for a non-genuine review. If you're the poster, the warning can be removed if you can provide proof of service to the moderator.

I've been following this topic pre & post my application process, and really hesistated whether or no I should post a review on my experience.
I created another username for this review, but if GMAT Club wants to verify my review I'd be happy to provide more details.

I've done some research on the consulting companies and spoke to 5-6 different companies. The companies that stood out from the initiate calls were Amerasia and Clear Admit. Based on the glowing reviews on GMAT Club, I decided to work with Adam at Amerasia.

There are several mishaps throughout the application process that I won't go into details here, but I'll put how I felt on the overall experience in bullet points below

My result? We worked on 5 schools, all ding without interview, and after my last essay edit back in January, I have not received any call/e-mail follow-up from Adam

Positive:
- Adam is an excellent writer, and he can really perfect your essays.

Negative:
- If you, like me, don't have 3.8 GPA or 760 GMAT or very strong work experience, think again about using a consultant for full package, I don't think the money is well spent on this experience and I could've just hire a very good writer to present my story

- Make sure you know exactly what is included in the consulting service you purchase. I know some consulting companies offer full service that includes helping you with each step of the application, even down to each blank of the application. Not the kind of service offered at Amerasia.

- If you have not done proper research on B-School application, lost and confused on the whole process, do not use Amerasia. They will only answer the questions you ask, nothing more, no other tips provided.

- They won't offer helpful tips and information on the schools you're applying unless you ask

- Adam missed a very important part of information on my resume, and simply told me that "oh I missed it, maybe the admission officers will miss this part too". No apologies.

Overall, it was a very disappointing experience. I know I'm at fault assuming that hiring a professional can save me time and energy on the application process. I guess the bottom line is, it is YOUR application, nobody will pay more attention on it than you do. If you need a consultant that stands as a friendly guidane, Amerasia is not for you. If you have a strong profile andd aiming for top 10 schools and just looking for professionals to perfect your essays, Amerasia might help.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 06:58
Edit: Verified; Legit member. Has lots of other valuable posts as well

Like the poster above, I've just created this account to write my review. Don't feel comfortable with my usual account because if has information that would allow me to be identified and I don't want to deal with any awkwardness. Happy to verify through GMATclub if needed though. I figured I'd eventually get around to writing my review, but felt compelled to write my review of Amerasia now since I think the one above is a little harsh. Here's my story:

I have a low GPA and a GMAT that is below the mean at the top schools I was applying to. I did a LOT of the free consultations. In the end I narrowed it down to Alex at MBA Apply and Amerasia. I liked Alex but feared that he just had too many clients. I had my Amerasia call with Drew. He gave me a full hour, not the typical 30 mins, and I never felt rushed. He'd clearly read through my profile and told me what he though a good plan of attack would be for each of the schools I was interested in. He also gave me honest opinions about my chances at the schools I was interested in (something that some of the other companies were hesitant to do). He seemed really knowledgeable about each of the schools and what they were looking for in a candidate.

I decided to sign him up for 2 schools even though I applied to others. I felt that after working with him on two schools I would be able to use what I learned from him and translate that to my other applications.

We started by figuring out what my story would be and how I would present myself in my applications. So that all focused around coming up with my goals. I think this is where I got the most out of the process and Drew was the most helpful. He really helped me develop a goal that worked with my background but was something that I could write and speak passionately about and would interest the schools. I feel like this part of the process really gave my applications a direction and a backbone, without this part I think my applications would have been a little scattered and not as strong. This was not an easy process though, we definitely had some back and forth and had to make some compromises as we didn't fully agree on which direction to take at first.

For the schools I was applying to he gave me a long memo that broke down each school's essays and how he suggested I answer each essay keeping the school's values in mind. I found this to be pretty helpful, so I'm not sure what the poster above means when he says he had to ask for information about the schools. I don't think there was necessarily anything in these memos that I couldn't have figured out through extensive research online, but it was helpful to have direction in answering the essays since you need to somehow fit your whole story across only a few essays with constrictive word limits.

Throughout the process I found Drew to be pretty responsive, he usually responded within 2-3 days, if something came up he'd be sure to let me know it would be longer. He heavily edited my essays. I think he definitely made them sound more polished. But one thing I came to sort of regret was automatically accepting most of his changes. I felt that I sort of lost my personal voice in the process. In general I think he definitely made my essays sound better, but it seemed to me like the essays for the schools I did with Drew didn't have as much personality as the essays for my other schools. I felt like my essays for my other schools were a lot more interesting to read and really showed my personality more.

Drew also took the time to do an extensive mock interview with me before my first interview. I found this to be really helpful because it helped me identify which stories I should go with for which types of questions. That way I was able to have specific stories waiting if the asked any of the usual questions.

Like the poster above, once I finished my last edit, I pretty much heard nothing from Drew again. It kind of irked me that we went through this whole process and he didn't even really seem to care if I got in. I would think that if he really cared he would want to know on decision day how it went. I realize I am one of many clients, but still, wouldn't you want to know?

I ended up getting waitlisted at the two schools I worked on with Drew and got accepted everywhere else I applied. To be fair, the schools where I was waitlisted were the two hardest schools I applied to. I definitely think the work I did with Drew translated to my applications for the schools I got into as well. I did tell Drew I was waitlisted and he was really helpful in crafting waitlist letters.

So in summary, I would say that for me, Amerasia was really good at helping me craft my goals story and definitely helped me organize my essays and figure out the best way to answer the essays in a way that would fit that particular school. I also found the interview prep to be helpful.

If you just want pure editing and are comfortable with your goals and the stories that you are telling, then I'm not sure a full school package is a good investment. But if you're like me and aren't totally sure how to present your story and want to make sure to put your best application forward then I think doing one or two schools can definitely help. It is ridiculously expensive though. I can't say that I wouldn't have gotten in if I didn't use Amerasia, but they made me feel a lot more comfortable about what I was submitting and I know for a fact that without working with them my applications would have been weaker.

Hope this is helpful those of you considering consultants! Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Last edited by theK on 08 Jun 2013, 10:24, edited 5 times in total.
Verification
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 10:38

!

I worked with Betsy Massar and here is a short note on my experience.

Last year, I was curious about the value add that admissions consultants could offer. On a tentative note, I held introductory calls with several consultants to evaluate their offerings. With no surprises, everyone was eager to take on the assignment, some cited my age (mid 30’s) and experience of working in a faltering firm as weaknesses. Just when I was about to write off the thought of hiring a consultant, I stumbled upon Betsy.

My introductory call with Betsy was different. She did not hold herself out as a ‘school specialist’ (which by the way, many consultants did). This is not to suggest that Betsy does not know the schools, she absolutely does. In fact, she introduced two schools which were a perfect fit and were not even on my radar to begin with. But she focused more (and rightly so) on what I had to offer and made very useful suggestions during the introductory call itself. There were no guarded caveats on possible weaknesses but at the same time, no tall claims either. Just a solid positive focus on how to get there . By the end of the call, I had signed up. Right off the bat, I got a sense that she had a more involved approach and certainly not the ‘cookie cutter one size fits feel’ that I got from many others. My experience with Betsy during the application process did not prove me wrong!

I worked with Betsy on four applications and I can safely say that each applications got her complete time and attention. The turnarounds were fast and her inputs were incisive. Most importantly, she ensured that the essays always remained my own. She probed and nudged till I was able to convey my story in my own words in a forceful and convincing manner. There were a couple of instances when Betsy’s doggedness had me do more than ten edits! A lesser being may have passed on the pain but am very thankful to Betsy for her persistence – the essays remained mine and revealed what I really wanted to say. There were moments of anxiety, of confusion - but Betsy was there to help cut out the noise and focus on the task. I can't thank her enough for those times when she was there to answer my calls at odd hours.

The end result showed. I got offers from my #1 & #2 choice schools (both M7 schools). I could not have picked a better guide, would strongly recommend her to anyone looking for an involved tailored approach and doggedness!

Please PM if you have any questions.
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 11:16

!

I worked with a consultant from Aringo and wanted to share my experience with the next generation.
Let’s start as expected, from the end - I was accepted to my first choice – Stanford, and second - Kellogg. All this I could not have done without the professional help and intensity of Aringo.
I began the process at a very late stage, and in reality I squeezed the GMAT, TOEFL, and all the applications into the four most intensive months (in parallel to a demanding job…). Right from the start I understood that without serious help I would not succeed in completing the task.
I understood that without help I had no chance to do all that wan necessary in time and I therefore turned to Aringo. Aringo’s method and the knowledge accumulated there helped me significantly in preparing the materials. Thanks to my consultant, I received daily professional and personal support, a ready ear and advice in every area connected to applying. She helped me not only in editing but also in thinking about the topics and aspects I would want to emphasize and reinforce as the most important. She was there for me always, at any hour, and invested a lot more than required from her role!
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 620 Q V0
GMAT 2: 640 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 12:09
My review is purely based on my interaction with Paul @ Amersia Consulting as part of the free profile evaluation call.
After having spoken with atleast 8-10 different admission consultants, I was nearing a point where I had almost decided to not appoint one. All, except one call, followed a similar pattern of me doing the talking for first 10-15 mins with intermittent (and very obvious) responses to my questions. The next 15 mins were then about the services, how are they are so unique compared to that other consulting company, etc etc. It was then that I read about Paul on this forum and requested for a call.
The first call, scheduled to be 60 mins, went on for 2 hrs 30/45 mins. There was no salesmanship at display, but I almost felt like I was talking to a good friend who was genuinely interested in my story and wanted to give me every piece of advice that could help me achieve my goals. It was perhaps the first call where I frantically took notes. Paul not only is a good listner, he truly assimilates what you say and offers very straightforward and genuine advice. His knowledge of schools also seems real from whatever little interaction I had and he was very prompt and detailed in responding to my follow-up questions.
While I didn't eventually go with him for a complete 1/2 school package owing to commercial contraints, but I plan to get his help to review my application at a later stage and would sincerely recommend him to anybody looking for genuine help.
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 16:00

!

Before applying for an MBA program in the Fall of 2012 I spent quiet a bit of time interviewing all the top MBA consultants. My background is non-traditional with a below average GMAT so I knew I had an uphill battle in front of me and needed the best advice I can get. After speaking to all the usual high priced firms with tons of consultants I figured I would be lost among their many dozens of other clients and knew I had to go for a small one man shop. I found Betsy on another forum and scheduled a call with her. She's a no-nonsense HBS grad with many years of Wall St and admissions consulting experience who spent quiet a bit of time with me giving me helpful tips on the initial call. The best part was that she was very reasonably priced and genuinely believed in my candidacy while the others were in car salesman mode and tried to make it sound like they can get me into any school I want.

Working with Betsy was a fun boot-camp experience. I'm a procrastinator by nature so she kicked my butt a few times when I was too lazy to work. She was very straight forward about my written essays, when something was junk she didn't let me hear the end of it! She really helped me figure out and put together my story when even I myself had no idea how impressive it really was. Some essays I had to revise 7 or 8 times before they were perfect. Her turnaround time was scary fast, sometimes I wondered if she ever left her computer. For my last school I only had a week to do the essays however Betsy was very accommodating and worked hard with me to get it perfected by the deadline. It must have been my best set of essays yet as I ended up receiving admission and a partial scholarship to a top 10 ranked MBA program. I also applied to 2 other top schools and was waitlisted at one, and dinged at another.

I highly recommend working with Betsy. If you are looking for someone who will write your essays for you, she is not it! You will work your butt off to achieve your true potential!

If you are serious about your candidacy I highly suggest investing a tiny percentage of your MBA tuition money on hiring the best consultant out there, she can make your investment pay back in dividends (aka your dream school and scholarship). After I finished working with her and before I heard back from any schools, I had already recommended her to another friend of mine. He got into 2 of his dream schools in the 2nd round!
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 26 May 2013, 05:23

!
Hi All,

On this forum I want to share my story - My sprint to a Top US bschool.

March 6th, I talked to Rahul for the first time. April 23rd I got an admit from a US top-30 B-school with 100% tuition scholarship.

I contacted Rahul (MBAdream.in) in March when the international deadlines for all US schools were over. The first thing he told me was “Don’t apply this year, you have a better chance next year”. But I convinced him that I want to give it a try this year only. He agreed and gave me a very good deal. He didn't make any big promises but just said that "We'll try our best and we'll both have to work for it".

My profile was very simpleton. What can an IT guy achieve in 3 years after all. But Rahul projected my strengths very well, wrote some really focused essays for me. He also helped me in preparing my Resume, and scholarship essays. He kept everything simple. Also he was very responsive over emails, Skype and phone which made me feel connected. He also shared an interview questionnaire and helped me with my (interview) weaknesses. All in all he gave me hope and gave me the confidence that I’m good.

Initially our plan was to apply to around 9 to 10 Bschools. He didn’t want me to spend much, so I applied only to the colleges which granted me application fee waivers. By the time I had applied to 7 colleges, I had 5 interview calls lined up (US and Germany). Even before I could complete all my interviews, I got an admit from a US top-30 Bschool with a scholarship of $95000 which amounts to full tuition fee waiver. And all this we did in less than a month.

Feel free to PM me about my application experience and I will be happy to share the tale of my journey.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 00:07

!

You should definitely try MBADream. I had used their services and they offer excellent consulting for a very reasonable price too. I understand the need to be economical and yet have a top notch consulting for your MBA admissions. I was in the same dilemma and a friend of mine introduced me to Rahul who runs MBA dream. After availing his service I have now got admitted into a top 30 college with 80% scholarship.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 08:02
After a disaster of applying b-schools myself in 2011, I decided to work with a consultant in 2012. Someone who had a very successful application season recommended Alex on the Chinese site forum.chasedream.com. So I contacted Alex Leventhal (from Prepmba.com) and he responded right away and scheduled a free 30-min consultation. His straightforwardness, genuineness and easy-to-approach manner made me choose him. During the initial consultation, Alex took the time to get to know me and made sure he had answered all my questions, and our conversation went beyond the scheduled 30-min length.

Working with Alex has been a great experience. He responded all my questions within hours, and the turn-around time for each essay was 24-48 hours. When he was super busy with other schools’ deadlines approaching, he will notify you that he would take a bit longer to get back to you, which is quite understandable. He will not forget you! Since I come from a scientific background and I had no idea how to explain my work, Alex supplied me essays from other scientists whom he had worked with. This was very helpful. When I still couldn’t write my story clearly, Alex would talk to me over the phone and walked through my thoughts and turned it into a plain language. He took great effort in understanding my story.

I strongly recommend using Alex, and use his multiple school-packages to get started, so you don’t need to worry about going over your budget. Alex will not satisfy with mediocre essays and he will make you change essays as many times as necessary. And during the whole process, there were ups and downs. But every time after I talked to Alex, I felt motivated and ready to work on my essays again.

Alex also helped me craft out a clear career path (short/long-term goals), which is very critical in the application, and made my stories readable . I got into Darden and with a scholarship that I have never imagined!

Darden '2015
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [1] , given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
Request everyone who is writing a review (or who has already written one) and has low number of posts, to contact me or any of the moderators if they wish to remove the 'non-genuine post' warning.

This is a great resource for future applicants and it will be great if we can keep this clean.

Thank you!
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 106

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 21:03
Expert's post
adi0529 wrote:
Edit: Moderator Note: User has been verified; membership over 6 months and over 50 posts.

I am thankful to folks at Indusminds (http://www.indusminds.com) for all that I have managed to achieve in the last year. After the disappointment of applying to business schools and getting no interview calls in the last 2 years, the time and effort of people at Indusminds helped me get an admit to a world class school and a waitlist(hopefually an admit soon) to an awesome school in the mid west!

I first came across Indusminds through the BW forums. Once i got around talking to one of the consultants, i came out quiet impressed by the plan offered by the company and decided to sign up for one application to start and ended up writing 3 of my applications with Indusminds.

I believe the unique offering is the 2 consultant approach where each one of them brought in their own thoughts and opinions. The plan was well laid out and not once did I not find them available to help me out. Another stand out feature was that they did not put a limit on the number of drafts required for an essay. I was told by my friends that other consultants had a pretty rigid process and hardly gave any leeway. A few essays were settled in 3 drafts and a few of them took a dozen phone calls and quiet a number of drafts to hammer them out.

Both the consultants I worked with, ie Nikhil and Biplav bought different perspectives to the essay questions and also the overall application approach. I believe this was the factor that worked out the best for me. The approach and the plan was individualized as per my needs and I found their contributions coming in, in terms of leading me on the right way, asking me the right questions helping me introspect. Furthermore they offered a whole different perspective to other schools that I engaged with Indusminds on.

They also proved to be a great help for the interview process, the mocks were scheduled as per my needs and I found the feedback really helpful to prepare me better for the real thing.

Overall, I would highly recommend Indusminds to anyone who feels that they deserve to be in the best schools in the world. Thanks to Nikhil and Biplav, that I am on my way to my dream school for which I had tried hard to get in over the past two years. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I will be happy to talk about my experience in detail.

Here is the link to their website http://www.indusminds.com/

Moderators-What's credibility of this kind of post..? The user himself edited the post as 'Moderator's note...' :) This person has joined on the same day it's posted and is saying that "membership over 6 months and over 50 posts...!"...That's funny!

bb-If you've time please see this and I think this should be marked as low credibility by GC like in other same kind of posts...

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Last edited by jumsumtak on 10 Jun 2013, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
added link to the reply
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 90

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2013, 21:43
Hi,

You state that, "Unlike other consultations I had, Tyler was honest..."

My question is, which consultants did you speak to that were not honest? Forgive me for sounding skeptical (I am), but some of these posts make me NOT want to use services because of how blatantly fake these reviews are.

success1341 wrote:

!

My initial conversation with Tyler definitely drew me to MBA Prep School. Unlike other consultations I had, Tyler was honest, forthcoming, and offered a lot of insight all within the free "15 minute call," which extended well beyond 15 minutes. My consultant Daniel J's years of experience were definitely a plus and I trusted his opinions and suggestions - crucial in working with an MBA consultant. Daniel J was efficient and held nothing back - he was blunt which was exactly what I needed. He went well beyond just reviewing my drafts and instead coached me in starting to think strategically about my application as well as how to write creatively. I enjoyed working with Daniel J very much and will recommend his services to my friends.
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2013, 17:24
Alex Leventhal from Prep MBA is exceptional and I am confident that there is no way I would have been accepted into the Ivy League program I was, if not for him (sorry for the vague reference to Ivy League but I'm going for a degree of anonymity).

I'm an international student (from Australia) and the conversion of our grades to a 4.0 system is seriously rubbish - whilst Adcoms know this, I still had something like a 2.0 undergrad GPA when converted. When I found this out I freaked. I had a GMAT of 690, which is also below the average for anywhere good.

I approached Alex (and a bunch of other consultants) to get a gauge of my chances at being accepted anywhere respectable. Alex was the only one that didn't bullshit me, which is the simple reason for going with him at the time (I wasn't referred to anyone).

The biggest thing that Alex did was help me craft a narrative of my life, from what I've done, to where I want to go. It sounds simple but I can't stress the importance of this enough. It's very hard to draw out the stories that make you special by yourself. I found that it's because you are living your life and the things that might be gold to admissions are everyday to you. Alex identified what stories I should be telling (that I hadn't even considered as important) and helped craft a whole narrative of my life through the essays and resume, so admissions got the best possible understanding of who I am and why they should accept me. It was astounding how poor my first attempt at the essays was compared to the end product.

After getting interviews at every place I applied (again only Ivy League schools), Alex helped me conveying the right stories from my life in an interview. Breaking down stories into key components that needed to be hit and practicing with me how to deliver them, and to which questions they should answer.

I would consider myself a 'high needs' client for him, and he gave me all the time I needed, without ever making me feel like I was taking up too much time, in order to produce a polished product to deliver admissions.

The experience is very personal and probing into your background and what you really want in the future. You really can't put forward a lie, or admissions will see through it. You work with him and him only, not getting palmed off to a junior consultant or anyone. You get to understand that he genuinely wants you to succeed, in what is the really onerous task of getting into a business school.

I honestly can't recommend Alex enough for anyone, whether you're worried about not getting in (like me) or just wanting to nail getting into the best school possible.

Last edited by kirstik on 14 Jun 2013, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Verification
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 17:25
Hi everyone,

I highly recommend my consultant Alex Leventhal from Prep MBA.

I initially contacted a number of admissions consulting firms, and immediately Alex’s service stood out in that he handled the intro call, and not a sales intermediary. He spent 45 minutes with me in the initial consultation even though he said that he would spend 20 minutes. He really took the time to know me. I could tell he was passionate about his service and helping me think through the critical issues. Many companies suggest you can get into the top schools without spending careful time-Alex was quite honest about my chances at a range of schools based on what he called “my MBA vitals”. His PrepMBA business is his, and he does not have a team of junior staffers. He is a Harvard MBA, very articulate and funny, and will not BS you.

Before I decided to work with him, he helped me to connect to a former client that he previously helped. We had a Skype conversation and talked about working with Alex. His honesty and his professionalism are the key decisive factors for me to work with him.

Working with Alex proved to be amazing. His service was very personal and he was almost always able to accommodate my schedule and last minute queries. I did a 2 school package and got into both schools including my first choice, Wharton. The time we spent thinking through my career plans, and how they connected the dots with my previous experiences was probably a huge reason why I got in. I was not really sure what I wanted to do and I was going to write about a career direction that was not really supported or well explained.

The two things about him that most stand out are his creativity and his sense of essay structure and logic. He was always able to come up with a different angle or way of looking at my experiences and I was always amazed that we got the essays down to the tight word limits.

Furthermore, Alex kindly accommodated his schedule to help me prep the interviews under tight schedule. His two interview prep sessions gave me the confidence and the skills to present myself truly and professionally.

Some of my friends used consultants and had fine things to say about them. But I feel strongly that Alex is uncommon. He is sincere, hard working, brilliant and often made me feel like I was his only client. Getting into B-school is more of an art than science. The science part you have already done with your GMAT prep. Having someone like Alex to guide you through the “art” side of the application has been a eye opening journey to know yourself better but also presenting the best of you to the business schools of your dreams.

Last edited by kirstik on 14 Jun 2013, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
Verification
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 448 [1] , given: 454

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 02:24
This post received
KUDOS
debayan222 wrote:
adi0529 wrote:
Edit: Moderator Note: User has been verified; membership over 6 months and over 50 posts.

I am thankful to folks at Indusminds (http://www.indusminds.com) for all that I have managed to achieve in the last year. After the disappointment of applying to business schools and getting no interview calls in the last 2 years, the time and effort of people at Indusminds helped me get an admit to a world class school and a waitlist(hopefually an admit soon) to an awesome school in the mid west!

I first came across Indusminds through the BW forums. Once i got around talking to one of the consultants, i came out quiet impressed by the plan offered by the company and decided to sign up for one application to start and ended up writing 3 of my applications with Indusminds.

I believe the unique offering is the 2 consultant approach where each one of them brought in their own thoughts and opinions. The plan was well laid out and not once did I not find them available to help me out. Another stand out feature was that they did not put a limit on the number of drafts required for an essay. I was told by my friends that other consultants had a pretty rigid process and hardly gave any leeway. A few essays were settled in 3 drafts and a few of them took a dozen phone calls and quiet a number of drafts to hammer them out.

Both the consultants I worked with, ie Nikhil and Biplav bought different perspectives to the essay questions and also the overall application approach. I believe this was the factor that worked out the best for me. The approach and the plan was individualized as per my needs and I found their contributions coming in, in terms of leading me on the right way, asking me the right questions helping me introspect. Furthermore they offered a whole different perspective to other schools that I engaged with Indusminds on.

They also proved to be a great help for the interview process, the mocks were scheduled as per my needs and I found the feedback really helpful to prepare me better for the real thing.

Overall, I would highly recommend Indusminds to anyone who feels that they deserve to be in the best schools in the world. Thanks to Nikhil and Biplav, that I am on my way to my dream school for which I had tried hard to get in over the past two years. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I will be happy to talk about my experience in detail.

Here is the link to their website http://www.indusminds.com/

Moderators-What's credibility of this kind of post..? The user himself edited the post as 'Moderator's note...' :) This person has joined on the same day it's posted and is saying that "membership over 6 months and over 50 posts...!"...That's funny!

bb-If you've time please see this and I think this should be marked as low credibility by GC like in other same kind of posts...

Re-verified the post. User has NOT edited the post himself and the moderator's verification was genuine.

Some users don't want to come out in public with their usernames on this thread and use a new id. "Membership over 6 months and over 50 posts...!" means that the original id of this user had these many posts.
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies?   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2013, 02:24