Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Best" admission consulting companies?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2013, 07:28
To those deliberating,
A year ago exactly I read these reviews and like you I considered if they were undercover advertisement letters, but after a year of work with Aringo, with better moments and worse, I promise you that Aringo can also help realize the dream for you. I personally was accepted to all the schools to which I applied and I attribute a great portion of this achievement to the support and help of the different Aringo staff.
A very intensive and not simple period awaits you, but with all my heart I can say that if you choose to work with Aringo you will extract your maximum potential - sometimes as much as you never dreamed you had.
Good luck to you all!
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Fuqua (A)
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 04:00
abc

Last edited by BloodyDaisy1986 on 21 Oct 2013, 04:50, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 04:28
Expert's post
BloodyDaisy1986 wrote:
I recently finished my Haas R1 app. Used ZosimEd. Can't recommend them enough. They basically found a Haas student in 24 hours for me, and I was just charged $30.

Totally using them for my coming R2 apps. I mean even if I take 2 reviewers for each of my 4 schools, I am still just charged $240. So worth it!

Can you please share your details whether you were active on the Club with some other username earlier ?

What is the authenticity of your claim? You've created this account today just to post this message I think!!

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 04:40
Expert's post
BloodyDaisy1986 wrote:
bagdbmba wrote:
BloodyDaisy1986 wrote:
I recently finished my Haas R1 app. Used ZosimEd. Can't recommend them enough. They basically found a Haas student in 24 hours for me, and I was just charged $30.

Totally using them for my coming R2 apps. I mean even if I take 2 reviewers for each of my 4 schools, I am still just charged $240. So worth it!

Can you please share your details whether you were active on the Club with some other username earlier ?

What is the authenticity of your claim? You've created this account today just to post this message I think!!

Yes, I joined this forum today. However, I have been using this forum for years now - Been thinking of applying since last 2 years. Finally applied to Duke in EA and Haas R1 this year, and applying to Tuck (R1), Wharton (R2), MIT (R2), and Kellogg (R2).

Anyhoo, I posted this comment because I have taken a lot from this forum, and finally had something worth giving back :-D

As far as the authenticity of my "claim" goes, I have nothing but my words. Happy to provide anyone who PMs me with more information.

I'm afraid it's NOT convincing

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 08:11
Edit: Moderator Note: User has been verified. SHARED Invoice

I availed the MAP service from MBACrystalBalldot com and I must say its totally worth it. Having worked with a leading admission consulting firm in US and paying them $2500 for two schools, the value I got from MAP service for about $400 is worth every penny and equally comparable in quality and commitment. If you are contemplating on whether to shell out huge sum for these services, I definitely recommend MCBfor a fraction of the cost.

Moreover the MAP service is something in my opinion you should do even before you start your MBA journey including preparation for GMAT, as the outcome of this service is going to reinforce your choice of MBA or it will de mystify the decision and save you a lot of time and stress. The service maps your profile to top schools and suggests how good are your chances of getting in to each of them. The service included two detailed phone consultations, evaluation of my profile and story pitch for the MBA adcom (goals, achievements and overall fit proposition etc) and concluded with a detailed personalized report that listed my chances of getting into top schools around the world and also feedback on the application strategy based on my inputs.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 09:03
Howcome there aren't many reviews for MBA Exchange here or anywhere else on the web? Anyone worked with them?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2013, 11:14
Hi guys,

I am a mba aspirant from India.I find all the top consultants from various parts of the world really expensive.Could someone tell me any affordable indian consultants who have experience in helping out aspirants for Ivy leagues?

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 15:38
Hi, Has anyone worked with Laura Freedman?

I found lots of reviews on beat the gmat but only 2 posts on gmatclub. I think beat the gmat is an easy forum to spam. The 2 posts in gmatclubs are also only from first timers whose only posts have been to review her.

Would like to hear from someone who has worked with her.
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: Harvard University
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 09:54
Expert's post
Would like to add my company, MBA Ivy League, to the mix. I'm a former Harvard Interviewer and Harvard grad. I specialize in the Ivy League and have a great success rate getting clients into the top programs in the country.

Also, unlike some of the other MBA companies mentioned here, which are very expensive, I charge a very reasonable flat rate -- $400 USDfor help with the first school's application, then $200 for each additional school. There is also never a charge beyond the school we are working on.

Still taking clients for second (and third) round...

Jillian, CEO/President
MBA Ivy League
(646) 276-7042
http://www.MBAIvyLeague.com

Last edited by MBAIvy on 17 Dec 2013, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 11:20
Edit: Moderator Note: Review has been verified for Stanford ONLY

Hi There,

I've just finished using Stacy Blackman and strongly recommend their program with full conviction. They helped me gain admission to Stanford and Yale with a 3.0 GPA and several other application deficiencies. These were my reach schools and I put my odds of admissions at slim to none prior to working with SBC. I worked with a consultant named Kevin, who I'd certainly recommend for applicants with less-than-perfect stats trying to get into great schools. He really helped me figure out how to position my story, write great essays and put my best foot forward.

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 08:06
Edit: Moderator Note: Review has been verified.

I used Stacy Blackman and was satisfied with the results. I had good stats and am an Ivy graduate, but my gmat/grades were at or below par for the schools I was targeting (HBS and Wharton). Additionally, I had a lot of quality international work experience, but I'm a white male in finance and most of the firms where I've spent time did not have "top" pedigree (i.e. I was never at Blackstone, KKR, etc.). SCB was able to help me brainstorm at the beginning of the process about what competitive advantages I had and where I needed to perhaps take a bit more risk in my application. The consultant I worked with was pretty laid back and I had to set my own objectives, but whenever I had a question he was quickly accessible for a phone call so we could discuss. In terms of going over essays/papers, my writing is already excellent so their main help was before the process began in terms of focusing the subject, but they did also help to catch a few typos etc. and gave things a good read.

Anyways - I got into every school I applied. I might have without the help of SCB, but they certainly didn't hurt!
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 39

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 08:58
Hi all -- I have been a member of gmatclub since 2011 and am happy to report that the MBA application process for me is finally over! I applied to HBS and GSB, was admitted to the latter (my first choice), and will join the class of 2016.

I used Sandy Kreisberg (the hbsguru / HBS guru / Cambridge Essay Service) and was extremely satisfied. I learned about his services after reading those Poets and Quants "My Chances" articles. Some people rip those as being sensationalist and views-grabbing, but looking back, there is actually a ton of insight there as long as you don't index too heavily on the percentages given (e.g., I think there was an early post that said McKinsey / Goldman Ivy-types with 3.8+ GPAs and 750+ GMATs got into HBS with 85+ certainty, which may have been true once, but is probably not anymore).

First, let me quickly advocate using consultants overall. You may believe that you have a solid grasp of your story and can write in a way that is clear, personal and convincing, but chances are, you're wrong. I worked in MBB for two years before applying and one drawback of the experience is it sapped all of my personal essay-writing ability. If you are in the same boat that I was in, showing essay drafts to your friends will not help as much as you think. They will ask you to clarify sections or fix grammar, but the problem is that they know you well and don't know the admissions process. You really need the exact opposite to cut through the BS and draw out your best stories.

Back to Sandy. I decided to work with Sandy for my Stanford app and used a one-time sanity check for my HBS app. The one consistent theme I read online about him is that he will kick your ass and does not sugarcoat his feedback. This is 100% true. My early drafts were bad and his comments were offensively direct. What I appreciated though, was that even when I sent in a bad draft, he was very specific about why certain paragraphs were ineffective. He never told me what to write, but after each draft I had a clearer picture of what my personal story was and what stories would best illustrate it. I went through eight drafts of the main "What matter most" essay before Sandy and I were both satisfied. I'm not sure that every consultant would have had the same patience and have maintained as high a standard (as opposed to saying after the third draft, "this is probably good enough, let's just edit it a bit and submit").

Let me also say that I thought that Sandy's style and level of service were ideal for me as an applicant. I had good stats (MBB / Ivy / 3.8 / 770), but because I knew so many classmates / colleagues that had gotten into HBS / GSB before, I was also at risk of thinking, "I can get in without great essays / recs / interview." In reality, every year there are many people with similar backgrounds that are rejected and it's getting more competitive every year. If you 1) have good stats, 2) are willing to put in the time to get into your dream school and 3) have the mental stamina to deal with round after round of harsh, critical feedback -- Sandy will maximize your chances of getting in. Don't underestimate the investment of time and emotional angst though. There were periods where I was really frustrated, not with him, but with the amount of effort I was putting in for what I saw as merely incremental improvements. In the end though, I learned a ton about myself and getting the call from Dean Bolton made it all worthwhile.

My GMAT Experience: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-debrief-770-q50-v47-115912.html

Intern
Intern

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 17:33
I would highly recommend Lisa Anderson at Stacy Blackman Consulting. She is a former dean of admissions at Rice business school, and so has real experience reviewing applications. I started the process with her in June with little idea about what I wanted from business school. Not only did she help me figure out what I wanted from business school, but helped me select business schools to apply to and then craft great applications. She also helped me manage my time and set internal deadlines for me to meet so I didn't procrastinate (which I often do). I would highly recommend her for anybody coming from nonprofit especially, as she was great in figuring out how to translate my experience into more business language. Stacy Blackman Consulting was also great, as they got me somebody from Fuqua Admissions to review my Fuqua Application. They are expensive, but consider the cost as part of the whole package of costs associated with business school.

Edit: Documents Shared and validated. Genuine Review. Hence, removing Moderator's Warning!
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 20:45
Expert's post
bagdbmba wrote:
irenner wrote:

I would highly recommend Lisa Anderson at Stacy Blackman Consulting. She is a former dean of admissions at Rice business school, and so has real experience reviewing applications. I started the process with her in June with little idea about what I wanted from business school. Not only did she help me figure out what I wanted from business school, but helped me select business schools to apply to and then craft great applications. She also helped me manage my time and set internal deadlines for me to meet so I didn't procrastinate (which I often do). I would highly recommend her for anybody coming from nonprofit especially, as she was great in figuring out how to translate my experience into more business language. Stacy Blackman Consulting was also great, as they got me somebody from Fuqua Admissions to review my Fuqua Application. They are expensive, but consider the cost as part of the whole package of costs associated with business school.

irenner - Please share proofs such as invoice and Admit mail,if any, with us in order to validate your claim. It's a part of our club's policy for the sake of the members and transparency.

You may PM me.

Thank you.

Thank you Ian for sharing the docs for validation. Your review now stands Genuine and Authentic.

BTW, a big congrats on Fuqua Admit :-)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 19:10

I highly recommend Esther Choy and Faisal Khan at MBAPrepSchool. I enlisted their help and got into Chicago Booth Class of 2016.

I am very hesitant to refer to Esther and Faisal as admission consultants. I see them more as mentors and partners that are indispensable in my quest to gain admission to top MBA programs.

Almost everyone who chooses to go through the grueling MBA admission process has the drive, discipline, and a successful track record. What differentiates one candidate from another is the way he/she conveys messages. Esther and Faisal helped me to build a compelling and genuine story throughout this process.

Esther started off the process by story mining, refining, and more refining. She constantly pushed me to look beyond the norms and examine myself more thoroughly. I ended up learning more about myself than I ever did. At the same time, she was very careful with not putting words in my mouth, so what I presented to the admission committee was truly my voice.

The next step was to put together an engaging story that resonates. This was where Esther’s gift in storytelling and Faisal’s incredible writing skills came in. Esther started with the basics such as the structure of stories and the art of what to leave out, which made an ordinary event sounded much more interesting and engaging.

While Esther taught me how to communicate effectively, Faisal focused on how to communicate more efficiently. I was amazed by Faisal’s ability to cut down a lengthy essay to something that was very concise without losing its character. The essays demonstrated truly who I am rather than a façade tailored to the MBA admission. Their guidance was instrumental in helping me to convey a powerful message to the admission committee and securing a position at one of the top MBA programs.

However, an acceptance letter from a top MBA program is hardly the most valuable thing that I’ve gained through working with Esther and Faisal. I’ve learned through this process how to communicate effectively and efficiently, and how to connect to my audiences through powerful storytelling. This is something that will benefit me for the rest of my career.

I would highly recommend Esther and Faisal to anyone who is seeking a transforming experience, and who is looking far and beyond the MBA admission process.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GMAT 2: Q V0
GRE 1: 327 Q161 V166
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 123 [2] , given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2014, 03:53
This post received
KUDOS
One-line Post deleted - unsubstantiated and vague attack on a consultant without background

Please consider giving 'kudos' if you like my post and want to thank :)

Read about my journey to 750 here - a-non-native-speakers-journey-to-99-le-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 13:09

!
Moderator's Warning: - User with low number of posts. High potential for a non-genuine review. If you're the poster, the warning can be removed if you can provide proof of service to the moderator.

I worked with Aringo and here is a short review:
As one who tried to get accepted in the past alone and failed regardless of excellent basic data, I saw with my own eyes how the application I built with my admission consultant's help is more focused and emphasized my strong points. My Aringo consultant also improved my interviewing ability in a wonderful way. And most importantly, all along the way she demonstrated support, encouragement, and faith.
The investment in Aringo paid off big - I was accepted to the only school to which I applied - INSEAD!
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 21:54
Expert's post
cowboy wrote:

!
Moderator's Warning: - User with low number of posts. High potential for a non-genuine review. If you're the poster, the warning can be removed if you can provide proof of service to the moderator.

I worked with Aringo and here is a short review:
As one who tried to get accepted in the past alone and failed regardless of excellent basic data, I saw with my own eyes how the application I built with my admission consultant's help is more focused and emphasized my strong points. My Aringo consultant also improved my interviewing ability in a wonderful way. And most importantly, all along the way she demonstrated support, encouragement, and faith.
The investment in Aringo paid off big - I was accepted to the only school to which I applied - INSEAD!

cowboy- Please share proofs such as invoice and Admit mail with us in order to validate your claim. It's a part of our club's policy for the sake of the members and transparency.

You may PM me.

Thank you.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.6

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 18:07

I used Carol Grayson at Stacy Blackman for admissions counseling this year and was extremely happy with the experience.

For background, I graduated from an Ivy League school magna cum laude, have worked in PE for four years, 750+ GMAT, and was accepted into both CBS and Wharton.

Carol fully understood my background and came into our first conversations wanting to get to know me before helping us come up with an admissions strategy together. She didn't take a cookie-cutter approach (which I did fear), and helped me get to know myself better, which really came through in my essays. She helped me to become my own best advocate, and without her advice there's no way I would have been as successful with this process. She also helped me work around some holes in my application that I feared would prevent me from being accepted at the top schools.

Carol also took the time to have several conversations with me (both in-person and over the phone) to prepare me for interviews at CBS and Wharton. She was extremely knowledgeable about what the schools would be looking for and I felt confident going in to both interviews because of her help.

I also got two great pieces of help from SBC (aside from Carol). I found that the Flight Test was a great way to hear someone else's perspective on my application package and gave me additional ideas on how to improve. Even more importantly, I had short notice on my Wharton group interview and SBC made sure to get me into a practice group interview with other candidates to prepare for Wharton's unique interview model. I found that to be EXTREMELY helpful, and the moderator gave me plenty of feedback after the mock interview, both written and over the phone. These were two major benefits of working with a larger firm that I wouldn't have gotten with a one-on-one consultant.

All in all, I'd highly recommend SBC to anyone.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9427 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 22:25
Expert's post
MensaNumber wrote:
I used MBA Exchange for 4 schools. They are the worst. I was not accepted at even a single school. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

Hi. I do not mean to question your review/claim - it takes some efforts/guts to post this. However, I saw that you were applying to a PhD program, not MBA. is this a review for PhD admissions? :? Can you elaborate a bit more?

profile-evaluation-phd-finance-165257.html#p1311423

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies?   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2014, 22:25