Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Best" admission consulting companies?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2159

Kudos [?]: 7595 [1] , given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 20:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Gm2014 wrote:
Wow What's going on here??
Bb, did you create this site as your personal playground and now do whatever you want, i.e. delete posts at your own discretion, decide who can talk and what can be said, etc? Does that make you feel important finally? Well...I guess, if nothing else does... Sad case.
Get a life, you do need one. And try to move to Iran, they still have a dictatorship there, you should fit in.
Go ahead, LITTLE boss, delete my post on your little wall, it is a useless place anyway, thanks to you. But at least you got paid by consultants, huh?

This is the same user who registered under the M7 username.
Gives you an idea about the individual. :roll:

P.S. I do sometimes want to respond to a post like this in the Ayn Rand style.... but then I stop.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2159

Kudos [?]: 7595 [1] , given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 20:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Gryphon wrote:
BB,

Would you be willing to disclose whether consultants have to pay a fee to pitch their services on your site?

GMATClub is one of the best resources out there for MBA aspirants and admissions consultants are becoming a more pervasive element of the MBA landscape. For those of us that aren't bankers/management consultants, the costs associated with these MBA consultants are not insignificant. It's somewhat disconcerting that merely because some of us can't afford to use a consultant we may not gain entry into a program while somebody of greater means, but not necessarily a better candidate will get that spot because they could afford a professional editor. I guess that's life though. It seems like everybody with an HBS MBA is in the admissions consulting business. In the end, MBA consulting is a rather inefficient, opaque market and I'd be interested in knowing whether the consulting companies that are prevalent on the site pay a fee to be here? If so, would that represent a potential conflict of interest? Some of us can only afford it for 1-2 schools and we want to make an informed decision to give ourselves the best shot.

As it relates to M7, I didn't memorize each of his posts, but I don't recall M7 ever asserting that he had previously used any of the consultants and had a poor experience. If memory serves me correct, M7 disclosed his experiences with different consultants based on the free diagnostic sessions that they offer. M7 was particularly pointed in his comments with respect to Stacy Blackman by telling her to address problems in her organization rather than make apologies. Ultimately, I don't think that M7 was ever disingenous or misrepresented himself as someone who had actually employed a consultant's services. That said, you've got the posts and I don't so I'm open to being told that I'm wrong and M7 misrepresented himself, but I don't think that he did.

Thanks.

Thank you for bringing this up. Allow me to happily clarify. I can assure you that not a single post has been removed or that anything has been changed to benefit anyone. I hope you realize that GMAT Club has been around for 8 years and it would be quite a waste of all that effort? I guess think of google who would start inflating the organic search results of paid search sponsors - they would ruin their reputation and nobody would use google anymore. I don't think Google would want to do it and neither would I - the benefit is simply too immediate and too small to warrant such shortsighted and greedy move.

Historically GMAT Club has had a very strict policy back in the day when any time a new consultant other than approved (Accepted, Veritas, and MBA Apply) would show up, they would be removed/banned/etc. I don't know why or how it evolved but that's what several of the moderators felt was right and I was happy to support this.

We have since opened up the Ask Admissions Consultant forums to ALL admissions consultants. We do not charge anyone to post/participate. That seemed to make the most sense and has benefited the community, though it has made the "Ask Admissions Consultants" forum a bit of a zoo.

We do have some real estate on the site to advertise and we offer that space to vendors including Google. It is not performance based, it is just placement and if a vendor wants to have exposure, they can get it. If 500 people sign up or 1, there is no differences. This allows us to fund projects and keep the development going and pays for several people's time including my own but if you take into consideration how much time I have spent/invested and keep investing and how much I got paid back, my hourly rate is extremely low, hence I have a real job.

As to the posts of M7, see it reproduced below. Here is specifically what was posted and I don't think that was posted in the spirit of GMAT Club or in the spirit of helpfulness. I frankly thought this person has had a very negative experience with her but in reality, he/she never have even used her services. I felt this was an unfair post and added no value compared to the hate it contained - do you disagree? I think one way do this post would be to quote/provide sources and perhaps links to reviews (maybe fix 4 spelling errors) - that would be a fantastic post. I contacted M7 and upon the exchange, removed that post. (I have contacted a number of other users who have posted/reviewed consultants with clarifying questions or asking to add more color to their experience. Sometimes to validate their extra positive review or sometimes to understand if a certain consultant had poor practices. This was the only time I ever removed anyone's post in this thread outside of spam, which by the way, we do not delete, just move to a hidden forum).

m7 wrote:
Stacy or Sandy? Neither, based on my encounters. Stay away from both.
P.S. Stacy, instead of replying to countless negative feedbacks on different sites with "wow, I am upset, why, I am good!", go and make serious changes in your firm, bad reputaiton follows your name everywhere. Then you can show that you really care as you claim and you would not have to write looong replies here trying to reconvince past (very unhappy) clients and convince potential ones.

Now, if you feel that I have inaccurately represented Stacy's services, do a search on GMAT Club, there are plenty of posts of various degrees (positive and negative). Here is one. I think that's a legit post and i have no plans to do anything with it. Just for the background, I have a very involved full time job (I don't live off GMAT Club) and a family which keep me very busy. I don't have time to mess around with a guy who has nothing else to do but complain and be ridiculous. However, I will spend time to keep GMAT Club free of trolls and elitists that I have seen on another forum in 2002 when I started the GMAT Club. PM me if you have any detailed questions - I am not a fan of mass-CC emails.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 20:58
This post received
KUDOS
I frankly think people should rate the consultants they use on a scale of 1 to 5 or 1 to 10 (like redjam). Take a look at any survey or employee evaluation or even some MBA recommendation forms - thats what they do. You give a clear idea of where the service quality experience was located for that person.

Constructive criticism and the need to not hurt the interests of admissions consultants is fine, but given what they charge I personally think they can face a public evaluation when there is so little out there to know what to expect. Know that consultants no matter how accomplished are not magicians who can turn a no-hoper into a sure thing. But they are supposed to increase your chances (else, why hire them?). There is always a risk of abuse of things in life. Yes there will be jerks who use consultants and then come back and rant. But there will also be people out there who run into jerk consultants who charge top $ and then don't deliver.

Anyway, thats what I feel and I will post my experience for what it turns out to be.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
[Please note that this is a throwaway account I crated for this post. For reasons of anonymity I don’t want to use my real user name. I am happy to verify all that follows with a moderator.]

Hi All,

I’ve seen this thread progress over the last several months and have found it very useful. Although I had initially intended to stay out of the conversation, I thought it might be helpful if I shared my experience working with Paul from Amerasia.

After taking a Manhattan GMAT course I had initially planned on signing up with MBAmission (given that they partner with MGMAT). However, after reading earlier posts on this thread I thought I might want to reach out to other consultants as well, one of which was Paul at Amerasia.

Of all my initial consultations I scheduled Paul’s last. As soon as we got on the phone Paul got down to business. What I really liked about Paul was that he dug deeper than the other consultants had. For example, my GMAT is over 750 and my GPA is in the mid 3 range with a double major at a top University. While other consultants thought this was a huge plus, I liked that Paul was honest and said that because one of my major GPA’s was a low 3 and the other was a high 3, it wasn’t going to hurt but it also wasn’t going to be a huge help. Additionally Paul and I went over my career goals “story.” He pointed out that if it was my dream to work in field X but I only had experience in filed Y it would make more sense for my story to be focused on field Y.

After signing up with Paul he set up a recurring 1 hour weekly meeting. Over the last several months Paul has helped me work through all of last year’s essay’s in preparation for this year’s applications. One thing that has really impressed me in working with Paul is his ability to pick which stories are most relevant at each school. To me, this has been extremely helpful.

Some additional thoughts on Amerasia:

1) Paul works hard – each week, in advance of our meeting, Paul will send over updated drafts of all my essays with thorough comments and ideas about restructuring. After each meeting Paul sends over the notes from our call as well as a few homework assignments.

2) Turnaround is quick – I have all of Paul’s contact information. On the one occasion I needed a 6 hour turn around I just sent him my document, texted him, and had it back three hours later.

3) Big picture – when Amerasia looks at my application they look at the entire package. All of my essays for any individual school are worked on in tandem. What I mean by that is that Paul and I have a clear picture of the story we are trying to get across in my application. We view the essays, the letters of rec, and the resume as individual pieces of a puzzle. Paul makes sure everything fits together and is consistent.

Lastly – to those of you working or considering working with a consultant: Even though I have full confidence in Paul and his services I still read articles and books on admittance strategies. It’s your application so take ownership of it. If you don’t hear back from your consultant, call them on their cell. If they don’t change their ways, fire them. It’s your future - don’t let someone else mess it up. A consultant can help improve your application but do your own homework.

I know gmatclub is now asking for a numerical score out of 5. Obviously I haven't completed my applications but have worked with Paul for about 2 months. I've emailed back and forth with him nearly daily and had phone calls at least once a week if not more often. Thus far I have nothing to complain about: 5/5.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 11:36
This post received
KUDOS
k0 wrote:
[Please note that this is a throwaway account I crated for this post. For reasons of anonymity I don’t want to use my real user name. I am happy to verify all that follows with a moderator.]

Hi All,

I’ve seen this thread progress over the last several months and have found it very useful. Although I had initially intended to stay out of the conversation, I thought it might be helpful if I shared my experience working with Paul from Amerasia.

After taking a Manhattan GMAT course I had initially planned on signing up with MBAmission (given that they partner with MGMAT). However, after reading earlier posts on this thread I thought I might want to reach out to other consultants as well, one of which was Paul at Amerasia.

Of all my initial consultations I scheduled Paul’s last. As soon as we got on the phone Paul got down to business. What I really liked about Paul was that he dug deeper than the other consultants had. For example, my GMAT is over 750 and my GPA is in the mid 3 range with a double major at a top University. While other consultants thought this was a huge plus, I liked that Paul was honest and said that because one of my major GPA’s was a low 3 and the other was a high 3, it wasn’t going to hurt but it also wasn’t going to be a huge help. Additionally Paul and I went over my career goals “story.” He pointed out that if it was my dream to work in field X but I only had experience in filed Y it would make more sense for my story to be focused on field Y.

After signing up with Paul he set up a recurring 1 hour weekly meeting. Over the last several months Paul has helped me work through all of last year’s essay’s in preparation for this year’s applications. One thing that has really impressed me in working with Paul is his ability to pick which stories are most relevant at each school. To me, this has been extremely helpful.

Some additional thoughts on Amerasia:

1) Paul works hard – each week, in advance of our meeting, Paul will send over updated drafts of all my essays with thorough comments and ideas about restructuring. After each meeting Paul sends over the notes from our call as well as a few homework assignments.

2) Turnaround is quick – I have all of Paul’s contact information. On the one occasion I needed a 6 hour turn around I just sent him my document, texted him, and had it back three hours later.

3) Big picture – when Amerasia looks at my application they look at the entire package. All of my essays for any individual school are worked on in tandem. What I mean by that is that Paul and I have a clear picture of the story we are trying to get across in my application. We view the essays, the letters of rec, and the resume as individual pieces of a puzzle. Paul makes sure everything fits together and is consistent.

Lastly – to those of you working or considering working with a consultant: Even though I have full confidence in Paul and his services I still read articles and books on admittance strategies. It’s your application so take ownership of it. If you don’t hear back from your consultant, call them on their cell. If they don’t change their ways, fire them. It’s your future - don’t let someone else mess it up. A consultant can help improve your application but do your own homework.

I know gmatclub is now asking for a numerical score out of 5. Obviously I haven't completed my applications but have worked with Paul for about 2 months. I've emailed back and forth with him nearly daily and had phone calls at least once a week if not more often. Thus far I have nothing to complain about: 5/5.

Hey, you say that you've been heavily involved with your apps for the past 2 months but haven't completed them yet?

Haven't the deadlines past for most schools? Or are you just prepping really really early for this years apps?

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
mattlopz wrote:
Has anybody worked with MBA Exchange? I don't see any comments about them on our forum. They seem to have a very very high success rate? Its hard to believe.

They seem to be in this business for 16-17 years...If anybody has any experience or feedback about them please post it here or pm me. I would appreciate all your help.

--
I did not work with them because my interest evaporated after a free evaluation. I wrote them a mail and received A VERY generic answer. Of course, free consultations are meant to be high-level. But in that case it was not a 30-50.000 feet level answer, but rather the answer from the orbit :)

Another issue - they quote a way tooooo much for a one-school package, even if you compare their price with that offered by one-man guru companies.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
Just wanted to provide my two cents in this forum thread as well. I had a great experience with Tyler Cormney, who heads MBA Prep School. Prior to starting my b-school apps, I knew I could benefit greatly from an admissions consultant and was especially interested in MBA Prep School. I had a few friends (current HBS students) who previously worked with Tyler and recommended him because of his ability to help clients deeply reflect on their abilities and accomplishments to synthesize a unique and strongly branded candidate profile. During my 30-minute info interview with Tyler, I was impressed with the highly structured process he created for clients to develop their best applications. He also had detailed knowledge of what each of my target schools looked for in candidates. I decided to go with MBA Prep School and was not disappointed.

Tyler’s strategy for clients is to use MBA Prep School’s online lessons to initiate a self-reflection and organization process prior to tackling the actual essays. When you get to your essays, you’ll be prepped with the stories and themes that will make you unique and memorable. Tyler provided very candid feedback on which of my stories/strengths best fit each essay, including recommending me to scrap a number of first drafts and starting over with stronger ideas. Once I picked the right topics to write about, he helped me tighten my writing by refining sentence structure and grammar. Finally, after receiving interview invitations, we conducted mock interviews to prep for the real deal.

The b-school application process was probably the most challenging experience I’ve had since college. I had a relatively generic candidate profile (3.5 GPA from a top undergrad school, five years management experience for a telecom company, little quant background), but was able to leverage my strengths into successful applications for two of my top b-school choices. Because of MBA Prep School and Tyler’s help, I got into Haas and Ross. I’ll be attending Ross this fall and have my admissions consultant to thank. I definitely recommend Tyler and MBA Prep School to anyone going applying to b-school!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 97 [1] , given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2011, 16:09
This post received
KUDOS
[quote="reach2bhush"]

I am told by Veritas Prep that most b-schools look for Quant score only, My Q is 50 and V 34 (Total 690) and I'm not sure whether i should re-take the GMAt.
quote]

That's bs...I had a 41 Q, 690 total, B avg in undergrad math, and no quantitative work experience. It obviously won't hurt you to get a higher score, but i think people place way too much emphasis on it. Everyone's app is different but looking back I wouldv'e much rather spent that extra 4 months working on essays than studying for a re-take for which I ended up getting 10 points less anyways :roll:

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [1] , given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2011, 08:28
This post received
KUDOS
If I had to generalize, I believe that schools look at your overall GMAT score, with heightened interest in your quant score. A 690 with a Q50 is a great score, but it's only one component of your application. If you can present a strong and unique personal brand in your application essays to complement your 690, you should have no problem being admitted (even with a scholarship).

Achieving the highest GMAT score you can and delivering powerful essays can be a difficult balance. For me, I had plenty of time and felt that a re-take was a worthwhile investment (I still believe it was). Your score is definitely adequate, so only re-take if you believe it will help you balance your application (or if it's intrinsically important to you).

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 00:20
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,

I would like to share with you my personal experience with Ivy MBA consulting http://ivymbaconsulting.com/
Let's start from the results: accepted at both school I applied to, with this background: male, 33 y.o., 8 years experience in IT, GMAT 700.

Clearly I recognized the challenge of being one of the many techy guys that looked at the MBA to increase the opportunities for a career and industry switch.
But being one of the many, doesn't make you unique enough to get into the top MBA programs I was targeting.

I was very close to the application deadline and an MBA Alumnus who reviewed my essays recommended me to get some help to strengthen them and recommended me the Ivy team.
It is well known that MBA admission councils want to read real stories, and are very good at recognizing fakes, so the trick is not to invent but to find the unique points of your background. Sometimes though, they are quite well hidden in your memory, or not recognized as key points to mention.

Time was not playing in our favor, with less than 4 weeks to review the entire application. The Ivy group put together a very dedicated team, that worked day and night (literally) with me and helped me to discover those points that made my application successful.

Some tips for applicants:
- Don't make my mistake to contact the MBA consultants when it's late: although it is never too late to do it, but if you give them more time you will be able to sleep more at night ;). Moreover the strategy starts at the very beginning of your application process, I got tangled in my GMAT for months, and I'm sure they would have recommended better way to overcome this hurdle.
- Don't get scared if they are not located in your own country: I worked with this guy remotely for weeks and only met one of their consultant for the interview preparation process. Needless to say, I never felt left alone, and we were able to build up a very efficient way of working remotely.
- Good luck to all of you!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.76

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 06:24
This post received
KUDOS
@ tgrlil: PM sent!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 0

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 06:42
This post received
KUDOS
pkatmi wrote:
pkatmi wrote:
Has anyone worked with Yaron from Precision Essay? Would be really helpful if you could share your experience. If u'r hesitant sharing it openly, feel free to PM me. TIA

Actually one more thing - any views on whether it is ok to ask for references for specific consultants I'm considering? I know some companies have testimonials up on their website, but it's hard to tell which specific consultant the testimonial is written for.
Thanks.

Hey
Somehow missed this post earlier. Not sure if you are still deciding but here are my 2 cents.
I have worked on one school with Yahon and am cureently working on the second one. Although, I did not get positive results from the first school but I knew going in that my chances here were not that great. He is really great and easy to work with, knows the school and it shows that he has been doing this for a while.
We started working on the app with just 3 weeks to go (and boy it was one the longest app) and still managed to apply on time. Thoughout I never felt as if we compromised on quality. Even one day before my app submission, he did not give up and was still pushing me to include more details. His response time was amazing, mostly within a day and towards the end even within a few hours.

As I said, although I dont have the results to back my review but I would definitely recommend him to anyone.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.....
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 13:06
This post received
KUDOS
Here goes my 0.0002 cents...

I worked with MBACrystalball.com for its mock application service - what it calls the MBA MAPs. It kicked off with a questionnaire (basically a short essay, a mock interview, general profile information and the resume), followed by an interview with Sameer. What transpired was a customized PDF, showing my chances, rated as Ambitious/Stretch/Practical and Safe, in about 100 odd top schools across the globe. It also had a brief SWOT analysis my profile.

This was then followed by a detailed interview in which I was briefed about the application process, strategies and an overall review of my profile.

The entire exercise was really helpful. I was lost in the big bad world of MBA and jargons otherwise... I'd been following Sameer's posts in GMATClub and other such forums too...and was drawn to the website due to the earnest manner in which he was helping people...

I'd mailed a few other reputed consultants for a quick review of my profile but their curt replies showed they were getting paid for each word uttered! I definitely didn't want to hurt my confidence by tagging along with such folks... Besides, the MAP service was pretty affordable so I thought its worth taking my chances... and in the end, it turned out to be a good decision...

I look forward to the app 2012 season with a lot more clarity and confidence. Good luck, MCB...and good luck, me too! :P

The night is at its darkest just before the dawn... never, ever give up!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 02:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
i'm working with Adam from Amerasia and while i'm only half way through the process, i find myself saying this to my friends all the time, "i don't know how people do it without a consultant!!!"

by that, i don't mean people can't write decent essays and put together decent resumes and get into decent schools without the help of a consultant, but having a consultant to me is like having a coach to motivate you and cheer you along - Adam is energetic and approachable, and he has a great sense of humor which has proven to be so very important in keeping my spirit up! I feel comfortable asking every single stupid question that pops into my head, even for questions he could have just answered with a simple "yes" or "no" or "don't worry about it", he would still go to great lengths to explain his comments and rationale. His comments are straightforward and candid, so while he is often very humorous about it, he would tell me directly if an idea or essay just doesn’t make sense to him – so no unhealthy coddling there at all.

just fyi, i actually set up calls with 5-6 consultants and adam was the only one who really stood out. one of the worst calls was the one i had with jon @ precision essay - i work for one of the biggest consulting companies in the US and he spent 10 mins telling me how i should explain what my company does in my essays to make sure the adcom people know what consulting is like (?!). while i'm sure he's probably a very intelligent guy, the call didn’t convince me that he was a good fit for me.

Feel free to PM me if you have qns 8-)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 06:35
This post received
KUDOS
*****Sorry for the late UPDATE, I still feel this will be useful********[color=#0000FF]
-------------------------------
I had really bad experience with Veritas after 2 interactions with my consultant. I wanted my money back - and after SEVERAL calls they agreed but still didn't refund $300.00
Now I am working on my own. This tells me that - whatever research we do - at the end its your luck if you get a good consultant or not.

Also one of their consultants - wanted me to work with him/her seperately without going thru Veritas !! Can u believe that!!
---------------------------------[/color]
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 22

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 05:25
This post received
KUDOS

Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
GMAT 2: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 01:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

I am applying in R2 and recently decided to work with a consultant. I must say the decision which one to choose was more difficult than I had thought. I strongly suggest thinking about this early, as it is not exactly very smart to add unnecessary stress into the already demanding application process. Also, think about what you really want from the consultant, such as: "do I want him to help me discover myself and then just edit the essays a little or do I prefer a more directive approach, in which the consultant has a strong influence on the apps" etc. That said, I'd like to comment on the initial impression that Paul Lanzilotti of Amerasia Consulting made (as I have ultimately decided to go with someone else, I will comment on the other guy at some other time, perhaps after the whole application process).

In my case, when I first contacted Amerasia, I spoke to Adam, who later decided I should speak directly to Paul. We had to postpone the first introductory call on a kind of short notice, but other than that, I felt that Paul was pretty fast with replies to my emails and was also willing to do the call on weekend. In the intro call Paul spoke mostly about my profile (I sent him my prior to the call) and the way I should position myself and which schools to target. We also discussed the way the cooperation would work with him and I think if you are prone to procrastionation, he would definitely help you overcome that and get to work early. I tried to find out how many clients Paul works with in each round but that one question wasn't answered (I know it is kind of personal, but it gave me a slight feeling that there might be a little too many clients; on the other hand, the question might have just been missed among others I had).

Paul also helped me (as an international applicant) to select some schools I have previously not considered. Overall, after the one our intro call, I was confident that I'd be in good hands. He probably edits the essays quite a bit, which might work for some and not for others. Make sure you discuss these things. Paul also claimed he goes over the whole application thoroughly before submitting, which might not be the case everywhere. That said, Amerasia is not the cheapest company out there (although they do offer a 10% discount for gmatclub members) and I ultimately decided to turn his offer down mostly because of the price tag.

I will comment on my consultant's work in January when I have submitted the last of my apps. Good luck everyone!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 14:03
This post received
KUDOS
I echo the sentiments already stated about Essay Snark. I started reading his blahg and got hooked. I have to say that he did wonders for my career goals essay (no he doesn't do any writing for you). I thought that my career goals were laid out perfectly (and even had proofreaders agree with me), but when ES read the essay he tore the thing apart. Two days before the application deadline I scrapped the entire essay and rewrote it from scratch. What I came up with the second time was 1000 times better.

ES gave me a whole lot of free advice and the essay critique service that I did purchase was extremely cheap and EXTREMELY helpful. I think the best thing about ES beyond his critiques is his ability to just "listen" (it's email so obviously not literally). I said everything that I wanted to say in my essays (or thought I was saying) in my dialogues with ES about the essay. I wound up using those emails as the base from which I wrote. ES goes above and beyond what he's paid to do and I can't speak highly enough about him.
I don't have any admits in hand yet but I'm so much more confident in the app I submitted because of ES's help. PM me if you want more details.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 05:48
This post received
KUDOS
mundasingh123 wrote:
Any reviews for Vocaz ... for engineers ?

mundasingh123,
I worked with Vocaz on my MBA application (got into Sloan). I found them to be very responsive and professional which is very important for an admission consultant. They have a very structured process that incorporates feedback from recent alumni of the top schools. I decided to work them since they have expertise with engineering-background candidates, and they really did a great job helping me show that my background is relevant for business and to differentiate myself from other engineers.

The only issue with consulting companies is the high cost but it can usually be addressed by special programs/packages that they offer.

Overall I would highly recommend working with Vocaz.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: "Best" admission consulting companies? [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 23:06
This post received
KUDOS
Moderator: WARNING! First post. Low credibility.

Hi all,

I recently wrapped up R1 after working with Adam at Amerasia and also did initial consultations with 7 or 8 other consultants. Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Thanks
Re: "Best" admission consulting companies?   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2011, 23:06