Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 04:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Admissions Consultant for Non-Traditional?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Best Admissions Consultant for Non-Traditional? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 05:35
I am a non-traditional candidate - 31 years old, non-profit and faith-based background, 680 GMAT, 3.2 GPA (Business Admin major, philosophy minor), extensive extracurriculars.

I am pursuing a full-time MBA in order to move into a Brand Management role & would like to get in to a Top 20 school.

That said, I'm on a limited budget during this application process. I would love to hear recommendations for consultants who are particularly good with non-traditionals and who may be cost-effective when compared to some of the more expensive shops. Given my background, I don't think HBS is a realistic possibility but would love to try for Fuqua, McCombs, etc.

Thank you for the recommendations!

Last edited by Woodencrawdad on 06 Jul 2013, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 1

Re: Best Admissions Consultant for Non-Traditional? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 05:51
We would be more than happy to provide you with a free candidacy assessment and discuss our success with non-traditional candidates. Please contact us so that we can arrange a convenient time to speak.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Admissions Consultant for Non-Traditional? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 08:47
Woodencrawdad wrote:
I am a non-traditional candidate - 31 years old, non-profit and faith-based background, 710 GMAT, 3.2 GPA (Business Admin major, philosophy minor), extensive extracurriculars.

I am pursuing a full-time MBA in order to move into a Brand Management role & would like to get in to a Top 20 school.

That said, I'm on a limited budget during this application process. I would love to hear recommendations for consultants who are particularly good with non-traditionals and who may be cost-effective when compared to some of the more expensive shops. Given my background, I don't think HBS is a realistic possibility but would love to try for Fuqua, McCombs, etc.

I'm not sure why you think you're not competitive for HBS. Given your profile, you may actually be more competitive than you think. There are a ton of cookie cutter bankers, consultants, engineers, etc. that are applying to all the top schools, and what you have to your advantage is being a non-traditional with a decent GMAT and strong leadership experience (if "extensive extracurriculars" and "faith-based background" means anything: my guess is you're LDS and did your mission abroad?).

Anyhow, I think you should consider shooting a bit higher (regardless of whether you use a consultant or not). Here's what I suggest:

Stretch (choose 3): HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, Booth, Columbia, Tuck, Haas
Sweet spot (choose 3): Ross, Darden, Duke, UCLA, Stern, Yale, Cornell
Safety (choose 0-1): anything outside the top 16.

Given that you want to work in brand management, I'd look at HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Ross, Duke and Darden. And maybe add in McCombs as a safety.

Good luck

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 1

Re: Best Admissions Consultant for Non-Traditional? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 16:53
Expert's post
With non-traditional background and extensive extra curricular , you may not want to to rule out HBS as 'unrealistic possibility'.

You may email me your resume to discuss your profile in greater detail.

Later. you may click at the following link to see if the pricing suits your budget or not :

http://myessayreview.com/pricing_gc.php

Good luck with your application,

Poonam

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 600 [0], given: 30

Re: Best Admissions Consultant for Non-Traditional? [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 00:04
Expert's post
Woodencrawdad wrote:
I am a non-traditional candidate - 31 years old, non-profit and faith-based background, 710 GMAT, 3.2 GPA (Business Admin major, philosophy minor), extensive extracurriculars.

Well your GMAT certainly is excellent, so that's a good start. But if you want a real evaluation, I'm gonna need more info from you. What did you do at your job (both in terms of business useful stuff, and the BIG story of your faith based stuff? did you lead people? what were your responsibilities? what were your achievements? what have you got for volunteer work? (I assume your faith based work has a communal component to it) who was your employer? What about extra currics at college? And finally: what are your goals? why are you applying to an MBA?

All this stuff counts, so feel free to elaborate here, and I'll happily get back to you with my eval.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 6

Re: Best Admissions Consultant for Non-Traditional? [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2013, 07:10
Hi,

I represent General Education. We are India’s leading application assistance consultancy founded in the year 2007. We do application assistance for top global B-schools, we have a team of consultants graduated from top B Schools like Harvard, Duke, Cornell, ISB, LBS, INSEAD among a few. we are based in Bangalore and our consultants are spread across major cities in India, US, UK and Europe.

Over the past five years our consultants have made it possible for numerous MBA aspirants who took General Education services, ranging from online GMAT preparation, essay evaluations, general counseling, interview preparation to brainstorming sessions, and made it to b-schools like – Harvard Business School, Wharton Business School, Kellogg Business School ,ISB, Stanford GSB, Chicago Booth, INSEAD France, Cornell to name a few. Please visit http://tinyurl.com/pdgswsz to know more about our services.

You have an average GMAT Score but you can make your profile strong by working hard on your essays. For free profile evaluation with top b-school graduate, kindly share your contact details or drop us an e-mail with your profile at enquiry@general-ed.com.

Feel free to write if you have further queries.

Cheers!
Neha Singh

Best Wishes
Neha Singh
Get personalized MBA Application Consulting
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Click here to look at some of the Testimonials for our awesome work

Try our GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Best Admissions Consultant for Non-Traditional?   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2013, 07:10