Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2280

Kudos [?]: 8825 [3] , given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
"Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 16:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Best Admissions Consulting Companies
Real reviews and opinions by REAL GMAT Club Members.

This thread is a 2014 continuation of the "Best" Admissions Consulting Companies discussion that had over 500 posts spanning across 4 years.It is time to retire it! We are introducing improvements starting now - we will maintain one thread per year to make it easier find feedback and relevant information. Also, IMPORTANT: we will only post here reviews from members who have at least 30 posts. If your profile is new - you are welcome to post questions or engage in a discussion but please do not post reviews as they will be deleted or hidden. If you are a lurker and had a great experience with your admissions consultants, post it in the Reviews Area instead.

We welcome any feedback from the members including constructive criticism/suggestions for improvement as well as positive comments. Take both positive and negative comments with a grain of salt. Please also read:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
WE: Other (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

"Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 10:54

!
Moderator's Warning: - User with low number of posts. High potential for a non-genuine review. If you're the poster, the warning can be removed if you can provide proof of service to the moderator.

I am a Merchant Navy officer and had enrolled with GyanOne for applying to INSEAD. I saw that they had deep expertise, were always willing to help in whatever way possible, and helped me create an excellent final product that resonated well with INSEAD. After receiving the interview call from INSEAD, I also took GyanOne’s help in preparing for the interview. Again, their excellent advice and great feedback helped me to prepare well for the final interview, which I was very comfortable with after three mock interviews with GyanOne that closely simulated the real interview. I received the INSEAD admit earlier this week. Kudos GyanOne!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

"Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 07:33

!
Moderator's Warning: - User with low number of posts. High potential for a non-genuine review. If you're the poster, the warning can be removed if you can provide proof of service to the moderator.

I took GyanOne’s help for my ISB application and found their service to be really good. I contacted them just about 10 days before the submission deadline, and I felt that their inputs and help in structuring my stories and my essays was really excellent. They helped me to showcase my strengths well, clearly demonstrate my potential, and improve my overall application significantly. I am impressed with the knowledge base, experience and the expertise that they hold into the ISB admission process. I was able to submit comfortably in time, received an interview call from ISB, and received the final offer. A thumbs up to GyanOne and their ISB application service!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 16

Re: Gyanone admission consultants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 08:22
I have taken GyanOne’s help for my applications and interview preparation for UNC Kenan Flagler and I am glad to recommend them for their brilliant services. I have an admit for the fall 2014 intake, and want to thank the GyanOne team for their expertise and support throughout the admissions process. Their experienced consultants, from top b-schools, understand the admission process well and provide their clients personalized help into all aspects of the application and interview process. Their comprehensive help with essays, supporting documentation and mock interviews made me comfortable and confident about submitting a strong application. I truly appreciate their experience and expertise and would be glad to answer anyone’s queries on their services.
Intern
Intern

"Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 02:39

!

Hi guys,
I availed the consultation services from Gyanone and I am highly impressed by them. They helped to completely revamp my application in just 5 days before the ISB R1 deadline. Glad I made the right decision at the last moment. I really appreciate the effort the Gyanone team put in in understanding my profile and aspirations (being an entrepreneur) through brainstorming sessions, and their expertise was clearly visible from the final output attained. I recommended their services to my friend who successfully got admitted in R2 in ISB and shall do it to others also as well. Wish you guys all the best!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: "Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 07:19
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on GmatClub (But I've been an active "reader" for the last 5-6 months)..
I took my Gmat about a month ago and I just started thinking about using an admission consultant... At first I was surprised about how much they cost... never thought it would cost me that high!!!

Just a quick question, did anyone ever prepared a summary table for the fees for each company?
I know it's all about the value factor... but just wanna make sure i'm not missing out on some affordable and good options.

@BB I know you're the king of summary tables, is it possible to start preparing such a table and have a score for each company for "negative/Positive" count ?

Thanks
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 128

Premium Member
Re: "Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 08:16
Hi mhkhalil,

This may be a bit outdated, but you can use this to start your research on consultants:
price-comparison-of-mba-consultants-and-links-to-their-sites-161420.html#p1277062

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: "Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 08:43
That is exactly what i needed... Thanks alot Farful..

Are you done with the consultation process? Do u mind sharing with us what was your final pick?

I'm planning to apply for R1 fall 2015, I thought I should start with the whole application process as soon as possible so I don't rush it in the last few weeks, dunno if it's too early...

I'm trying to convince myself that around 5000$ is worth it... Still not sure..

I'll be reading this thread (the pre-2014 one) to help me decide...

Posted from my mobile device Image
4 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 196 [4] , given: 128

Premium Member
Re: "Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
I have many thoughts regarding consultants. I had planned to write a review of the one I used after I figured out where I would matriculate, but it seems that might be awhile due to waitlists and such.

I should give a little background first. I knew very little about the business world and did not know anyone in it. I never even heard of the GMAT a year ago. I was looking for a career change and knew I wanted to attend a professional school of some sort. I was actually studying for the MCAT when I came across the GMAT, and despite the hundreds of hours I put into studying for the MCAT, I somehow ended up taking the GMAT instead.

After the GMAT, I convinced myself I needed to hire a consultant, mainly to have access to someone who has knowledge of the business world (and the app process!) and to help guide me though my goals and possibly explain to me the different career paths that are available with an MBA. I didn't think I needed help with my essay writing and editing - I have more than enough friends who could help me with that.

I decided an all-inclusive school package worth $3000+ was out of the question. That's almost two months of my offspring's daycare tuition! (Yes yes, I pay way too much for daycare). I really only needed something simple that would help me plan my MBA application strategy and goals. Maybe they could help with my school selection and resume as well.

I looked into a lot of à la carte services and 'basic' packages (think Amerasia's essay with resume service, MBA Admit's basic service, MBA Prep School's application strategy, etc). I used a dozen of those 'free 30 min consultations' and ended up picking from there.

One thing I learned from my dozen free consultations is that no one really had any good idea of how competitive of an applicant I was. Maybe it's because of the lack of information they have for their free consultation, but I had gotten a huge range of responses from "You have a shot at HBS" to "You should be looking at schools such as Babson or Thunderbird". I also found that many tend to be ageists and suggested I only look at EMBA or part-time programs. Also, I'm not sure why, but only one (Darren from touchmba.com, whom I contacted after already picking a consultant) suggested I look at schools with a healthcare element, which should have been blindingly obvious to both me and other consultants. I'm really grateful he was there to point out the obvious to me.

In any case, I used consulting services for my Yale application. I chose Yale because I thought I had a decent chance of getting in and logistically, it would have made the most sense to attend Yale. I was dinged without an interview.

Specifically, we spent a lot of time on my goals. After re-reading them recently, I'm certain that one reason for my failure this application cycle is due to my weak goals. Still, they are a lot better than it would have been had I not received help from my consultant. My resume was gibberish, and again, it's better now with some help, but I still don't think I got my money's worth for it. I asked for help in explanation of different career paths with industry/functions, but they did very little to help in that regard. Maybe it's not part of the package or it's not really explainable in any short concise way. Their essay service however, was better than I expected. I really didn't think I needed help with it, but my essays were certainly better because of them.

I have reasons to believe any consulting services will be more or less the same. I'm not convinced any one is better than another, and even current students or applicants who have gone through the cycle can offer tremendous feedback. I certainly have learned a lot and if I choose to be a re-applicant, I am sure I will have much greater success.

For my personal situation, I still have mixed thoughts. The consultant certainly did help and I would have been way worse off without the assistance. On hindsight however, I feel like I could have done other things instead that would have been much more useful.

For example, one of the most useful things I've done (unfortunately, after submitting my apps) is be active on the gmatclub chat. The first day there I listened to someone in the energy sector and another person who worked for Accenture and learned more about what it is that they do and understand more about the everyday activities of a consultant. Yesterday, I learned even more about what entrepreneurship entails and about the biofuel industry and its associated problems and opportunities. I find that listening to other people's jobs and goals have helped me tremendously.

Sorry for my long-winded response. If money isn't an issue, certainly go for it - it can't hurt! And if budget is tight, consider basic or à la carte services on exactly what you might need help with. Whether or not to hire a consultant I feel is very dependent on what you need and what you're looking for. Nevertheless, do take advantage of the many free consultations throughout the process (even after you hire one, if you choose to do so) and know that there are a lot of resources here on this forum alone (albeit, difficult to find)!

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 212 [1] , given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: "Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 14:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I didn't use a consultant and I really don't think they are necessary. Most of their advice and suggestions are readily available online. If you have friends who got into a top mba program, you can just ask them to read your essays/resumes/short-term goals. There's a lot of consultants around, and honestly I feel like I could give out better advice than most of them give out here or elsewhere. I've seen applications from people who used consultant services, and they didn't seem better than mine. Really the only advantage of a consultant is that is causes you to keep refining your essays and resume - but you should be doing that regardless if you use a consultant or not.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GMAT 2: Q V0
GRE 1: 327 Q161 V166
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 118 [2] , given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: "Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 22:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I hired The MBA Exchange a couple of years ago for my MBA applications. I had not-so-good experience. I think they failed me miserably on many counts -

1. They paired me with a part time consultant. There was no promised turn around time for his reply. Sometimes, he would reply in 2 days while other times he would take 4-5 days. He also missed his skype call once. I thought that was totally unprofessional. It was not surprising that I had to miss the first round deadlines for all schools. You can imagine how involved he was from the fact that he finalized one essay which exceeded the word count by almost 100 words. When I pointed this out, he simply said it did not matter.

2. There was absolutely no strategy involved in school selection. I just ended up selecting schools which I had heard or researched on forums and websites such as Poets&Quants, USnews etc. They had no school-specific knowledge.

3. There was no proper/honest assessment of my profile. I think, they did not match me to the right schools so as to maximize my chances of being admitted. With 700+ on GMAT and 8 years of experience at managerial level, I thought I had a good shot at top-20 schools. And if I did not have a good chance at a particular school, I thought it was their duty to tell me that. I could have spent my time and energies on the schools where my chances of success were the highest.

4. The Result: I applied to 4 schools with them. However, I was rejected by all the schools I'd applied with them.

It was definitely not worth about $6500 I paid for 4 applications.

Please consider giving 'kudos' if you like my post and want to thank :)

Read about my journey to 750 here - a-non-native-speakers-journey-to-99-le-on-verbal-750overall-171722.html#p1367876

Last edited by MensaNumber on 06 Apr 2014, 04:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Best Admissions Consulting Firm for IMD [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 07:31
Hello All - First of all, my thanks to bb, moderators and zillion contributors!!! This remains THE place for advise and preparation to enter B-School and beyond!

I am back on this forum after a gap of exactly 3 years (while I was preparing for GMAT). I prefer to choose different name now as I will be sending out my applications to schools this year.

I plan to apply to IMD and would like to know which admissions firms have the best credibility for IMD. I searched the forum and found quite some reviews for companies with good success rate for INSEAD, HBS, Columbia etc. but I could not find much with regards to reviews from IMD admits for firms they tried or used.

Appreciate any guidance that you guys might have. I have some initial consultations scheduled and will also PM some IMD admits. Many thanks in advance!

Rgds,
T.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: "Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 08:23
IMD does not have a large class size, and that is primarily why you won't see too many success stories being flashed around.

For every 9 candidates getting admitted to Wharton, you will see one IMD Admit. That does not mean that the consultant who can get you into Wharton/HBS/Columbia is not capable enough to get you an IMD seat.

PythaGURUS Education

TOP MBA Admissions Consulting and GMAT Preparation
Our MBA Admissions Consulting Services
Want to assess your candidature? Fill in a Free Applicant Review Form
Our Success Stories
Facebook Twitter LinkedIN Google+

Intern
Intern

How legit are admission consultants [#permalink] New post 16 May 2014, 08:01
I've been reading this forum for a while now and wondering if admission consultants are really what they are made out to be.

Generally speaking, how legit are the rankings for the mba consultants listed on gmat? Most of the people giving the ratings are either anon or haven't made even 1 post on here - how exactly can we as prospective students determine if they are actually what they say they are.

Also, do mba consultants really make that much of a difference?

I'd really like to know what non-admission consultants think, since it's actually quite a big investment per school.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2280

Kudos [?]: 8825 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How legit are admission consultants [#permalink] New post 16 May 2014, 09:23
Expert's post
Jadax wrote:
I've been reading this forum for a while now and wondering if admission consultants are really what they are made out to be.

Generally speaking, how legit are the rankings for the mba consultants listed on gmat? Most of the people giving the ratings are either anon or haven't made even 1 post on here - how exactly can we as prospective students determine if they are actually what they say they are.

Also, do mba consultants really make that much of a difference?

I'd really like to know what non-admission consultants think, since it's actually quite a big investment per school.

Discussions merged - you may also find answers in this discussion.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '15 (A)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

"Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2014, 21:41

!

I would highly recommend that people here check out GyanOne. I found them to be outstanding when it came to advice for top schools. I worked with them on my fall applications (2013) and secured admits to Kellogg, Yale.They possess excellent industry knowledge and have a lot of experience with top schools.

When it comes to applying to top schools, I felt I just could not take a chance. I got in touch with GyanOne and right from the beginning felt that I had chosen well. Not only did GyanOne help me to get into top schools, but they even helped me to choose the right one from among them based on my criteria. I continue to be in touch with GyanOne and in fact their consultants are today more than advisors to me but indeed friends
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: "Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 17:29
This post received
KUDOS

!

MensaNumber wrote:
I hired The MBA Exchange a couple of years ago for my MBA applications. I had not-so-good experience. I think they failed me miserably on many counts -

1. They paired me with a part time consultant. There was no promised turn around time for his reply. Sometimes, he would reply in 2 days while other times he would take 4-5 days. He also missed his skype call once. I thought that was totally unprofessional. It was not surprising that I had to miss the first round deadlines for all schools. You can imagine how involved he was from the fact that he finalized one essay which exceeded the word count by almost 100 words. When I pointed this out, he simply said it did not matter.

2. There was absolutely no strategy involved in school selection. I just ended up selecting schools which I had heard or researched on forums and websites such as Poets&Quants, USnews etc. They had no school-specific knowledge.

3. There was no proper/honest assessment of my profile. I think, they did not match me to the right schools so as to maximize my chances of being admitted. With 700+ on GMAT and 8 years of experience at managerial level, I thought I had a good shot at top-20 schools. And if I did not have a good chance at a particular school, I thought it was their duty to tell me that. I could have spent my time and energies on the schools where my chances of success were the highest.

4. The Result: I applied to 4 schools with them. However, I was rejected by all the schools I'd applied with them.

It was definitely not worth about $6500 I paid for 4 applications.

My experience with MBA Exchange was very similar to MensaNumber's. They took my essays and just jammed them full of buzz words. By the end I didn't even feel like it was my voice, but I mistakenly trusted them. I have a 710 GMAT and 3.5 GPA, but should not have reached as high as I did and they didn't tell me that.

Does anyone know of companies out there that will just give you feedback on your essays for MBA programs for a reasonable price (less then $3,000)?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Re: "Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 19:34
Coming from an MBA application consultant...

While I'm not sure if other consultants have been able to do the same, I've helped applicants with GMAT scores as low as 520 access top MBA programs such as Wharton, Stanford GBS, Emory Goizueta, LBS, HBS, Duke's Fuqua Business School, Booth, Kellogg and more.

I believe this boils down to the highly personalized approach I take. I work very closely with the applicant to understand his/her strengths, goals, weaknesses, passions, and potential as they relate to each MBA program. However, I take it a step further by identifying potential ways in which the applicant (in the short run) can introduce and implement initiatives in the workplace that can be incorporated into his/her application. I also ensure that all recommendation letters are 100% consistent with the rest of the application. To me, recommendation letters are just as important, if not more important than the essays themselves.

Within the first (free) 30-minute consultation, I can very quickly figure out if low GMAT scores are something I can work around, or if applicants should retake the GMAT and/or consider other MBA programs. This boils down to an applicant's professional background and other accomplishments.

If anyone's interested in learning more, please call/text me at +1.857.400.8742.

Thanks and good luck to you all!
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 105

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: "Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 21:45
Expert's post
MBALongShot wrote:

!

My experience with MBA Exchange was very similar to MensaNumber's. They took my essays and just jammed them full of buzz words. By the end I didn't even feel like it was my voice, but I mistakenly trusted them. I have a 710 GMAT and 3.5 GPA, but should not have reached as high as I did and they didn't tell me that.

Does anyone know of companies out there that will just give you feedback on your essays for MBA programs for a reasonable price (less then $3,000)?

MBALongShot - You have a PM on this.

Please revert over there!

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Intern
Intern

"Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2014, 03:44
Edit: Moderator Note: Review has been verified.

I had an incredible experience working with Caryn and Stacy Blackman Consulting. From the initial phone call through successful admission to one of my target schools, SBC made the process as smooth as possible. Caryn helped me structure my application strategy and always delivered helpful, constructive feedback. Caryn had a wealth of knowledge about each of my target schools and about the application process in general. The most helpful part of working with SBC was the consistent, helpful feedback. Caryn did not shy away from giving the tough feedback that I would not have gotten from family members, friends and colleagues. The MBA application process is challenging and stressful, but it was a pleasure working with SBC. I highly recommend SBC and Caryn to any prospective MBA students.
"Best" Admissions Consulting Companies - 2014   [#permalink] 29 May 2014, 03:44