Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best approach on doing the MGMAT books

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 19:21
I am doing the MGMAT verbal (SC, RC and SC) and Advanced Quant. They have problem references to the OG. Should I do those OG problems along with the chapters in MGMAT books or complete the MGMAT books and then start OG sequentially. Or I complete MGMAT and then do OG chapter wise. Each approach has different benefits. Just want to see if someone has experienced any benefit with any particular approach.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 6

Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 21:46
This post received
KUDOS
Correct. OG is Official Guide, MGMAT is Manhattan GMAT books. Seems like you are a new user. You will get familiar as you read more posts.

Keep clicking kudos if your questions are answered. That will encourage people to respond to the comments. Anyway site moderators do monitor and do respond timely.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 6

Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 21:48
This post received
KUDOS
Also if you intend to get GMAT Club tests then update your profile to get kudo's. 25 kudos and 100 posts help you get free tests.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9392 [0], given: 3696

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 19:22
Expert's post
Work on the OG as you cover the MGMAT Guides (follow the references - they are built to work on those questions immediately).
The books rely heavily on the OG for additional practice. Otherwise, they are a bit low on questions.

Also, there are additional questions online (the online practice banks that are good size) but you want to work on the OG as well (esp helpful for the Verbal part)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 20:58
Thanks bb. As I mentioned there are ups and downs with each approach. The downside I see with doing along with chapters is that I know that I have to look for particular area in OG problem rather than determining the area in itself first. For ex if I know I am doing an exercise for Parallelism I know I have to look for parallelism. Whereas first exercise is finding which category the problem is. I know no approach is best but just trying to brainstorm which approach maybe better for maximum benefits.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 21:39
OG meaning the official guid from GMAT directly
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 21:59
Thanks for asking this question, I actually had the same one...MGMAT books and OG12 being shipped now from Amazon.
Manager
Manager

Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 22:00
And just to confirm, I think I saw the GMAT Club tests are also available if you have more than 200 posts AND have been registered on the site for over 90 days.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 22:05
Yeah but kudos encourages more users to respond. And its other way of saying thanks. I would prefer putting good comments which will help others and get kudos than to type lesser useful 100 posts.

But yeah everyone has different opinion and approach.
Manager
Manager

Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 22:18
You make a good point. I just wanted to make sure that I hadn't read the information incorrectly.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 22:38
thks for the info
i was wondering if some one had stats on IIMA , how many applications would they be getting for PGPX annually.

what are the total number of GMAT test takers annually world wide.
Manager
Manager

Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 23:01
dev3017 wrote:
thks for the info
i was wondering if some one had stats on IIMA , how many applications would they be getting for PGPX annually.

what are the total number of GMAT test takers annually world wide.

Hey dev3017,

I think you might have better luck posting this in another forum. We were just discussing MGMAT books here.

Best,

Jazzman
Intern
Intern

Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 23:31
understand and make sense, its just that iam new to gmatclub :D, between whats a way out to start a new post.
Manager
Manager

Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 00:36
dev3017 wrote:
understand and make sense, its just that iam new to gmatclub :D, between whats a way out to start a new post.

Probably the best way would be to do a search. There should be a search bar near the top of your browser that you could use.

Otherwise you could post a new topic, by using the "New Topic" button, and hopefully you'll get replies that way.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 01:40
xjunglee1 wrote:
Thanks bb. As I mentioned there are ups and downs with each approach. The downside I see with doing along with chapters is that I know that I have to look for particular area in OG problem rather than determining the area in itself first. For ex if I know I am doing an exercise for Parallelism I know I have to look for parallelism. Whereas first exercise is finding which category the problem is. I know no approach is best but just trying to brainstorm which approach maybe better for maximum benefits.

Hey, in a sense that is not 100% correct. In my case, I have actually performed better in advanced questions than in basic ones. I have wondered myself how is this possible. Then I realized that even though you know that you will be tested mostly on some i.e. parallelism questions, that does not automatically mean that there will be no idioms, modifiers, tenses etc. Thus, you can understand parallelism well but could do poorly on most of those questions because of other reason than not understanding parallelism. I would recommend you to make an error log, and put down in a word document every problem that you did not solve correctly.

As I said in my example I had better percentage of correct answers in advanced questions than basics questions. I think the reason is that my knowledge has accumulated. For SC, you will need to know every chapter if you want to do well because GMAC, in my opinion, is mixing chapters when it makes those questions. So if I were you, I would do OG problems as soon I get a reference from MGMAT guide.

Set your aims high, carpe diem

Intern
Intern

Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 05:41
Hey, in a sense that is not 100% correct. In my case, I have actually performed better in advanced questions than in basic ones. I have wondered myself how is this possible. Then I realized that even though you know that you will be tested mostly on some i.e. parallelism questions, that does not automatically mean that there will be no idioms, modifiers, tenses etc. Thus, you can understand parallelism well but could do poorly on most of those questions because of other reason than not understanding parallelism. I would recommend you to make an error log, and put down in a word document every problem that you did not solve correctly.

As I said in my example I had better percentage of correct answers in advanced questions than basics questions. I think the reason is that my knowledge has accumulated. For SC, you will need to know every chapter if you want to do well because GMAC, in my opinion, is mixing chapters when it makes those questions. So if I were you, I would do OG problems as soon I get a reference from MGMAT guide.[/quote]

Ok thanks I will try this approach.
Re: Best approach on doing the MGMAT books   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2012, 05:41