Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best area to make an educated guess

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

Reviews Badge
Best area to make an educated guess [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 23:45
Hi,
Currently I use the following strategy for verbal when iam short of time.
I make educated guesses/random guesses on CR questions when iam short of time.The reasons are:
1)Random guessing on a CR question saves you 2mins straight
2)Guessing on RC can be costly as i think gmat gives more imp to rc.Alo,after going through a passage for 3-4 mins,it does not make any sense to guess on questions as one is already aware of passage content.
3)Sc is my srength and dont want to guess on that as it takes <=1 min and is my strength area.
Is my strategy correct or does gmat prefer even number of mistakes in each section.
I have exhausted my mgmat cats in my last attempt.
The foll is the data from my knewton cats.numbers given indicate total number of mistakes.
Cat 1:RC=2,sc=2,cr=7 total verbal score=40
cat2 :rc=1 sc=3,cr=3 35
cat 3:rc=0,sc=2.cr=2 35
cat4:rc=0,sc=0,cr=6 35
cat 5 rc=2,sc=2.cr=2 41
please help me out qucikly as my exam is on feb7
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 181

Re: Best area to make an educated guess [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 08:34
adhithya wrote:
Hi,
I make educated guesses/random guesses on CR questions when iam short of time.The reasons are:
2)Guessing on RC can be costly as i think gmat gives more imp to rc.Alo,after going through a passage for 3-4 mins,it does not make any sense to guess on questions as one is already aware of passage content.
3)Sc is my srength and dont want to guess on that as it takes <=1 min and is my strength area.
Is my strategy correct or does gmat prefer even number of mistakes in each section.
The foll is the data from my knewton cats.numbers given indicate total number of mistakes.
cat 5 rc=2,sc=2.cr=2 41

I would like to know too

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

VP
VP
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 456

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best area to make an educated guess [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 03:50
TheNona wrote:
adhithya wrote:
Hi,
cat 5 rc=2,sc=2.cr=2 41

I would like to know too

That is the correct strategy. You may leave questions on the section you are uncomfortable with, in case you are running short of time.
Try not to guess on consecutive questions though. For further analysis please go through this thread
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 360 [0], given: 5

Re: Best area to make an educated guess [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 05:16
Expert's post
Everyone guesses on the GMAT, so you want to be as strategic as possible. Never blindly guess on any question. Missing easy questions has a more negative impact on your score than missing hard questions, so you want to make sure to give your best effort to those questions you think you can handle.

The GMAT doesn't intentionally weight any question type above another, so be aware of your own strengths/weaknesses for guessing. If you love CR and do well on it, try to not guess on those questions. Use your guesses on RC/SC questions that are too hard for you so you can invest more time in CR questions.

Spread your guessing throughout the section. The easiest way to do this is to understand the amount of time you should dedicate to each question type and to follow timing benchmarks during the section (see posts linked below). If you stay true to the average time per question, overall section timing shouldn't be a problem. If you are following your timing benchmarks throughout the section, you will see very early if you are falling behind time, which means it's time to strategically guess on problems that are too difficult for you.

Question Pacing: question-pacing-146982.html#p1180682
Timing Benchmarks: timing-map-for-verbal-147846.html

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Best area to make an educated guess   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2013, 05:16