Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best B-School Swag

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago Booth ($$$) , Sloan, Kellogg, Wharton
WE 1: Commercial Banking
WE 2: Computer Hardware
WE 3: MRO
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Best B-School Swag [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 11:40
As I am cleaning up my desk at work, I'm noticing the ridiculous amounts of swag (Stuff-We-All-Get for those that may not be familiar with the term) that I have accumulated. So I began to think about all of the B-school swag that I'll having coming my way. It begs the question to all of you current students/alumns at the top schools....

What is the best swag you have received from either recruiters or the school itself?
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Best B-School Swag [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 13:59
I got a pretty handy umbrella from Bain.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Best B-School Swag [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 11:10
my gym headphones broke a few weeks ago, and i was getting ready to buy a new pair. at a conference i attended, barclays gave out a bunch of free stuff - including a pair of headphones. not the fanciest, but it really hit the spot.

GMAT Debrief

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Best B-School Swag [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 20:53
I didnt go but hersheys gave out huge baskets of chocolate that I wish I had gone for haha. CPGs tend to give out their products. I got an ipod for a second round interview and tons of thank you gift baskets come with offers. Usually loaded with stuff you toss out when you are moving. I have more water bottles and stress balls than I could ever fathom using.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Best B-School Swag [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 21:46
i cant help but think of this video when i read this thread title

GMAT Debrief

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Best B-School Swag [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 07:31
I got an ipod from Deutsche Bank for winning their poker tournament.

Otherwise, the banks give out really lame stuff. I have a Bear Stearns pen (it broke! ARF!) and Lehman Brothers calipers which break when placed under too much strain. Lots of Merrill crap too - notepads and stuff.

I certainly pride the bankrupt firm stuff the highest. My Lehman guide to CDOs is a personal favorite.

Intern
Intern

Re: Best B-School Swag [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 07:42
3underscore wrote:
I got an ipod from Deutsche Bank for winning their poker tournament.

Otherwise, the banks give out really lame stuff. I have a Bear Stearns pen (it broke! ARF!) and Lehman Brothers calipers which break when placed under too much strain. Lots of Merrill crap too - notepads and stuff.

I certainly pride the bankrupt firm stuff the highest. My Lehman guide to CDOs is a personal favorite.

Haha, that last line is classic. Maybe you will be able to sell it on eBay in a few years.

I will not understand why companies go cheap in this area. If you have such a small group of people you want to raise your stock with, go large. If I had a really cool Under-armour jacket with a SMALL company logo on it, I'd sport it often. If you get a critical mass of people doing that (say 25), your firm will look like the bees knees on campus. That small outlay of a couple grand will pay major dividends both during recruiting and down the line.

Have we learned nothing from those celebrity gift bags given out at the Academy Awards?
VP
VP

Re: Best B-School Swag [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 07:49
The banks have more than enough applicants to choose from. If you don't want to work for them because they don't give out stuff, they hardly care. They are very clear in the "who wants who" side of things, and that is that you want to be with them.

They give out stuff over the summer more, when they want to get their hooks in. Those stupid sausage bags, beach towels, fleece vests.

I wouldn't really ever want to wear any of that stuff in public anyway. My Lehman long sleeve t-shirt is nice, but has only been seen in gyms or the bleaching of bathrooms. I am not really into corporate sponsorship clothes.

Intern
Intern

Re: Best B-School Swag [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 07:57
From a marketing perspective, I have to disagree with you. Banks may be highly sought after, but they do compete with other banks and subsitute industries for the top talent. I mean, if I get an offer from Bank A, Bank B, Bank C, and Consulting firm D, I have choices. Now it shouldn't matter this much, but if I've seen a handful of other people I know and respect sporting their bag or jacket, the prestige factor of a firm will likely rise a bit. As we all know, people in B-school have a tendency to get wrapped up in what everyone else is doing.

The fact that your corporate clothing is used to bleach floors is more of a statement to the problem of the swag not being good enough. For the most part, I think this stuff is crap, too. What I'd like to know is if there are companies really doing this the right way.
VP
VP

Re: Best B-School Swag [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 08:21
They have league tables, earnings and average bonuses over the press. That is their marketing. You know who is good at what. Later rounds they start pushing some things your way, but the culture and the skill is much more the sell.

Banks and Hedge Funds really don't give two hoots for their marketing materials - it is all about the $$$. I know a marketing guy who was appalled by the pitch books for a $2bn Hedge Fund. It isn't that high a priority. So long as it is tidy and the numbers are right, the wow factor doesn't matter so much.

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Best B-School Swag [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 04:50
Here's what I collected from the healthcare space:

Boston Scientific: flash drive and laser pointer pen
Abbott: flash drive, nice (non-plastic) pen, and little notebook
J&J: bag full of their consumer goods (band-aids, Motrin, Listerine fresh-strips, Neutragena lip balm, etc.)
Medtronic: Cheap plastic pen
BD: Umbrella
Genentech: Cheap plastic pen
Amgen: Cheap plastic pen, highlighter

Plus if you actually end up working at a pharma company, there's a ton of leftover product swag (pens, coffee mugs, notepads, etc.) that they can't give to doctors anymore so it goes to the employees.

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Best B-School Swag [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 07:26
Oh, Jerz's post reminds me I got a really nice 4GB memory stick from Genentech. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore. :(

I also got a bunch of J&J stuff (Tylenol, band-aids, etc) that was really handy to keep in my backpack.

The CPG companies tend to be very generous. Some of my friends got baskets with $50 or more of products, however I don't know how useful some of it would be (acne medication, yeast infection treatments).

RF

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross '13
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Best B-School Swag [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 07:40
Jerz wrote:
Plus if you actually end up working at a pharma company, there's a ton of leftover product so it goes to the employees.

When I first read the post this is what I thought you said :D free pills woohoo! lol

My profile

Re: Best B-School Swag   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2010, 07:40