Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 18:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Basic Books for English and Maths.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Best Basic Books for English and Maths. [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2005, 00:20
Hello Friends,

Warm Greetings !!.

Very new on this forum.

I will be studying the standard GMAT books only for four months

from 1st June 2006 to 1st October 2006.

Till that time I would like to brush up my basic skills

on English and Maths.

Kindly let me know what are the best books for

basic english and maths subjects

which will be available in India.

Your responses will help me a lot in the long run.

Waiting for an early reply.

Thanks & Best Regards,

business_knowledge1.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Best Books for Basic GMAT English and Maths Subjects. [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2005, 08:20
Hello Friends,

I am waiting for you people to reply.

To brush up my Maths and English

skills should I read RS Agarwal

and Wren and Martin?

If no then what all basic books should I read for

both Maths and English.

What should be my plan of action

to brush up basic Maths and English skills.

I am desperately seeking help from you people.

Kindly reply.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

business_knowledge1.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2005, 09:22
Hi. I am not familiar with RS Agarwal but the Wren and Martin book is supposed to be good. I was pretty solid on grammar in high school, so I don't have that book, although I do have one called Grammar Smart, which is pretty good.

The GMAT prep books have pretty good reviews of math formulas and grammar rules, too. Have you bought any yet? I've been out of school for a while, so I got Math Workout and Verbal Workout from Princeton Review in addition to the regular guide. You can get them from Amazon and have them shipped.

Hope this helps...very smart of you to plan ahead so well!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2005, 13:55
I agree w/ Nickelback. GMAT prep books are good for basic review. You have to remember that not all Math and English is tested on the GMAT, only a few concepts. The Official Guide has a decent math review. The Math Reference section in the back of Kaplan study guide is pretty good too.
For more complex math concepts, you can check out "4gmat.com". They have "E-books" on different math topics for $6.99 each. I only bought the one on Number Properties and its great.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 16:07
Somebody (coffeeloverfreak?) recommended Hall and Knight (for Algebra) which is a classic of the level of Wren and Martin. Another also suggested "The elements of Style" which is another classic. I suggest reading the Share your GMAT experience forum - most people after posting their stellar scores (and I really do mean stellar!) also let you know which books they like.

Hope this helps you.

I am glad that you're planning early - I would STRONGLY urge you to consider preparing and giving the GMAT earlier - if you have it done by the middle of the year, then you will be able to concentrate exclusively on the essays and recommendations and arranging transcripts and the like. Otherwise you run the risk of having a very hectic time in the last quarter of 2006.

I myself was considering early 2006 but because of the Pearson/ETS switcheroo I am considering giving it in Dec.
Best of luck.
  [#permalink] 25 Oct 2005, 16:07