Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 15:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Book for GMAT Preparation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2008, 23:29
I am new to GMAT and want to sit for exam with in January. Please suggest me which book should i follow. Thank you
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2008, 01:45
Kaplan books, official guide and princeton are considered as the general good prep material. I have not used princeton though so i dont know much about that, but kaplan is good. Later you could try gmat challenge , and gmat prep tests.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2008, 11:49
i got manhattan 8 guides 2007 edition and they are great
u need og 11 and the og verbal and quant too
they will publish a new edition in the end of this month and the preview look very comprehansive and clear
and u get the mgmat online tests and q banks
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 05:04
they will publish a new edition in the end of this month and the preview look very comprehansive and clear -

Did you meant they will publish a new edition i.e Official guide 12 this month?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 04:00
chitrakar,

Verbal: OG 11.. DO all the questions in math and verbal sections.. understand the explanations - very important as this is the logic GMAT expects test-takers to apply. For sentence correction (SC), use Manhattan SCs. For Critical Reasoning (CR), Kaplan is good. But, avoid Kaplan for other sections of the GMAT. For Reading Comprehension (RC), OG 11 should be good. You may also use ARCO GRE to work out a few passages.

Practice tests (computer based): Please take only GPrep and PowerPrep. Avoid other tests as they are either too easy or too difficult.

For more info., drop me a line at: somushankar@rocketmail.com
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 11:20
inspirer wrote:
they will publish a new edition in the end of this month and the preview look very comprehansive and clear -

Did you meant they will publish a new edition i.e Official guide 12 this month?

Thanks!

Manhattan GMAT just released the 2008 edition of their series, so I would assume that's what he/she meant.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 17:47
The best book to start with by far is Cracking the GMAT, the Princeton Review book. It has the best overall explanation of the test IMHO. They make it easy to understand and it's actually kind of funny (they don't seem to think a whole lot of this test, just like us, lol). The tips for each question type really helped me also to help me keep my timing good and for doing smart guessing when I was running out of time. The tests are good too.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2008, 17:51
austin99 wrote:
Practice tests (computer based): Please take only GPrep and PowerPrep. Avoid other tests as they are either too easy or too difficult.

Actually, I would disagree. Powerprep is too old to be really that useful anymore. The scoring algorithm has changed a bit, and it's definitely easier than the current test. I wouldn't bother with Powerprep unless you're really out of other materials and just want extra practice (most of those questions are in the OG 10, btw).

GMATPrep is undoubtedly the best but I also used the PR tests and I would highly recommend those. They are adaptive like the real one and they're great practice.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 12:03
I liked Cracking the GMAT too, it was very helpful. So was Manhattan Review's quant book
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 14:43
I plan to use OG, Princeton, Kaplan and GMAT prep...and of course..all the questions discussed on this forum.
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 10:53
PowerScore CR, Aristotle SC,RC99,CR99 are also good for basics and practice
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 10:46
This is what the stickies are for ;)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 12:09
hi!

I have just started with my GMAT preparation and I must say the GMAT Club has been of a great use in providing me some vital information regarding the preparation. I have already purchased OG 13 and Princeton's review. I am planning to buy Manhattan series for my other sections. Also,my maths is not very good since i left it after my tenth standard. I am quite confused between Kaplan workbook ,Kaplan basic foundation and EZ solutions for maths. Kindly suggest which one would be apt for clearing my concepts. Am aiming at a score of 750. I have two months in hand to prepare. Kindly suggest if I should start with the manhattan series first or continue with my OG 13 ? or should these be done simultaneously? let me know ! Also, which one of the two would be better to prepare from...MGMAT or Grail?

Thanks
Hemanshu
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 06:42
raihemanshu wrote:
hi!

I have just started with my GMAT preparation and I must say the GMAT Club has been of a great use in providing me some vital information regarding the preparation. I have already purchased OG 13 and Princeton's review. I am planning to buy Manhattan series for my other sections. Also,my maths is not very good since i left it after my tenth standard. I am quite confused between Kaplan workbook ,Kaplan basic foundation and EZ solutions for maths. Kindly suggest which one would be apt for clearing my concepts. Am aiming at a score of 750. I have two months in hand to prepare. Kindly suggest if I should start with the manhattan series first or continue with my OG 13 ? or should these be done simultaneously? let me know ! Also, which one of the two would be better to prepare from...MGMAT or Grail?

Thanks
Hemanshu

Check this..

best-gmat-books-118706.html

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: Best Book for GMAT Preparation   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2013, 06:42