Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Brand of Laptop for MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 14

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 11:58
wait for apple to come out with the macbook air-pro hybrid. 15 inch. rumors are saying that it's going to be sometime this summer. probably around $1700
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 18:27
MDF wrote:
I don't like the feel of Windows, so I'll be using a Macbook Air.

As for spreadsheet/Excel...Office for Mac is sufficient for my current, albeit somewhat limited, needs. But if a course requires Windows-only software, I'll just setup a dual boot.

The wonders of desktop virtualization!

I have no idea if I'm just going to go PC or a Mac... However all the school I've looked at have been pretty adamant about Windows 7 PC's.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 36

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 18:57
i agree with GMATLA that Excel in Mac is not same as Excel in windows. however, i will still buy "another" mac once I turn in my office mac. I will have vmware, bootcamp with windows running just for Excel.

i don't want two computers at mba and the personal me can't live without mac.

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
GPA: 3.27
WE: Accounting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 19:43
Has anyone worked extensively with the 2011 version of office for macs? My boss uses it at work and it seems to have closed the gap on the windows version considerably, at least at first glance.

If anyone's used the software for higher end excel use, I think it'd be beneficial for many of us to hear your thoughts!

Posted from my mobile device Image
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 19:59
I'll be using my 1.5 years old Acer Laptop with Windows 7, I have Full Enterprise version of Office in it, and the screen + Keyboard is big, so I feel quite convennient using the same.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 53

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 10:39
I got the Lenovo T420S during the Thanksgiving sale (10-15% off) at the end of 2011. I start school this fall.
I wanted a lightweight laptop (3.68 lbs) with a 14' screen and good specs. Also rugged as hell.

i5 processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard disk 7200 RPM. The keyboard is fantastic too! I got it for ~$900.
And it has all the Lenovo attributes, scratch proof screen, spill resistant keyboard that drains anything poured over it, Lenovo thinkvantage, etc. I should be relatively bulletproof through my 2 years.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: Indiana (Kelley) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 540 Q33 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q39 V40
GPA: 3.22

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 5

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 11:56
Last year for my personal use I bought an HP Pavilion dv6. I think I have about 4-6GB of memory on it, and enough processing power to handle whatever will come my way in b-school. HPs have a good name for PCs. I use Dells for work and like them also. I've never fallen in love with the Macs, but have always been a PC girl because of my IT work experience. My school recommends PCs although I think they give limited technical support to Mac owners, so I'm glad that my previous purchase will work well for me.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 13:00
It really depends on your focus and how much support you anticipate needing. Macs are great and very user friendly. Office for Macs is not as good as Office for Windows, but it's still pretty good. If you anticipate using Excel frequently, the things missing on the Mac version will start to annoy you. It will also be more difficult to get support for a Mac. That's not a problem if you can handle your own tech support, but it could be otherwise. I work in IT (not helpdesk or support, but it still counts), and can tell you that many IT support personnel just don't want anything to do with Macs. They work in Windows (or Linux) all day and either can't or don't want to deal with a computer that they aren't as familiar with.

My opinion on buying a new laptop is, go with Lenovo or HP. They both make very good computers. They both also have nice ultrabooks, and I'm leaning heavily toward an ultrabook right now because of their low weight and good performance. Sony also makes nice computers, albeit usually more expensive. My primary problem with Sony laptops is that they come installed with Sony software, and some of it is impossible to remove without formatting the computer and starting from scratch.

Gavin Johnson
gavin-johnson.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 13:12
I have a sony vaio and it's awful. I'd stay away from Sony PCS.

Honestly, I've been using a MAC for work and it's a much better computer then PCS. So if I end up in a finance-heavy job, I can always buy a cheap PC for excel and have my mac for personal reasons. Or just do bootcamp.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 14:19
Any reason Mac + bootcamp wouldn't be sufficient?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 2

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 14:35
Maverick33 wrote:
Any reason Mac + bootcamp wouldn't be sufficient?

My buddy who went to Wharton and works in VC so was heavily finance focused said Mac + bootcamp was completely sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 15:55
Mac + Bootcamp should be fine. Mac computers are great (a little expensive but great), and using Bootcamp to run Windows would solve a lot of the Mac problems I mentioned before.

Gavin Johnson
gavin-johnson.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Health Care)

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 06:32
PC ultrabooks and Windows7 have really come a long way, making user experience as pleasant as using a mac. The new ultrabooks coming out this summer will catch up in terms of battery life, power use, portability.

If you're buying a mac, you're paying for the customer service and fit/finish/built of a mac. Which is outstanding compared to PC IMO.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 09:03
I have to agree with Guy. I use windows 7 and office 2011 at work now, and it's much closer (and not coincidentally, much similar) to my Mac.

I would say at this point, a lot of the benefit from the mac relates to the "technosphere" Macs create when you also have an iphone, ipad, etc. I think this, along with the ease of use, are the reasons I'll wind up with a Mac.

If I had an Android phone and a kindle fire, I'd probably just grab a mid-level Toshiba or Lenovo.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.98
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 13:15
I will be getting a new mac and use plan to bootcamp for heavy excel. I've actually never owned a PC and can't stand my work laptop...
Expert Post
MBA Prep School President & Co-Founder

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 21:19
Expert's post
Have used Excel for financial modeling extensively in my career and can assure you that the Excel version included in Office 2011 for Mac is NOT remotely similar for advanced uses to the Windows/PC version. The keyboard shortcuts are completely different and although it supports Visual Basic for Excel, many of the code modules that you can download online and/or will be provided by the school will only work on the PC version of Excel. That said, I use a MacBook Pro for almost everything else and believe that dual boot into Windows with the WIndows version of Excel should work fine.

Hope that helps!

Cheers, Chris

If you find my response/post useful then please give it kudos!

Chris Aitken
Co-Founder
MBA Prep School
San Francisco, CA

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 13:18
MrTunes wrote:
Has anyone worked extensively with the 2011 version of office for macs? My boss uses it at work and it seems to have closed the gap on the windows version considerably, at least at first glance.

If anyone's used the software for higher end excel use, I think it'd be beneficial for many of us to hear your thoughts!

Posted from my mobile device Image

I too am an avid apple fan. I use a Mac at home, and a PC at work. I do quite a bit of financial modeling (VC for the past 2 years).
Unfortunately, Office for Mac 2011 simply isn't the same as Office for Windows.
However, I plan to keep using a Mac during my MBA and switching to Windows (dual boot) whenever some serious Excel work is needed.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 13:36
My mac is from Jan 2010... so it'll be close to 2.5 years old... anyone planning to use a mac that is this old? I'm wondering if it it will hold up if I add the extra programs. It already lags from time to time. :(
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 13:58
clouds2012 wrote:
My mac is from Jan 2010... so it'll be close to 2.5 years old... anyone planning to use a mac that is this old? I'm wondering if it it will hold up if I add the extra programs. It already lags from time to time. :(

Mine is from October 2008, and it holds up ok since I added ram in it, I'm planning to start with it until apple updates its line (except if they do it soon)
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 15:42
I'm of the opinion that if I'm already taking out 100-150k of debt for my MBA, I might as well treat myself to a nice MacBook laptop.

Just my 2 cents
Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2012, 15:42