Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 11:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Brand of Laptop for MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 5

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
glores1970 wrote:
gavinj1984 wrote:
glores1970 wrote:
All,
Is this an option - forgo the laptop completely. Instead buy any tablet and use Google documents for all your office needs.
I dont know how well Google's spreadsheet compares to Excel.

Is this option viable ? It will be more convenient to carry a tablet than a laptop, and other than finance heavy courses, it appears that Excel is not critical.

Another question - do business schools allow students to record lectures ? Audio ? Video ?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Google Docs are okay for standard stuff, but if you need to get format or formula heavy, you're going to be out of luck. Also, I would much rather be overprepared than underprepared. A nice, fast laptop will definitely be able to handle whatever is thrown at me, but a tablet probably won't be able to.

Thanks for your reply, gavinj1984. I do see your point about being overprepared.

But seriously, what does an MBA course throw at you, other than Excel formulas, that cannot be done on any tablet in the market. For a finance class, one can use any laptop, even an older one. But for every other course, all you need is a word processor, presentation software, email and of course, a browser.

I wouldn't buy a new laptop unless it is absolutely needed.
I think compared to a tablet, a laptop is much clumsier to handle in a class. With a tablet, you could even record the lecture ! Do they allow that ?

I agree that a new laptop is not necessary if you already have one. The big problem that I can see with using a tablet as your primary computing device, Excel excluded, is that it is very limited. It's great for e-mails and browsing the web. For presentations or word processing, tablets are very limited. There just isn't the same capability. Also, I hate typing anything longer than a paragraph or so on a tablet. If you have to type even a five-hundred word essay, a tablet is not great. I have a feeling that if you decide to go with a tablet as a primary device that you will end up carrying around both a laptop and a tablet a lot of the time. If you're already carrying around a laptop, then the convenience of a tablet is greatly reduced.

Gavin Johnson
gavin-johnson.com

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 05:27
went and looked at computers last weekend. fell in love w/ the asus zenbook. and then found out they are releasing a brand new one like right now. so probably going to get that. sort of hard to parse exactly what models are being offered (asus seems terribad at telling its customers things) but hoping for the config w/ new i7 and 128 ssd. my current laptop is an asus and has been running perfectly for 4 years so pleased to keep using them.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 13:41
HP's are garbage, so are Dells (I really cannot emphasize this enough). Don't bother with Apple, they're over-priced fanboi computers- good for people who don't know how to use a pc. Lenova, Asus, Acer, Toshiba/Sony- in that order. Windows 8 is coming soon and you can get it for a good deal with purchase. Or you could always buy a used Thinkpad (t series) and run Ubuntu on it, if you'd like a bargain deal.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 17:30
pacostacos wrote:
HP's are garbage, so are Dells (I really cannot emphasize this enough). Don't bother with Apple, they're over-priced fanboi computers- good for people who don't know how to use a pc. Lenova, Asus, Acer, Toshiba/Sony- in that order. Windows 8 is coming soon and you can get it for a good deal with purchase. Or you could always buy a used Thinkpad (t series) and run Ubuntu on it, if you'd like a bargain deal.

Apple's hardware quality is still miles ahead of any other manufacturer's. I think the software thing could be an issue, not sure, but it's absurd to say it's a "fanboi" computer. And not having to go out of your way to learn arcane ways to maintain your computer is the whole point of a Mac, letting you focus on more important things, like school/work.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 06:47
I have been doing my diligence for a while and I am still on the fence about using my Mac this fall. I have not been convinced that even with Windows 7 and Microsoft Office for Windows that I will be ok with the heavy lifting in my finance classes as well as any programs that run off of Windows. I have always been PC user and only first purchased a Mac in 2010, but still use a PC at work.

If I do purchase a PC, i really dont want to spend more than $300 (looking at refurbished and Scratch and Dent models from Lenovo, Dell, etc). I would love to get some more folks thoughts on this who have been through at least one year of their MBA program.

Thank you!
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 01:44
I've been using a Dell Latitude E6500 for work and I've not had any troubles with it. My next laptop (when I get to B-School) will probably be a Lenovo Thinkpad. I was not too impressed with the new line of Latitudes; they don't feel as sturdy as the previous generation and they look more like consumer laptops now. The new Lenovo Thinkpad T530 is out in the U.S. The nice thing about the new T530 is the discrete Nvidia NVS 1GB graphics card. However the new model has switched over to an island style keyboard layout. I love the feel of classic Lenovo/Dell keyboard so I'm not sure if the new graphics card is a worthy tradeoff wrt losing the classic keyboard.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 08:22
EmoryNole wrote:
Im doing the Lenovo X1 as well. With the student pricing, you can do a SSD and the whole shot is around $1,300 with MsftOffice installed. This computer is amazing. Powerful, thin, long battery life with SSD, durable, charges wicked fast and boot time is equally fast. It's the whole package if you're willing to spend the money.

Best computer available outside of Mac. I have heard that unless you are computer savvy, the Mac is discernibly different than PCs. Since Ctrl+Alt+Del is still my go-to solution to any and all problems, I prefer to be on the same page as professors instruction without having to rely on what little tech savvy I have.

How do you get that student pricing? Is this a special link at lenovo's website that all students get or is it specific for your school?

A x1 for $1300 w/ MS Office sounds like a good deal. (Although don't most schools give out MS Office for free or like $15 to mba students?)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Goizueta '14
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 08:53
On the Lenovo website you just go to Solutions For and scroll down to students. I am not sure if you the school matters, but I know the discount worked for Emory. You won't be able to get the X1 right now though because the X1 carbon is coming out in August. I ordered my X1 from the Lenovo outlet site (outlet.lenovo.com), 160SSD, Windows Prof64, whole nine yards for under $1,300 brand new. If you don't want to wait until August to order your laptop, thats a great price for a phenomenal computer. Emory's program begins in late July so I really didn't want to wait. Also, who knows how much the new X1 will cost or how long it will take to ship.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 10:21
EmoryNole wrote:
Also, who knows how much the new X1 will cost or how long it will take to ship.

Yeah the new x1 carbon looks incredible, but probably very pricey.

Thanks for explaining how to get the student discount.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 02:05
read a ton of ultrabook reviews and am torn between the lenovo ideapads (U300/310) and the asus zenbook (ux31/prime)
the former seems like a more reliable brand and doesn't have any keyboard/trackpad issues.

asus resolution dwarfs lenovo, however, a number of reviews noted that the keyboard and trackpad are buggy.

thoughts on either of the two models?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 03:08
It depends up on how you use your laptop.. I would suggest u acer.

Management Paradise is India’s largest online management community with a strong registered membership base of over 3 lakh Management Students and Professionals.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 18:49
asdasd123123 wrote:
read a ton of ultrabook reviews and am torn between the lenovo ideapads (U300/310) and the asus zenbook (ux31/prime)
the former seems like a more reliable brand and doesn't have any keyboard/trackpad issues.

asus resolution dwarfs lenovo, however, a number of reviews noted that the keyboard and trackpad are buggy.

thoughts on either of the two models?

I was looking at these two models, as well. I'm probably going to go with the Zenbook because the Ideapad doesn't have an Ethernet port.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 27

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 21:00
This post received
KUDOS
ls413 - Best to my knowledge the Zenbook doesn't have an ethernet port either.

I eventually went ahead with the Thinkpad X230 and couldn't be happier!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 22:29
I have a Lenovo and am very satisfied with it. However the only reason I got it was because I was getting a good deal for it. All the best laptop brands like HP, Dell, Sony are equally good.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 13

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The Lenovo x-series is probably the best choice out, but if you want to be more price conscious, I would look at the Lenovo Thinkpad e-series. I think those are the small business laptops, not as thin as the x-series but easily good enough to get you through school. I got a brand new one for $700, while the x-series go for well over a thousand.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-17-2014
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 08:52
I used the Thinkpad at my first job, and it can definitely get the job done. I'd be happy with that, or possible one of those Dell Latitude laptops
Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2014, 08:52