Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Best Brand of Laptop for MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
mpg2011 wrote:
MDF wrote:
I don't like the feel of Windows, so I'll be using a Macbook Air.

As for spreadsheet/Excel...Office for Mac is sufficient for my current, albeit somewhat limited, needs. But if a course requires Windows-only software, I'll just setup a dual boot.

I'm 100% decided on a mac too... I think the new Office will suffice for mac, if not, dual boot it is.

Someone above mentioned this, but you really might want to reconsider buying Apple products if you're going to do anything even remotely related to heavy spreadsheet work (i.e. financial modeling, etc.).

I own a MacBook Pro at home and it's completely useless for professional use (my career has been in investment banking and private equity). There are extremely limited excel shortcuts and the lack of a separate number pad is a real pain.

My plan is to make the iPad my everyday device and then find a moderately-priced laptop that I'll use for anything requiring spreadsheets, which I assume will be anything requiring financial models, graphs, statistics, etc. That plan may ultimately change, but there's no chance I'll be using Apple as my b-school laptop.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I would also HIGHLY recommend a PC instead of a MAC if you are planning on going into finance. You may think that EVERYTHING should be compatable with MAC, but I can tell you that this is not the case. Learn how to use a PC, learn how to use excel on a PC, and continue with PC. No company you will ever work for will allow you to use a Mac in finance, and if you are an excel guy (like me) you know what a detriment Mac's can be to your work. Even though Office for Mac trys to be 100% compatable, it absolutely isn't, and only gets worse with more advanced applications of it.

If you want to work in Private equity, investment banking, or anything finance heavy, I would not advise using a Mac.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38
Send PM
Kudos
budablasta wrote:
MDF wrote:

As for spreadsheet/Excel...Office for Mac is sufficient for my current, albeit somewhat limited, needs. But if a course requires Windows-only software, I'll just setup a dual boot.

A little curious here. I myself love the MBA and would love to buy it for my MBA (couldn't resist! lol!) but the Air doesn't have a CD drive. That worries me. I know for a fact that sometimes you are required to run a software off a CD (could be anything - minitab, spss, some other training, anything). How are you going to work around that.

Also, doesn't the Air heat up a little more than regular laptops?

Feels like I'll be sacrificing functionality for form. Not a good deal for me.

I have the MBA - it's awesome. Doesn't heat more than a usual laptop. It's very fast!

And for the CD there is a simple option of using the SuperDrive:

https://store.apple.com/us/product/MC684ZM/A

You can even run CDs/DVDs that are mounted in other Macs (iMac, Macbook Pro etc.) - via Wifi

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1777?viewlocale=en_US
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just to give anyone the heads up that is interested in a Lenovo, www.corporateperks.com is running one of the best Lenovo deals I've ever seen. It's like 20-30% off most laptops and accessories (even the newest docking stations, monitors, bags, etc..). I just picked up an x230, 128 SSD, I5 2.6 Ivy Bridge, 4GM RAM, Full Docking Station, 3 year on-site warranty, Webcam, fingerprint reader, backlit keyboard, 36 month version of Norton Internet Security 2012, 6 cell battery, IPS screen, full docking station (was $219, with deal was $149!), and many little accessories for $1,300. Saved almost $500 with the discount, and this was on top of the already "discounted" (The're ALWAYS running "discounts") price. Deal runs through June 12. Wasn't planning on buying my computer for another month or so, but this deal was way too good to pass up.

Note: Requires that you create an account... once you do, click on the lenovo deal under electronics (its the #1 used deal on the whole site right now) and click "Shop Now". It will redirect you to the Lenovo website except everything will be like 25% off. It's incredible.

Also, I have no affiliation with corporate perks and neither does GMAT Club. Just trying to hook up my fellow Clubbers :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Moving this to the "B-School Life" section.

For reference, here are some similar discussions:
laptop-suggestion-113516.html
2010-laptop-discussion-91450.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
After finishing my first year at HBS, my recommendation for a laptop would probably be a 13" Macbook Air although at this point it probably makes sense to get the new slimmed down Macbook Pro which looks pretty sweet. I had a 13" Macbook Pro this past year and it felt way too heavy to be lugging around campus. (Edited to note: looks like the new slim Macbook Pro is only in the 15" model. Get the new Air than.)

As far as Excel modeling goes, I ran Parallels with Windows 7 and the latest Microsoft Office. At home I had a larger monitor that I docked my laptop to and a wireless Microsoft compatible keyboard so that I could do all the Excel shortcuts that I was used to. I have yet to use my DVD drive on my Macbook Pro although I do have an external drive as well which are crazy cheap these days.

Oh, and I was a diehard PC user but the prices are getting close that it didn't seem to be an unreasonable aesthetic premium. OS X is pretty slick and the touchpad is a joy to use. I also have the latest Office for Mac and while I do use the Excel when I'm too lazy to boot up Parallels, it's still a far cry from the Windows version for doing any heavy lifting. I know plenty of bankers and PE guys who are using Macs here at school but in the office they obviously would still be using their company issued Vaios or Thinkpads. Interesting to note that our Training the Street instructor did his Excel training from a Mac running Parallels as well. That seemed a bit strange.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
glores1970 wrote:
All,
Is this an option - forgo the laptop completely. Instead buy any tablet and use Google documents for all your office needs.
I dont know how well Google's spreadsheet compares to Excel.

Is this option viable ? It will be more convenient to carry a tablet than a laptop, and other than finance heavy courses, it appears that Excel is not critical.

Another question - do business schools allow students to record lectures ? Audio ? Video ?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Google Docs are okay for standard stuff, but if you need to get format or formula heavy, you're going to be out of luck. Also, I would much rather be overprepared than underprepared. A nice, fast laptop will definitely be able to handle whatever is thrown at me, but a tablet probably won't be able to.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gavinj1984 wrote:
GMATLA wrote:
Just to give anyone the heads up that is interested in a Lenovo, https://www.corporateperks.com is running one of the best Lenovo deals I've ever seen. It's like 20-30% off most laptops and accessories (even the newest docking stations, monitors, bags, etc..). I just picked up an x230, 128 SSD, I5 2.6 Ivy Bridge, 4GM RAM, Full Docking Station, 3 year on-site warranty, Webcam, fingerprint reader, backlit keyboard, 36 month version of Norton Internet Security 2012, 6 cell battery, IPS screen, full docking station (was $219, with deal was $149!), and many little accessories for $1,300. Saved almost $500 with the discount, and this was on top of the already "discounted" (The're ALWAYS running "discounts") price. Deal runs through June 12. Wasn't planning on buying my computer for another month or so, but this deal was way too good to pass up.

Note: Requires that you create an account... once you do, click on the lenovo deal under electronics (its the #1 used deal on the whole site right now) and click "Shop Now". It will redirect you to the Lenovo website except everything will be like 25% off. It's incredible.

Also, I have no affiliation with corporate perks and neither does GMAT Club. Just trying to hook up my fellow Clubbers :)

I'm not sure if anybody's looked at this, but you should. If you are thinking about buying a Lenovo, jump on this deal. I just bought one (I was going to get an X230t anyway) and it saved me $475.

Pretty awesome right? Never seen anything quite like it... Even corporate perks.com mentions it's only for older models, but then once you're on the website it's like for everything! I feel like it's their employee pricing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
glores1970 wrote:
gavinj1984 wrote:
glores1970 wrote:
All,
Is this an option - forgo the laptop completely. Instead buy any tablet and use Google documents for all your office needs.
I dont know how well Google's spreadsheet compares to Excel.

Is this option viable ? It will be more convenient to carry a tablet than a laptop, and other than finance heavy courses, it appears that Excel is not critical.

Another question - do business schools allow students to record lectures ? Audio ? Video ?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Google Docs are okay for standard stuff, but if you need to get format or formula heavy, you're going to be out of luck. Also, I would much rather be overprepared than underprepared. A nice, fast laptop will definitely be able to handle whatever is thrown at me, but a tablet probably won't be able to.

Thanks for your reply, gavinj1984. I do see your point about being overprepared.

But seriously, what does an MBA course throw at you, other than Excel formulas, that cannot be done on any tablet in the market. For a finance class, one can use any laptop, even an older one. But for every other course, all you need is a word processor, presentation software, email and of course, a browser.

I wouldn't buy a new laptop unless it is absolutely needed.
I think compared to a tablet, a laptop is much clumsier to handle in a class. With a tablet, you could even record the lecture ! Do they allow that ?

I agree that a new laptop is not necessary if you already have one. The big problem that I can see with using a tablet as your primary computing device, Excel excluded, is that it is very limited. It's great for e-mails and browsing the web. For presentations or word processing, tablets are very limited. There just isn't the same capability. Also, I hate typing anything longer than a paragraph or so on a tablet. If you have to type even a five-hundred word essay, a tablet is not great. I have a feeling that if you decide to go with a tablet as a primary device that you will end up carrying around both a laptop and a tablet a lot of the time. If you're already carrying around a laptop, then the convenience of a tablet is greatly reduced.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Goizueta '14
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
On the Lenovo website you just go to Solutions For and scroll down to students. I am not sure if you the school matters, but I know the discount worked for Emory. You won't be able to get the X1 right now though because the X1 carbon is coming out in August. I ordered my X1 from the Lenovo outlet site (outlet.lenovo.com), 160SSD, Windows Prof64, whole nine yards for under $1,300 brand new. If you don't want to wait until August to order your laptop, thats a great price for a phenomenal computer. Emory's program begins in late July so I really didn't want to wait. Also, who knows how much the new X1 will cost or how long it will take to ship.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
ls413 - Best to my knowledge the Zenbook doesn't have an ethernet port either.

I eventually went ahead with the Thinkpad X230 and couldn't be happier!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
The Lenovo x-series is probably the best choice out, but if you want to be more price conscious, I would look at the Lenovo Thinkpad e-series. I think those are the small business laptops, not as thin as the x-series but easily good enough to get you through school. I got a brand new one for $700, while the x-series go for well over a thousand.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Kudos
Mine's Toshiba and works fine without any problem. Would recommend anyone who wants to get quality with a cheap price!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Good question, I've been wrestling with the same thing. Pretty sure I'm getting a used Lenovo X201 tablet, but would be curious to see others thoughts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
i5 processor laptop with 4-8gb of ram and a decent sized hard drive -- all you need, brand doesnt matter. i have a lenovo and it works fine, dell works fine, etc

do NOT overpay for apple products, especially if you want to do finance

credibility - done IT work on campus for many years, work in finance, and tech geek all aroun

dont buy from the school sites either go to dealnews.com or something and find one that meets your needs
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
I asked some students at Wharton's welcome weekend and a lot of them told me they have ipads that they use in class and store their class notes on (so that they don't have to print off as much paper, which they have to pay for). They said it's important to have a different computer to use excel on, but it doesn't need to be super nice as long as it has the basic programs you need.

Definitely not the answer I was expecting, but based on that I think I might just get a new ipad and also use my existing computer, which is a couple years old but still gets the job done. I'm really curious to hear what everyone else has to say though! I've been pondering this for awhile too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Send PM

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5