Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best Canadian School for Consultancy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

Best Canadian School for Consultancy [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 22:01
Hi Guys,

I have researched a lot over Gmat Club and other forums for which school is the best for pursuing consultancy(especially IT) as a future career.
What i've understood is that Queen's, Rotman and Ivey is the favourite among the list. ( Even Schulich is in that list but people have some negativity about its location and admission process).

Can we a little discussion about career oppurtunities other than Finance in these above mentioned school ?
Any inputs would be really helpful.

Regards.

Appreciation in KUDOS please!
Knewton Free Test 10/03 - 710 (49/37)
Princeton Free Test 10/08 - 610 (44/31)
Kaplan Test 1- 10/10 - 630
Veritas Prep- 10/11 - 630 (42/37)
MGMAT 1 - 10/12 - 680 (45/34)

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: CEIBS '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Best Canadian School for Consultancy [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2012, 11:02
krishnasty wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have researched a lot over Gmat Club and other forums for which school is the best for pursuing consultancy(especially IT) as a future career.
What i've understood is that Queen's, Rotman and Ivey is the favourite among the list. ( Even Schulich is in that list but people have some negativity about its location and admission process).

Can we a little discussion about career oppurtunities other than Finance in these above mentioned school ?
Any inputs would be really helpful.

Regards.

Hi krishnasty,

McGill and HEC Montreal are very strong for IT Consulting. One of the largest IT Consulting firms in North America, CGI Group ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGI_Group ), is based in Montreal and is always recruiting MBA graduates from those 2 schools.

Good luck!
Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Best Canadian School for Consultancy [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 21:52
Rotman does have a lot of graduates move on to large, more high-end firms, like Bain and BCG. Schulich has a very strong focus on consulting throughout the program and provides a lot of 'forced experience' in the area as you do a capstone project where you assume a consultant's role for a business in Toronto or Israel. They also have two student run consulting firms in the MBA program. The big recruiters from Schulich are Deloitte and E&Y.

From what I understand, Ivey is strong in consulting as well. I don't know enough about Queen's to provide any kind of feedback.

Consulting is always a huge focus for any MBA program and I can tell you that large firms recruit from the three 'Toronto' schools (Ivey, Schulich, Rotman). Coming from personal experience, I can tell you Schulich's main focus is consulting, but all three have a good reputation for getting MBAs into consulting roles.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Best Canadian School for Consultancy [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 09:28
I am not sure how it is for the MBA programs, but for undegrad Ivey has the best reputation for consulting.

University of Toronto and Rotman have a much more academic reputation. For example, I heard that at Ivey they get a week of for recruitment. No such thing at UofT. On the other hand U of T has probably the best engineering/Computer Science deparment out of them.

No idea about Schulich.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 8

Re: Best Canadian School for Consultancy [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
Ivey has massive rep with consulting firms, specially with their case-study approach. And they do follow traditional recruitment options like career fairs & recruitment drives (unlike Rotman, where I've been told they focus more on hosting networking events).

Not sure about Schulich though, have not been able to get a hold of anyone from there really. Just pick up tid bits here and there.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Best Canadian School for Consultancy [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 22:40
I've heard good things about Ivey and Rotman for consulting. However, you should check out the specific career reports from each school. Also note that since Ivey is a one-year program, it may not be suited for a career switcher. Talk to admissions or a current student who graduated from those programs and are in consulting. They'll be able to give you a much better picture.

Also, look at Sauder. It usually doesn't have as good a reputation as Rotman/Ivey (due to location, I guess), but places well in consulting in the BC area. Also, Vancouver is becoming something of a hub for tech startups (from what I'm reading), so that might be taken into consideration as well.
Re: Best Canadian School for Consultancy   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2012, 22:40