Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 03:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

best fit MBA in Finance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

best fit MBA in Finance [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 22:15
I am planning to apply for MBA, major in Finance. I have been overloaded by abundant information related to ranks, international reputation, financial aid...in internet resources and got confused to choose which uni to attend.
I am now a banker, have experience with risk management regulation such as Basel, have some published research and GMAT (700),TOEFL (97), GPA over 3.4 Could you recommend schools (aside from top 10 schools) that best fit my profile (arranged from best to worst in my priority):

- Goood international reputation for finance
- Have many financial aids
- The weather is not so harsh ( I come from Vietnam so)
- Beautiful campus
- Few Asian students

I really appreciate your help!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 403 [0], given: 239

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: best fit MBA in Finance [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 22:30
Expert's post
That's a really subjective wide net. For international reputation alone, you're probably aiming for a Top 15 school; however, some schools may be more well known in Vietnam than in other countries (for example, Ivy League schools vs Darden/Duke/Michigan). If you're looking to return to Vietnam or another Asian country post-graduation, you'll have to prioritize schools accordingly.

Beautiful campus is a personal choice. Have you been to the US to visit schools? Are you going to enjoy a more rural school like Cornell/Darden or something in the city like Columbia or NYU? Even so, Columbia has more of a campus whereas NYU uses the city as its campus -- you might like that or not and think that's beautiful or not; we can't tell you that.

I didn't get into school specifics here, but good luck with your research.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: best fit MBA in Finance [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 00:21
aerien wrote:
That's a really subjective wide net. For international reputation alone, you're probably aiming for a Top 15 school; however, some schools may be more well known in Vietnam than in other countries (for example, Ivy League schools vs Darden/Duke/Michigan). If you're looking to return to Vietnam or another Asian country post-graduation, you'll have to prioritize schools accordingly.

Beautiful campus is a personal choice. Have you been to the US to visit schools? Are you going to enjoy a more rural school like Cornell/Darden or something in the city like Columbia or NYU? Even so, Columbia has more of a campus whereas NYU uses the city as its campus -- you might like that or not and think that's beautiful or not; we can't tell you that.

I didn't get into school specifics here, but good luck with your research.

Thank you so much aerien! Lets me make my idea clearer

1. Strong background in Finance (at least in US students' eyes)
2. Have many financial aids
3. The weather is not so harsh
4. Few Asian students

Top 15 schools, of course, are my dreams but I strongly focus on financial aids as one essential criteria since I cannot afford tuition and hardly gain scholarship from these top schools. So I may look other options in top 20-40 schools to get financial aids. Could you please recommend some options based on my basic background?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 625

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: best fit MBA in Finance [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 04:27
Are you saying you WANT a school with few Asian students or you DON'T want a school with few Asian students?
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: best fit MBA in Finance [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 17:16
I think you may need to improve your TOEFL score to be more competitive at top schools. From what I've understood, the average is around 110 and most people don't score below 100.

Here's us news perspective on finance speciality: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... e-rankings

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: best fit MBA in Finance [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 23:37
As you are a banker, i would suggest you to go for an online mba whereby you can work while you are studying. NIBM is a prestigious institute in the country which provides online and other correspondence courses. The courses are ISO 9001:2008 certified and accredited by IAO, USA.
Re: best fit MBA in Finance   [#permalink] 27 May 2013, 23:37