Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 07:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best GMAT Books - 2012

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 22:24
Thanks for share best GMAT Books-2012 .
really helpful thread for me.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 16:24
Hi, I am new here and start preparing TOEFL & GMAT Test.
I plan to get books listed below for each test. Hope to any advise if this is sufficient.

GMAT Preparation
1) Official guide for GMAT Review 12th ed
2) Manhattan GMAT set of 8 strategy Guides

TOEFL
1) The official guide for TOEFL Ibt

Meanwhile, I am looking for used book for re-sell. Anyone??

Thanks
LM
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 04:26
This GMAT books are awesome but i have some collection of gmat, TOEFL,cat sample papers for our aspirants which would be useful to everyone if anyone interested then feel free to reply me.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 11989
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2135

Kudos [?]: 7299 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 06:40
Expert's post
Hey guys, you are welcome to post your ads for buying or selling books here: buy-sell-books-and-find-study-groups-4/
Let's keep this thread clean.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2012
Posts: 339
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 22:57
Which book will you guys recommend, for practicing 700+ (score) Quant question which accurately simulate those that appear on the GMAT... I have been recommended KAPLAN 800 , and MGMAT advanced math book .. Any other book that discusses strategies and provides practice sets for that level of difficulty??
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 03:36
Hi,
Have been trying to figure out a final list of books to get started with my prep for the GMAt 2013. Would appreciate if any of you could simply list out a comprehensive set of books that would be sufficient to get started with and then may be move on to advanced levels of practice. For now, I am looking for just the basics that will help me get into the groove.
1. GMAT OG - 12th Edition (already have this one)
2. a good book for verbal
3. A good book for Quants

Thanks in Advance. :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 05:41
Great Post BB, I used this post a lot in deciding on my prep materials and it paid off!

Thanks,

Jordan
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2012
Posts: 339
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 08:52
terrence wrote:
Hi,
Have been trying to figure out a final list of books to get started with my prep for the GMAt 2013. Would appreciate if any of you could simply list out a comprehensive set of books that would be sufficient to get started with and then may be move on to advanced levels of practice. For now, I am looking for just the basics that will help me get into the groove.
1. GMAT OG - 12th Edition (already have this one)
2. a good book for verbal
3. A good book for Quants

Thanks in Advance. :)


For starters buy the Manhattan GMAT set of books, That will be more than enough to start of with and covers both Quant and Verbal. If you do not want to start with the MGMAT set , then buy the MGMAT Number properties book, Geometry book, Word problems book for quant and in addition buy the KAPLAN PREMIER.

For Verbal read the KAPLAN PREMIER and finish it, if you think that you need more help then buy the MGMAT SC/Powerscore SC Bible and Power SCORE CR Bible ..

If you want only ONE BOOK to start off with i would recommend the KAPLAN PREMIER...Finish the entire book and then try to take a diagnostic test to find out your weak areas and then concentrate on those particular aspects from the specialty books mentioned (both by me as well as by BB in the original post) .
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 22:06
Thanks for this thread .Nice information help for my study GMAT test.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 72
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Foster '15 (S)
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 21:26
Hi Folks,

I have just started preparing for the GMAT. I am planning to appear for the exam in Feb 2013. I do have the 13th edition OG but was wondering if I should order the complete strategy guide series from MGMAT. I am not sure if I will be able to cover all the material in the OG and MGMAT before Feb. I know I am weak in both Verbal and Quant after taking my first prep test on the MGMAT's website. So I do need to practice and learn all the strategies in both sections. I am planning to target a score of 700+. I am planning to study 1-1 1/2 hr every weekday and about 4-5 hrs Sat and Sun. I have found the free flashcards provided by MGMAT to be very useful. Any thoughts.

BTW I found the videos posted online for the 1M post celebration today very helpful. Thx a bunch guys. You have helped clear a lot of questions that a newbie like me would have and also made my work in searching for a good school lot easier. Kudos.
_________________

___________________________________________
Consider +1 Kudos if my post helped

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2012
Posts: 339
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 22:38
pikachu wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have just started preparing for the GMAT. I am planning to appear for the exam in Feb 2013. I do have the 13th edition OG but was wondering if I should order the complete strategy guide series from MGMAT. I am not sure if I will be able to cover all the material in the OG and MGMAT before Feb. I know I am weak in both Verbal and Quant after taking my first prep test on the MGMAT's website. So I do need to practice and learn all the strategies in both sections. I am planning to target a score of 700+. I am planning to study 1-1 1/2 hr every weekday and about 4-5 hrs Sat and Sun. I have found the free flashcards provided by MGMAT to be very useful. Any thoughts.

BTW I found the videos posted online for the 1M post celebration today very helpful. Thx a bunch guys. You have helped clear a lot of questions that a newbie like me would have and also made my work in searching for a good school lot easier. Kudos.


Hi,

I have very NO quant background ( Am a pathologist) and started my prep in middle of september after having not touched MATH for almost a decade. Currently i am hitting between 42-44 in Quant Mock tests, and attribute it to the MGMAT set of strategy guides and Practicing questions from the OG. I seriously felt that as far as Quant is concerned MGMAT provides the most comprehensive guidebooks and has a FUNDAMENTALS book for pepole who have lost touch with Quant (like me). Now, 42-44 is no where near what i am aiming at for my QUANT (47-49) but comming from the background that i come from, i think i have done rather well in the 1.5 months that i have been seriously studying for the test (lot more needs to be done still) If i were you, i would dedicate the first month of my prep to going over the MGMAT supplements (completely doable) and then moving onto OG before tackling the tougher books.
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 72
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Foster '15 (S)
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 08:45
vomhorizon wrote:
pikachu wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have just started preparing for the GMAT. I am planning to appear for the exam in Feb 2013. I do have the 13th edition OG but was wondering if I should order the complete strategy guide series from MGMAT. I am not sure if I will be able to cover all the material in the OG and MGMAT before Feb. I know I am weak in both Verbal and Quant after taking my first prep test on the MGMAT's website. So I do need to practice and learn all the strategies in both sections. I am planning to target a score of 700+. I am planning to study 1-1 1/2 hr every weekday and about 4-5 hrs Sat and Sun. I have found the free flashcards provided by MGMAT to be very useful. Any thoughts.

BTW I found the videos posted online for the 1M post celebration today very helpful. Thx a bunch guys. You have helped clear a lot of questions that a newbie like me would have and also made my work in searching for a good school lot easier. Kudos.


Hi,

I have very NO quant background ( Am a pathologist) and started my prep in middle of september after having not touched MATH for almost a decade. Currently i am hitting between 42-44 in Quant Mock tests, and attribute it to the MGMAT set of strategy guides and Practicing questions from the OG. I seriously felt that as far as Quant is concerned MGMAT provides the most comprehensive guidebooks and has a FUNDAMENTALS book for pepole who have lost touch with Quant (like me). Now, 42-44 is no where near what i am aiming at for my QUANT (47-49) but comming from the background that i come from, i think i have done rather well in the 1.5 months that i have been seriously studying for the test (lot more needs to be done still) If i were you, i would dedicate the first month of my prep to going over the MGMAT supplements (completely doable) and then moving onto OG before tackling the tougher books.



Hi vomhorizon,
Thanks for the info. Have you tried using their verbal books and have found them useful. I know their math series is very good. BTW when are you planning to take your GMAT.
_________________

___________________________________________
Consider +1 Kudos if my post helped

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2012
Posts: 339
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 08:51
Fore verbal i have only purchased the Sentence correction book, which came highly recommended by one and all. I may go on to purchase their RC book as well given that i need 5-8 point improvement in my verbal section (from where i stand today). Their SC book is excellent and covers almost everything one needs for sentence correction. I have seen their CR book (5th edition) with a friend and it also seems quite comprehensive. For CR i am following the Power Prep Logical reasoning book (LSAT). I am planning to take the GMAT in the middle of February as i need some time off between May and August in order to take some Quant courses in order to boost my application (since i do not have a single quant course in my Undergraduate, and my doctorate).
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Posts: 1
Location: Germany
GMAT Date: 03-08-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 02:55
Hi guys,

I'm wondering whether I should buy the MGMAT 8 books (4th edition) or the newer one (5th edition, 10 books)?
I'm taking the GMAT in the end of February/beginning of March and haven't even started yet.

Would be great to hear a qualified response!
Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 72
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Foster '15 (S)
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 13:52
yalitan wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm wondering whether I should buy the MGMAT 8 books (4th edition) or the newer one (5th edition, 10 books)?
I'm taking the GMAT in the end of February/beginning of March and haven't even started yet.

Would be great to hear a qualified response!
Thanks in advance.


I am in the same boat as you are and planning to take the GMAT in Feb. I ended up buying the 5th edition as it also includes the IR portion. I have gone through their SC book already and have found it to be very useful. One suggestion would be to buy the set online. I found it cheaper at Barnes and Noble with free shipping than even Amazon....assuming you are in the US.
_________________

___________________________________________
Consider +1 Kudos if my post helped

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 12:00
Wish I found this forum earlier. Just got Kaplan Premier, wayyyy better than Princeton Review's "Cracking the GMAT", I really like the way they covered the Quant section breaking it down into problem solving and data sufficiency.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 09:00
I wonder which books are best for a total beginner, aiming for about 500-600?
Is the OG 13 enough, or do I need any more books, which ones if so?

Please be very specific in writing out the whole titles of the books that you guys recommend, since I am a foreigner!
Thanks
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Looking for a dream.
Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Posts: 18
Location: Italy
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 11

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 09:39
Tacoman wrote:
I wonder which books are best for a total beginner, aiming for about 500-600?
Is the OG 13 enough, or do I need any more books, which ones if so?

Please be very specific in writing out the whole titles of the books that you guys recommend, since I am a foreigner!
Thanks


I would recommend, if you need to review the basic of quant and verbal, to read "Foundations of GMAT Math" and "Foundations of Verbal" by Manhattan GMAT.

Then you have multiple choices: GMAT Strategy Guide (by Manhattan GMAT or Veritas Prep) or you can go through the OG questions. it depends on you level and how "rusty" you are. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2012
Posts: 339
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 19:29
Tacoman wrote:
I wonder which books are best for a total beginner, aiming for about 500-600?
Is the OG 13 enough, or do I need any more books, which ones if so?

Please be very specific in writing out the whole titles of the books that you guys recommend, since I am a foreigner!
Thanks


If you are aiming for a 500-600 score, and are good at covering material thoroughly you can pretty much get that desired score by purchasing 2 books in addition to the 2 free books provided by this forum (Grammar book and Quant book), and using this forum to practice hundreds of questions that are totally free . The books i would recommend are :

* Kaplan Premier 2013 : Covers EVERYTHING tested on the GMAT, has a reasonable amount of practice questions, most of which are easy to moderate in difficulty ( but great for those that are starting out)
* Official Guide to GMAT, 13 : As a question bank it contains hundreds of official question, and tests all the topics in quant, verbal and IR . Most of the questions are easy - moderate difficult but towards the end of each section their are a dozen or so 700 level questions.

Once you exhaust these books you can start practicing questions on this forum, and then take a practice CAT. If you are still short of the 600 mark you can perhaps target your weaknesses and acquire some of the more popular specialty books , SC book, CR book, Word problem book, Geometry book etc etc..Some of the specialty books i would recommend :

* MGMAT Sentence correction book
* Powerscore CR Book/MGMAT CR Book
* Veritas Prep Data Sufficiency book
* Veritas Prep Advanced Word Problems Book

I would recommend buying one MGMAT book and One Veritas Prep book from the lot, so that you can get access to 10 CAT's (adaptive practice tests) ..
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 12:40
Thanks guys for the recommendations!

Which Kaplan Premier book is the current one? It seems like we have different editions abroad, and I can´t find the one you linked to!
Is it the "Kaplan New Gmat 2012-2013 Premier" or "Kaplan GMAT Premier with 5 Online Practice Tests"?
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2012, 12:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Best GMAT Math book CJT 1 26 Jun 2013, 21:34
25 Experts publish their posts in the topic Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012 bb 41 07 Sep 2011, 20:38
Best GMAT Books Noctus 6 26 Aug 2009, 04:21
79 Experts publish their posts in the topic Best GMAT Books bb 368 12 Apr 2009, 00:10
Experts publish their posts in the topic Best Book for GMAT Preparation chitrakar12 13 16 Oct 2008, 23:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Best GMAT Books - 2012

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11    Next  [ 214 posts ] 

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.