Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best GMAT Books - 2012

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 19:44
Hi Everyone,

I wrote the GMAT last week and scored 540 - (Q42,V23). I only studied with Kaplan Premier, my target score is 650 - 700. Needless to say, I'm going to re-write and have lots of work to do!

I'm thinking of buying the following:
Aristotle Verbal Grail Combo - RC/SC/CR
MGMAT - Either the Complete Prep Set or Complete Strategy Guide Set (which do you recommend? It's a difference of $100)
PowerScore CR Bible
OG Verbal

Any thoughts? Thanks guys.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 18:07
Are these books reflective of the new test format that was revised in 2012?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 17:21
Other than the KAPLAN Premier, none of those particularly target IR
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2013, 02:14
Thanks for the list.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 659

Kudos [?]: 2819 [0], given: 882

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2013, 12:18
Expert's post
MGMAT improvised all their books (most improvement going towards the CR one). They also have an as awa+IR book.
Aristotle recently released their 3rd edition books. IMO they are as awesome as can be.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk HD

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 04:20
Do we need to go for both Aristotle and MGMAT for SC? Two books for the same subject. Does anyone have experience in both of these. Are they exclusive of each other.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 22:34
Hi all,

That is definitely a very detailed and useful analysis table. For me, I used Manhattan Gmat books, Official guide and Gmatpill. I highly recommend all these self-study methods.

All the best!
Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 20:42
Really nice post to make a strong discussion
thanks a lot bb...........
doing well carry on
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 134

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 06:47
Ksterr wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I wrote the GMAT last week and scored 540 - (Q42,V23). I only studied with Kaplan Premier, my target score is 650 - 700. Needless to say, I'm going to re-write and have lots of work to do!

I'm thinking of buying the following:
Aristotle Verbal Grail Combo - RC/SC/CR
MGMAT - Either the Complete Prep Set or Complete Strategy Guide Set (which do you recommend? It's a difference of $100)
PowerScore CR Bible
OG Verbal

Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

Check out my guide, but I think the Aristotle SC Grail and the PowerScore CR Bibles are must. Also try out the Verbal Magoosh (TONS of practice questions, ALL of which have video explanations). In my opinion, seeing someone SOLVE THE QUESTION IN FRONT OF ME is way better learning tool than just reading concepts and solving questions.

Also, from this day on keep a error log. This is extremely useful in getting better in SC.

Latest Blog Posts (Updated August 27)*
- What MBA Blogs does an MBA Blogger read?
- Introducing TheEngineerMBA

Check it out at http://grantmeadmission.com/

-------------------
Check out my GMAT guide: "How I got a 710 on my first try"
57 essay analyses available here: http://grantmeadmission.com/essay-analysis/

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.02
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 30

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 11:36
Anybody have any experience with Official Guide 9? Is it even worth it?
I am not trying to go crazy here but I really want a top score and I have a copy of it.

"Never, Never, Never give in."

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 152 [1] , given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 17:52
This post received
KUDOS
PeterHAllen wrote:
Anybody have any experience with Official Guide 9? Is it even worth it?
I am not trying to go crazy here but I really want a top score and I have a copy of it.

As far its official guide any edition is worth...But you may want to check 12 or 13 edition for some new questions..

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 11:33
Expert's post
From what I recall, OG 10 was a particular favorite. But OG 9 seems quite old. And while it wouldn't hurt to go over these questions, more recent editions are superior. If you want a strong performance and need more practice questions outside of the OG material, look into GMATClub tests (and forums), Jeff Sackmann, and Ariel Goldberg. Just make sure that you are comfortable with the OG questions before moving on to other, more difficult resources.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 02:09
Hi,
I am just starting up, I have finished KAplan premier Verbal section once but I am not really happy with the quant part.I have also bought, Official guide but havent practiced much as I don't want to waste question of OG. Now what should be my next step??
since,I am doing self study so I think My next book should be Manhattan series (8 strategy books) What do you think?.Also,can you help me and suggest me a good Quantitative book that touches all the topics properly with satisfactory explanation.
Thanks,
Shikha
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2013, 01:51
Hi Dear,
Official Guide for GMAT Review 10th ed book is really helpful for GMAT students many sample questions are given in it and all most syllabus are cover by this book
the best thing is it is very helpful to crack this exam in minimum time. and I also want to opinion about GMAT 2013 with 6 Practice Tests Book...
Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 00:23
Going through Aristotle SC. Very nice book. very clear explanation and classification of SC problems.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2014, 21:32
If you can afford it, buy a few of the major books - Prnctn, Kplan, etc. I found that when I looked at three of them, the areas on which they intersected were the important ones.
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 09:24
Expert's post
Hi all,

For 2014, the only book we recommend in conjunction with our course is the Official Guide, 13th edition.

You should only use this book once you have completed most of our program, as it is only a practice book and does NOT teach a student how to attack each question type. Our course already includes 5,000+ questions, so the Official Guide, which only has about 850 questions, contains fewer questions.The Official Guide does not always provide the most thorough explanations, so do rely on our lessons and techniques even if you use the OG. The point is: The Official Guide is an excellent extra resource. Use it in conjunction with our program, not as your main study resource.

Thank you,

Elizabeth

Liz
http://econgm.at/KvjVSi
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2014, 23:18
Hello BB,

i have started study since 3 weeks by the official guide 13th edition and then i found the "GMAT CLUB MATH book " where i found it very useful when i try solving question from the official book and really the note increase my ability so am just asking if i am on the good path and i can see all the posts are old so please if you do a favor and post new post with recommended resources and questions and what material must i buy ?

appreciated your advise

Mohammad
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2281

Kudos [?]: 8851 [0], given: 3669

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2014, 23:56
Expert's post
mohammadalsheikh wrote:
Hello BB,

i have started study since 3 weeks by the official guide 13th edition and then i found the "GMAT CLUB MATH book " where i found it very useful when i try solving question from the official book and really the note increase my ability so am just asking if i am on the good path and i can see all the posts are old so please if you do a favor and post new post with recommended resources and questions and what material must i buy ?

appreciated your advise

Mohammad

You have sent me this over a PM. Please do not double-post.
You should start here: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

Best Regards,
BB

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 24

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 01:12
Manhattan series is the ultimate for in depth knowledge of concepts !
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2014, 01:12