Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT Books - Latest Update [#permalink]
very useful post. Thanks for posting.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi BB,

I am aiming to get 650+. Planning to purchase the OG 12 and MGMAT guides. Do you think it is necessary to purchase the OG Verbal, OG Quant, and/or Kaplan Premier? If so, what is the justification? I am a newbie to GMAT so I want to ensure that I have my basis covered. Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I have been browsing this forum for a couple of days now and found that supposedly, there are a few books available which have the range of questions in the 750+ range. Can u please refer to me some of those books, if u have experience with them.? Both for Quant and Varbal. I will use Manhattan Guides for the basics...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Kansas,

in addition to Manhattan GMAT's strategy guides, in order to get some 750+ questions you can have a look at:

- GMATClubs Math Questions - seem to be a very good preparation for hard questions
- Jeff Sackmann's TOTAL GMAT Math

For Verbal I think MGMAT (particularly for SC) is the best you can get. It depends on your weak area. For Verbal you can rathermore think of some additional Grammar book as Doing Grammar or GMAT Club's Grammar. Both are frequent suggestions.

Regards!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
bgpower wrote:
Hi Kansas,

in addition to Manhattan GMAT's strategy guides, in order to get some 750+ questions you can have a look at:

- GMATClubs Math Questions - seem to be a very good preparation for hard questions
- Jeff Sackmann's TOTAL GMAT Math

For Verbal I think MGMAT (particularly for SC) is the best you can get. It depends on your weak area. For Verbal you can rathermore think of some additional Grammar book as Doing Grammar or GMAT Club's Grammar. Both are frequent suggestions.

Regards!

Thank u so much for the help. In the verbal section, how about referring to grammar books like Wren & Martin's High School Grammar and composition and Norman Lewis's How to read better and faster. I have seen people recommend them but am not sure whether they will increase my scores substantially..
And about the GMAT club Maths questions are there some more available other than the Maths tests.? I see some attachments but am not sure whether to use them..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-10-2012
Send PM
tstud20 wrote:
I just took the GMAT today and scored a 510 after a little over a month of studying. I had a 35 in Quantitative and a 25 in verbal. My ideal goal is 650+ but I need at least a 600. I am taking the test at the end of January. I did not use the OG guide 12 as much as I probably should. Do I need to use this material extensively and not worry about other materials or should I supplement the OG12 with the series of Manhattan books? The thing that I look at with the OG guide is that it is great for practice but it lacks strategy and I think I need a strategic foundation. If I get these Manhattan books and supplement with the OG12 guide can I feasibly increase my score by 90-140 points in a month of studying? Any suggestions by anyone? I'm open for all Ideas..I also have a subscription to Magoosh's online class...what would be the best way of studying to increase this score and what would be the best materials to use? I need help!!

I have mgmat and OG12. For practice Take the OG12. For Content MGMAT.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I will be going to attend the event which will be held in Bangalore for Gmat Quant Booster, By crackverbal and hope that i don't need any books for my Gmat perparation after that workshop.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm not planning to take the GMAT until after June 5th, but a classmate is going to sit it in April and so far he has been using the book Crack the GMAT. It was available in my university library, so I borrowed it to take a look at it. It is very, very basic. It is good to understand how the GMAT works and what is included in each part, but apart from that, I can only see it being useful for someone who has been out of college for several years, or who has studied an undegraduate in which no quantitative courses where taught.

For anyone considering to buy it, I'm pretty sure there's better material available such as the one recommended in this thread.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
gjrr4x1 wrote:
I'm not planning to take the GMAT until after June 5th, but a classmate is going to sit it in April and so far he has been using the book Crack the GMAT. It was available in my university library, so I borrowed it to take a look at it. It is very, very basic. It is good to understand how the GMAT works and what is included in each part, but apart from that, I can only see it being useful for someone who has been out of college for several years, or who has studied an undegraduate in which no quantitative courses where taught.

For anyone considering to buy it, I'm pretty sure there's better material available such as the one recommended in this thread.

gjrr4x1, are you talking about Princeton Review? I have just started praparing and I have this book so far.... It seems pretty simple but anyway good to warm up I guess)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AAngelica wrote:
gjrr4x1 wrote:

gjrr4x1, are you talking about Princeton Review? I have just started praparing and I have this book so far.... It seems pretty simple but anyway good to warm up I guess)

Yeh. Exactly. It's good for those who haven't done any maths for a few years, but useless for those who are currently in their final year of their undergraduate, or have been working for a year or two.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
I gave my GMAT in Feb and scored 570. I have done OG 12th Edition and few test from GMATClub. I am planning to retake my exam in the month of June or July again.
Will prepare thoroughly this time around.

Very helpful post BB. Thanks a ton.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
If any of you can help me confirm if this would be a good bundle (I am coming from prepping for the MCAT, so having everything in order is a downfall of mine)

Kaplan Premier - For general strategy and a good primer to studies
The MGMAT Set of 8 to review everything
OG 12th for additional real GMAT problems
Scattered gmatclub online tests as I find weaknesses

does that sound good?

I also have a TPR Hyperlearning verbal reasoning book that I bought for mcat prep but didn't have time to utilize. Would this help on the GMAT verbal?
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Kudos
Hi, miabullitt.

I think that it might be better to choose either Kaplan or Manhattan, but not both as they are comprehensive guidebooks. In other words, covering both would probably be redundant.

The OG 12 (or the upcoming OG 13) is essential, but the OG Verbal and OG Quant books are good too.

The GMATClub tests should be saved until later - after you completed your math guidebook and the OG material.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
I see

I mentioned the kaplan premier because it was listed in it's own row for general strategy. The MGMAT books also provide this? Sorry if I am a little green at this.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
miabullitt wrote:
I see

I mentioned the kaplan premier because it was listed in it's own row for general strategy. The MGMAT books also provide this? Sorry if I am a little green at this.

Yes, they do.
Kaplan Premier comes with 5 CAT tests, which is nice but otherwise, you will pick all of it up from MGMAT Guides.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
miabullitt wrote:

No worries! It does take some time to figure out exactly what's going on, though it seems that you're on solid ground. The Kaplan Premier, as bb confirmed, is a comprehensive study guide. The Manhattan series (all eight guidebooks) is also complete, though I would personally switch the Manhattan CR guidebook for the Powerscore CR Bible.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
MGMAT Advanced Quant and Total GMAT MATH are really challenging me ... great suggestions!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11