Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 00:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best GMAT Books - 2012

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 08:27
Hello--

I have OG 12. I am thinking buying OG Quant (possibly OG verbal as well). Do the questions in OG 12 and OG Quant repeat or are they mostly new questions?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 08:42
thank you!

I read that OG Quant is somewhat easy (compared to GMATclub tests and other things). I have all the MGMAT workbooks and am looking to supplement that studying with practice questions (since they dont provide many). I am thinking of supplementing my studying with OG Quant first.. before diving into OG 12 since OG Quant is easier. Thoughts?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2164

Kudos [?]: 7669 [0], given: 3627

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 09:03
Expert's post
thevenus wrote:
kaplan gmat advanced Vs kalpan gmat 800, which is better?

:-) It is the same book

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 09:10
bb wrote:
alanshore wrote:
Hello--

I have OG 12. I am thinking buying OG Quant (possibly OG verbal as well). Do the questions in OG 12 and OG Quant repeat or are they mostly new questions?

They do not overlap, so you are safe. However, they are easier in the OG quant (esp in the quant) and OG Verbal than in the OG 12

thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 07:10
Hi,

Quant is my main focus area. I am currently going through the Manhattan set of Quant books.
Which is a better book to supplement the practice for the techniques learnt from these books..Kaplan Quant Workbook or the Total Gmat Math?
Please advise.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 07:47
bb wrote:
Nomi wrote:
Hi,

Quant is my main focus area. I am currently going through the Manhattan set of Quant books.
Which is a better book to supplement the practice for the techniques learnt from these books..Kaplan Quant Workbook or the Total Gmat Math?
Please advise.

Two very different books.
Total GMAT Math is probably 3x the size of Kaplan Math Workbook.

I have used the Kaplan Math Workbook and I felt it was effective and a good balance but if you want the most coverage, Total GMAT Math is the way to go.

Thanks a lot bb. This really helps.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 19:53
Hi, has anyone used the REA GMAT prep book? I've used the OG 12th ED, Kaplan workbooks and Manhattan guides. I would just like to know whether REA is a good source for additional questions and practice.
Please let me know.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2011, 02:28
Expert's post
anshugupta84 wrote:
Hi, has anyone used the REA GMAT prep book? I've used the OG 12th ED, Kaplan workbooks and Manhattan guides. I would just like to know whether REA is a good source for additional questions and practice.
Please let me know.

Sorry, not familiar. I think you have had enough questions between all those books - you sure you need to keep practicing? Perhaps you should spend more time on studying the concepts and rules behind the GMAT questions?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 19:48
Hello ...

Can anybody please help me with old books [strike]or send PDFs for Aristotole SC and Power Score CR books.
Few days back I started my prep for GMAT.And decided to compelte SC and CR first.[/strike]

Edit: By BB
Warning Issued - this is against GMAT Club Rules
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 08:42
Expert's post
roshanivahora wrote:
Wonderful! books is very informative. i want to download this book what i do?

To download them legally, please go to Amazon and use the Kindle version (many of them are available in Kindle format).

Illegal downloads are against the GMAT Club Rules.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 11:32
I just took the GMAT today and scored a 510 after a little over a month of studying. I had a 35 in Quantitative and a 25 in verbal. My ideal goal is 650+ but I need at least a 600. I am taking the test at the end of January. I did not use the OG guide 12 as much as I probably should. Do I need to use this material extensively and not worry about other materials or should I supplement the OG12 with the series of Manhattan books? The thing that I look at with the OG guide is that it is great for practice but it lacks strategy and I think I need a strategic foundation. If I get these Manhattan books and supplement with the OG12 guide can I feasibly increase my score by 90-140 points in a month of studying? Any suggestions by anyone? I'm open for all Ideas..I also have a subscription to Magoosh's online class...what would be the best way of studying to increase this score and what would be the best materials to use? I need help!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 00:52
Awesome compilation :)
I have OG12, Kaplan Premier, PR2011, MGMAT Verbal,

But guess to improve my Verbal shall need OG Verbal 2 - shall try to buy that...
Anyone traveling from anywhere to Qatar ??? :p

Going One More Round When You Don't Think You Can...
That's What Makes all the Difference in Life - Rocky

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 13

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 21:38
I have been trying to find reviews of the kindle versions of Manhattan GMAT vs the print versions, no avail....

is it harder to check answers on kindle? what are the disadvantages or annoyances? are there still lots of error problems in kindle versions? a robust dialogue about print vs e-edition would be especially relevant these days, as I suspect the majority of investors are contemplating the same edition choice I am...
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 22:31
Expert's post
cole2012 wrote:
I have been trying to find reviews of the kindle versions of Manhattan GMAT vs the print versions, no avail....

is it harder to check answers on kindle? what are the disadvantages or annoyances? are there still lots of error problems in kindle versions? a robust dialogue about print vs e-edition would be especially relevant these days, as I suspect the majority of investors are contemplating the same edition choice I am...

Yes, it is harder to flip pages/check answers.
I believe errors are minimized. Originally they were only related to the display issues that Kindle has with some of the formulas. Last I've heard was 99% of it was good and just a few discrepancies.

We have the Interactive version of only the MGMAT SC on the iPhone toolkit and that has answers built into it so no flipping is required and you keep track of your progress/timing in the book. (still $9.99 but the app costs $25).

I don't think it is much worse to get the Kindle version from accuracy perspective but I do find studying with the screen harder, even if it is iPad and not a PC.

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 13

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 22:38
so you personally, bb, gun to your head, if you had to do it all again right now, would buy print on all 8 mgmats and do it all old-school? i'm at the point of sale and am really quite torn....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 00:25
very useful post. Thanks for posting.

Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2012, 10:02
Hi BB,

I am aiming to get 650+. Planning to purchase the OG 12 and MGMAT guides. Do you think it is necessary to purchase the OG Verbal, OG Quant, and/or Kaplan Premier? If so, what is the justification? I am a newbie to GMAT so I want to ensure that I have my basis covered. Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2012, 01:07
I have been browsing this forum for a couple of days now and found that supposedly, there are a few books available which have the range of questions in the 750+ range. Can u please refer to me some of those books, if u have experience with them.? Both for Quant and Varbal. I will use Manhattan Guides for the basics...
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 247

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2012, 03:54
Hi Kansas,

in addition to Manhattan GMAT's strategy guides, in order to get some 750+ questions you can have a look at:

- GMATClubs Math Questions - seem to be a very good preparation for hard questions
- Jeff Sackmann's TOTAL GMAT Math

For Verbal I think MGMAT (particularly for SC) is the best you can get. It depends on your weak area. For Verbal you can rathermore think of some additional Grammar book as Doing Grammar or GMAT Club's Grammar. Both are frequent suggestions.

Regards!

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2012, 06:09
bgpower wrote:
Hi Kansas,

in addition to Manhattan GMAT's strategy guides, in order to get some 750+ questions you can have a look at:

- GMATClubs Math Questions - seem to be a very good preparation for hard questions
- Jeff Sackmann's TOTAL GMAT Math

For Verbal I think MGMAT (particularly for SC) is the best you can get. It depends on your weak area. For Verbal you can rathermore think of some additional Grammar book as Doing Grammar or GMAT Club's Grammar. Both are frequent suggestions.

Regards!

Thank u so much for the help. In the verbal section, how about referring to grammar books like Wren & Martin's High School Grammar and composition and Norman Lewis's How to read better and faster. I have seen people recommend them but am not sure whether they will increase my scores substantially..
And about the GMAT club Maths questions are there some more available other than the Maths tests.? I see some attachments but am not sure whether to use them..
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2012, 06:09