Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best GMAT Books - 2012

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [1] , given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 14:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi, miabullitt.

I think that it might be better to choose either Kaplan or Manhattan, but not both as they are comprehensive guidebooks. In other words, covering both would probably be redundant.

The OG 12 (or the upcoming OG 13) is essential, but the OG Verbal and OG Quant books are good too.

The GMATClub tests should be saved until later - after you completed your math guidebook and the OG material.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 18:05
I see

I mentioned the kaplan premier because it was listed in it's own row for general strategy. The MGMAT books also provide this? Sorry if I am a little green at this.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9436 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 18:41
Expert's post
miabullitt wrote:
I see

I mentioned the kaplan premier because it was listed in it's own row for general strategy. The MGMAT books also provide this? Sorry if I am a little green at this.

Yes, they do.
Kaplan Premier comes with 5 CAT tests, which is nice but otherwise, you will pick all of it up from MGMAT Guides.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 19:15
Expert's post
miabullitt wrote:

No worries! It does take some time to figure out exactly what's going on, though it seems that you're on solid ground. The Kaplan Premier, as bb confirmed, is a comprehensive study guide. The Manhattan series (all eight guidebooks) is also complete, though I would personally switch the Manhattan CR guidebook for the Powerscore CR Bible.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 10:48
MGMAT Advanced Quant and Total GMAT MATH are really challenging me ... great suggestions!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2012, 17:53
I went through the Manhattan Books, went through Powerscore CR and OG guide 12 as well as some Veritas Books and it is too much to do two sets of guides.

This is my own opinion but I feel that I've wasted too much time on strategy and not enough time practicing and timing my responses. The GMAT is a completely different beast from regular exams. It definitely helps to know your foundation math and grammar but most people don't even finish the exam. I can get all the math answers if I take 5 mins each. You really need to get the feeling for how 2 minutes feel without looking at the clock.

I like the Manhattan guides for the Quant section and the Veritas guides for the Verbal Section. I think the OG guide is very necessary for real question examples but is horrible in explaining the answers. I thought the Powerscore for CR is pretty useless. I brought the PS CR book because GMATclub users really recommend it but in the end, it pretty much tells me what I've already been doing subconsciously and a lot of the methods/strategies are time consuming and hard to apply for the 100 seconds you have for each question. I usually get most of my CR questions right so maybe I'm not a candidate for the book. I feel there really isn't a very good Reading Comprehension book or I haven't found it.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 07:31
theres a new edition of manhattan gmat coming out this month, does anyone know which OG guide this will reference?

http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Complet ... 939&sr=8-1
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 04:04
What a funny user name big4?

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northeastern (A)
GMAT 1: 550 Q26 V36
GPA: 2.89
WE: Real Estate (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 13:21
Is there a forum for worse GMAT prep book? Somebody should starts one.

Princeton Cracking the GMAT should be listed there.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 01:36
nova math bible will also be at the top in the worst list
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 17:34
Sorry if this has been asked before (I did attempt to find a response through the search function to no avail, suprisingly).

Given, the changes to the GMAT, do the recommended GMAT books change as well? What books would best serve to aide in studying for the new section? And is there a large shift to the new Manhattan set of books? (I purchased the 4th Edition set, just last year without realizing the changes in store).

Thanks for your help!
Manager
Manager

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 22:10
@poppedcolla

The new official guide has been released - OG 13

Manhattan has also updated their books..5th edition

You can check them out at their respective websites
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 10:30
I'm writing GMAT before June , is it worth buying OG 13 ?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 23:58
georgepaul0071987 wrote:
I'm writing GMAT before June , is it worth buying OG 13 ?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

you can get a handful of extra real-gmat questions if you buy OG-13. But buying it isn't essential as you will not face the IR section.
Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2618 [0], given: 696

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 02:54
Expert's post
rni wrote:
nova math bible will also be at the top in the worst list

i do not think so. In my experience their questions and explanations ( mostly the questions) are not formulated properly.

MGMAT is the worth material I guess

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 22:49
Guys, any verdict on the new books? I am planning to take the test in August, 2012.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 16:09
Hi everybody,

i am pretty new in the club and i got confused with so many different books.
i don't have any particular dead line so i would start and approach the exam in the best way.

a friend lent to me the princeton review, i didn't find it to usefull, to easy and whitout any detailed strategies.

my question is: what's THE BEST book to start with?
the one which can help me with the most efective strategies?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 18:11
This post received
KUDOS
maffo wrote:
Hi everybody,

i am pretty new in the club and i got confused with so many different books.
i don't have any particular dead line so i would start and approach the exam in the best way.

a friend lent to me the princeton review, i didn't find it to usefull, to easy and whitout any detailed strategies.

my question is: what's THE BEST book to start with?
the one which can help me with the most efective strategies?

I would try and get the MGMAT set this will provide you with everything you need. The math is very good covered well in the 5 books. The sentence correction book is also very good. I did not really use the reading comprehension book or critical reasoning book as I used the CR Powerscore book, which is very good and highly recommend! This set will take a while to go through and you will need OG 12 or 13 to maximize the practice but it is a great complete set.

You could probably get a used set of Mgmat 4th edition cheap and then just purchase the IR book cause you will have to take the gmat with IR after June 5th and purchasing the book new will give you 5 Mgmat CAT tests which will be very helpful.

Also the Gmat grammar book will be free coming up I think the date is June 5th or earlier. It is extra help I would try it out. There is also some other new resources coming on June 5th so stay posted.

Best of luck

Thanks = +1 Kudos

Study from reliable sources!!

Thursdays with Ron: http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

Gmat Prep Questions:
CR gmatprepsc-105446.html
SC gmatprepsc-105446.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 22:54
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anybody could help me. I am planning on taking the GMAT. I graduated from college in 2001 (Auburn University). I have been working in my field as an accountant since then. I have reached a point in my career where I can't go any higher. I have been wanting to go to graduate school for quite some time but due to personal issues this hasn't been possible until now (father killed by a water spout, mother diagnosed with cancer, and my grandmother recently passed away). I want to give myself at least four months to prepare for this particular exam because it has been so long since I have taken an exam such as this. I have decided that I want to take the self study approach but I can't settle on which books I should purchase to prepare for the exam. I was considering the Princeton Review book (Cracking the new Gmat 2012 w/DVD and ordering the OG (most recent version. I have also thought about purchasing the PR math workout book and the verbal workout book. How does the PR compare to Veritas and the Manhattan prep books. I have also considered the Kaplan prep books and the powerscore books. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I have been looking at reviews online for several days and I am having a very hard time deciding. My goal is to try and hit above 700. With all of the options out there how does one decide on the correct prep materials for self study? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 23:39
OG 13 ...MGMAT set of 8 books...Kaplan premium...OG verbal revw...OG Quants revw...MUST BUY ALL

Posted from my mobile device Image

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012   [#permalink] 31 May 2012, 23:39