Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best GMAT Books - 2012

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Followers: 268

Kudos [?]: 2298 [0], given: 692

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 02:54
Expert's post
rni wrote:
nova math bible will also be at the top in the worst list

i do not think so. In my experience their questions and explanations ( mostly the questions) are not formulated properly.

MGMAT is the worth material I guess

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 22:49
Guys, any verdict on the new books? I am planning to take the test in August, 2012.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 16:09
Hi everybody,

i am pretty new in the club and i got confused with so many different books.
i don't have any particular dead line so i would start and approach the exam in the best way.

a friend lent to me the princeton review, i didn't find it to usefull, to easy and whitout any detailed strategies.

my question is: what's THE BEST book to start with?
the one which can help me with the most efective strategies?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 22:54
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I was wondering if anybody could help me. I am planning on taking the GMAT. I graduated from college in 2001 (Auburn University). I have been working in my field as an accountant since then. I have reached a point in my career where I can't go any higher. I have been wanting to go to graduate school for quite some time but due to personal issues this hasn't been possible until now (father killed by a water spout, mother diagnosed with cancer, and my grandmother recently passed away). I want to give myself at least four months to prepare for this particular exam because it has been so long since I have taken an exam such as this. I have decided that I want to take the self study approach but I can't settle on which books I should purchase to prepare for the exam. I was considering the Princeton Review book (Cracking the new Gmat 2012 w/DVD and ordering the OG (most recent version. I have also thought about purchasing the PR math workout book and the verbal workout book. How does the PR compare to Veritas and the Manhattan prep books. I have also considered the Kaplan prep books and the powerscore books. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I have been looking at reviews online for several days and I am having a very hard time deciding. My goal is to try and hit above 700. With all of the options out there how does one decide on the correct prep materials for self study? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 75

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 23:39
OG 13 ...MGMAT set of 8 books...Kaplan premium...OG verbal revw...OG Quants revw...MUST BUY ALL

Posted from my mobile device Image

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 17:59
1. Very in-depth overview of every GMAT subject in 15 dedicated guides (each is 100-200 pages long)
2. Comes with a test simulation booklet and a basic math book for those who need extra help (MGMAT charges extra for these)
3. A gmat book for any subject, including probability, combinations, DS, etc
4. Has more practice questions (by far) than the Manhattan set
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-07-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 03:52
Whats the difference between strategy guide and Foundations of quantitative GMAT?

The strategy guide feels quite basic and also explain everything very clearly and detailed, is it worth buying foundations of quantitative? after all quantitative is my Achilles heel...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 11:35
Can anyone suggest me good book to improve quant topics - combination and rate/time/distance?

I aalready MGMAT SG and OG 11 and 13. However, when I practice tests I always get confuse.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

CAT Tests
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 17:12
Hello everyone

Honestly im totally lost :? . There are so many books and guides...i dont know where to begin. I been reading posts here for 2 days and im still lost.
Im planning to take the gmat in 8,5 weeks, but i will start in one week from now. Im planning to study for 9-12 hours a day.Here in sweden i will take my bsc in economics in couple of days and next semester i will hopefully take a bsc in statistics. My main questions is, wich books should i buy if i want a score at 710+...im screwed if i dont get around this number.
Im sure you get this posts all the time :oops: , but please i really need some advice especially now that the gmat is changed.

Best regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 36

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 20:41
Shadow88 wrote:
Hello everyone

Honestly im totally lost :? . There are so many books and guides...i dont know where to begin. I been reading posts here for 2 days and im still lost.
Im planning to take the gmat in 8,5 weeks, but i will start in one week from now. Im planning to study for 9-12 hours a day.Here in sweden i will take my bsc in economics in couple of days and next semester i will hopefully take a bsc in statistics. My main questions is, wich books should i buy if i want a score at 710+...im screwed if i dont get around this number.
Im sure you get this posts all the time :oops: , but please i really need some advice especially now that the gmat is changed.

Best regards

I agree that the message here is pretty ambiguous. It's a serious weakness. Let me make it easy for you. Buy the 8 MGMAT guides, the OG guide, and the OG Verbal and OG Math guides. Go through the plan as recommended in the MGMAT guides. Then once you're finished with all that, come on here and try the GMAT Club Tests. If you do all that, you will test at at least 95% of your maximum potential wherever that is. In terms of additional books, you could possibly try the Sackmann Challenge Sets.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2231

Kudos [?]: 8352 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 20:45
Expert's post
For ease of it, you can just OG 13 + the MGMAT Guides - that's what most do.

You can also add a few options such as GMAT Roadmap (I like this one)
Foundations of GMAT Quant if you need quant extra basics
Foundations of GMAT Verbal if you need verbal extra help
And that's it.

This is plenty for about 3-4 months. :-)
you an also add the Kaplan Premier (1,100 pages and 6 CAT's for about $40) but that's only if you need extra CAT's

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 01:19
Anyone using "GMATPrep® Question Pack 1" ? Is there any overlap between GMATPrep® Question Pack 1 and OG 12/13?
Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 03:37
Thank you vandygrad11 and bb for the very quick responses, im not used to that fast and good responses. I was wondering also if 10 hours per day for 7,5-8 weeks is enough and if should include more kaplan. When i looked in this forum i see that kaplan and the manhattan series are the ones people use and the must have of official guide.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 36

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 16:57
Shadow88 wrote:
Thank you vandygrad11 and bb for the very quick responses, im not used to that fast and good responses. I was wondering also if 10 hours per day for 7,5-8 weeks is enough and if should include more kaplan. When i looked in this forum i see that kaplan and the manhattan series are the ones people use and the must have of official guide.

Ten hours per day is unquestionably too much. Unless you are literally a sponge, then you won't be able to absorb that much information to the extent that you need to absorb information. Remember, the GMAT isn't about regurgitating formulas. It's about being asked a tricky problem, breaking it down into its pieces, and then applying the raw knowledge that you've absorbed. Obviously there's a diminishing returns argument to be made as well. After you've studied for about 100 hours, regardless of your plan, you'll want to have made sure that you studied efficiently. So, let's say you are studying for 8 weeks. Try studying for 20 hours a week to reach about 160 hours in total. That will be more than enough.

If you're not convinced, go here and scroll down to the section titled, "How long should you prep really?".

BDSunDevil wrote:
Anyone using "GMATPrep® Question Pack 1" ? Is there any overlap between GMATPrep® Question Pack 1 and OG 12/13?

Hey, this is a good question. You made me wonder the same thing. Tracked down the answer for you from here: http://www.mba.com/store/product-info.a ... GP-SHOP-02.

"Extend your free GMATPrep® software download with this pack of 404 questions and answer explanations: 200 Quantitative, 180 Verbal, and 24 Integrated Reasoning. This pack includes questions never before seen in any other GMAT® exam product."
Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 03:33
vandygrad11:

I see what you meen. The issue for me is that its my first time and i really need to score 700+, thats why im so in to studying like a maniac. But you got a solid point there, im just very nervous about the exam and the amount of materials you have to go through. The most important thing is to be productive. My study plan was to start very early, at like 07.00-08.00, finish by 17.00-18.00 and right after hit the gym ( to clear my mind) and then relax for the rest of the day. But i will shorten it and be as productive as i can. Just gonna find a good study schedule for the next 8 weeks and then start the whole process with a prep test to see where i stand.
Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 03:51
I will do the first free test in the next fews days. Never tried the GMAT before.
I have a quick question, on a similar note as the previous poster.

What's best amongst these options?

1. The Manhattan Complete Prep Set, USD290
2. The Premium GMAT Study Collection, USD 264
3. The Manhattan Complete Prep Set, USD290 + The GMAT OnDemand Study Collection, USD185
4. The Manhattan Complete Strategy Guide, USD192 + The GMAT OnDemand Study Collection, USD185

...or other packages/combinations

Thanks!

(I quoted the official RRPs, they might be cheaper somewhere else)
Manager
Manager
GPA: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 08:10
buy from amazon - a lot cheaper

BTW has anyone tried PR's new 1037 questions book? Is that any good?
Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 13:11
Right, in addition to my question above...Here's another one.

Looks like the Manhattan Strategy Guides 5th Ed. (which now comprises of 10 books) + the 3 Official Guides (Review, Quant and Verbal) are a must have. Do I need to buy any other book (for example to have more practice questions/tests/etc)?
Manager
Manager
GPA: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 23:02
buy sackmann's extreme challenge set, $25 I believe.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 05:53
Hello GMATclub!

I've been interested in taking the GMAT for a quite while and as I just finished my first semester of my BSc I thought it would be a good idea to start early with preparations.

The problem I'm facing is probably to find the best study plan for myself. I am worried cause I'm not from a country where you speak english and my math knowledge is very basic. That might require me to do some extra studying apart from the test-structure.

My question is therefore: Out of all the books out there, are there any that helps someone that's a complete blank paper to becoming ready? Or should I start learning the basics of math and english grammar before I start looking for a suitable GMAT test-prep book?

I'm sorry if my english wasn't understandable. Feel free to ask me anything to make my question clearer.
Re: Best GMAT Books - 2012   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2012, 05:53