Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT Books [#permalink]
Thanks BB, so its basically the prerequisite material for the other 5 quants topics. Good to know, may get it as a refresher.

Indeed, no better way to spend a Saturday. I have a feeling i'll be spending quite a few weekends on this site! I had better get used to it. Thanks for the prompt response.

All the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
hello there

I'm new here (obviously) and I'm planning on applying for MSF in BC so I know i need a very high GMAT since it's so competitive
I did GMAT last month and got .. no one laughs please .. 490 ! :lol: :oops:
29th percentile in math ! :lol:
uhm anyway .. I studied from kaplan 2005 guide .. yes you heard right 2005 :lol: I didn't think there's much difference in the exam so I used my high school edition .. now I know better of course
I did however score 570 in the prep test a day before the exam (my laptop ran out of battrey so i missed 10 questions on the verbal section) but my chair broke during the quantitative section of the real thing and the pen ran dry .. it was a miserable day the only up side is that it wasn't as exhausting as i thought it would be

So I read the whole thread and what I came up with ..

I'll be getting MGMAT series + the OG books + foundations of GMAT math MGMAT + Kaplan GMAT Verbal Workbook

I'm more interestend in understanding and solving rather than guessing which was commonly used in the ancient kaplan I had

Am I good to go ? what else should I get ? Maybe a strategy book or something or are these enough ? I want a really high score as in 650 minimum
I'll only register for the exam when I'm done so I have as long as it takes but really no more than 3 months I get bored easily

PS : quantity or price is not an issue but I still don't want to buy two books that do the same thing !

Thanks for your help ;)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
FutureDr wrote:
hello there

I'm new here (obviously) and I'm planning on applying for MSF in BC so I know i need a very high GMAT since it's so competitive
I did GMAT last month and got .. no one laughs please .. 490 ! :lol: :oops:
29th percentile in math ! :lol:
uhm anyway .. I studied from kaplan 2005 guide .. yes you heard right 2005 :lol: I didn't think there's much difference in the exam so I used my high school edition .. now I know better of course
I did however score 570 in the prep test a day before the exam (my laptop ran out of battrey so i missed 10 questions on the verbal section) but my chair broke during the quantitative section of the real thing and the pen ran dry .. it was a miserable day the only up side is that it wasn't as exhausting as i thought it would be

So I read the whole thread and what I came up with ..

I'll be getting MGMAT series + the OG books + foundations of GMAT math MGMAT + Kaplan GMAT Verbal Workbook

I'm more interestend in understanding and solving rather than guessing which was commonly used in the ancient kaplan I had

Am I good to go ? what else should I get ? Maybe a strategy book or something or are these enough ? I want a really high score as in 650 minimum
I'll only register for the exam when I'm done so I have as long as it takes but really no more than 3 months I get bored easily

PS : quantity or price is not an issue but I still don't want to buy two books that do the same thing !

Thanks for your help ;)

Welcome to GMAT Club FutureDr

You have the right tools - don't need anything else.
See this discussion just in case you doubt that: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301

I would suggest you focus on learning how to use those tools and taking the most out of them (highlighted in the link above).
Take it slow and don't rush review today what you have done yesterday or a few days before. Spend quality time with GMAT, ignore your girlfriend, you get the point.

As someone put it - you must [strike]like[/strike] LOVE GMAT to really get a high score. You get away with pretending if you need a 600's (hence the girlfriend comment above) :wink:
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
For verbal, I want to put in a recommendation for McGraw Hill's Conquering GMAT Verbal and Writing. The main McGraw Hill GMAT book isn't that good. But the book I mentioned focuses on Verbal and actually gives very good lessons on grammar, etc. When I first got it and looked up reviews, I was a little disappointed and didn't think too highly of the book. But now that I've gone through it, I've found it to be much more useful than Princeton Review's Cracking SAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance (S&T)
Schools:Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
 Q41  V31
GPA: 3.26
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Send PM
Hi, thank you for all the advice you have give in this forum. I want to ask you about my particular case. I took the gmat i´ll say 3 years ago and got 590, a little better in quant than in verbal but overall it was almost the same. I´m not an english native speaker and had a hard time on verbal, as you can see also not very bright in math..... i plan to retake the gmat in 3 months or so but i´m having a lot of problems figuring out which is the best aproach to study. I can spend 1 - 2 hours weekdays and 3 - 4 hours on weekends. Please help me with the material I shoud get and the overall aproach to get close to 700. I believe i need to start with basic math and verbal and take it from there...... i already have the OG 11th edition and i´m thinking of getting the 8 books of Manhattan´s. Any advice?

Thanks
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gacarva wrote:
Hi, thank you for all the advice you have give in this forum. I want to ask you about my particular case. I took the gmat i´ll say 3 years ago and got 590, a little better in quant than in verbal but overall it was almost the same. I´m not an english native speaker and had a hard time on verbal, as you can see also not very bright in math..... i plan to retake the gmat in 3 months or so but i´m having a lot of problems figuring out which is the best aproach to study. I can spend 1 - 2 hours weekdays and 3 - 4 hours on weekends. Please help me with the material I shoud get and the overall aproach to get close to 700. I believe i need to start with basic math and verbal and take it from there...... i already have the OG 11th edition and i´m thinking of getting the 8 books of Manhattan´s. Any advice?

Thanks

Welcome Gacarva!
I saw your note on Amazon but have not had a chance to get back with you there.
You are on the right track - the 8 MGMAT books is a good solid program. Also consider MGMAT math foundations if you feel you need additional quant help.

Also, take a look at this study plan: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html - it should give you an idea how to approach those 8 books

3 months is a good timeframe - keep it up though it may get tough at time as you have quite a bit of material to cover.
Any questions, give it a search or post in the forum.

BB.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manhattan GMAT, though Kaplan is a close second.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey, new poster; I apologize for the paragraph of questions for my first post. I've spent some time researching the GMAT here; you have a great source of info on this site! I just have a few questions, I'd be grateful if anyone could fill me in. I took the LSAT last summer and got into the University of Minnesota for law school. I start in September, leaving me with a summer of work at a bank and not much else. Most law students I've talked to said it's not imperative to do anything but relax during the summer preceding entry, but with idle time on my hands, I'd really like to take the GMAT. I've got my eye on a J.D./MBA joint degree. My question is how much overlap does the LSAT and GMAT have? Critical reasoning and reading comprehension were my strongest sections on the LSAT, should I even bother with studying those sections? Are they harder, less hard or about the same as LSAT RC and CR sections? Are there any comprehensive books that would cover the most material...not necessarily completely in depth analysis, but brushing up in areas well enough to be able to score well? I figure I can research whatever I've forgotten (most likely quantitative) while nailing down what I haven't. I'd like to be able to buy perhaps 3 books: one quantitative, one verbal, and one with a boatload of practice tests. I self studied with a few cheap used books for the LSAT using a similar strategy with great success...will this work out on the GMAT? I really would like to avoid workshops and classes.

I realize these questions are most likely cyclically redundant on this website, so again, I apologize. Thanks for all of the helpful info thus far!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
Picked up a bunch of books. Looking forward to getting through them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
A great take on the set of resources necessary to do best on GMAT.
Thanks for sharing!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 540 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hi,

We all know that Manhattan GMAT Prep Sentence Correction is one of the best in the market.
But can anyone advise whether edition 2005 is as good as the latest edition?

Your feedback is much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
fir books..what about the guide companion from gmat fix?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
jakolik wrote:
Hi,

We all know that Manhattan GMAT Prep Sentence Correction is one of the best in the market.
But can anyone advise whether edition 2005 is as good as the latest edition?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

hey there, sorry I missed your post.
2005 is pushing it a bit and I would probably upgrade (also, these books rely on OG 11; not sure if you have it) - see this overview thread:
manhattan-gmat-books-3rd-4th-edition-conversion-tables-91671.html
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
soofialeem wrote:
fir books..what about the guide companion from gmat fix?

Are you referring to the OG Companion? MGMAT just released the same book that can be purchased online or in paper format:
photo-review-official-guide-companion-ogc-from-mgmat-94278.html#p725394
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yes I was wondering when it comes to the companion guide...I know there's two ...the MGMAT & the one by GMAT Fix....are they must haves?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
sosogmat wrote:
yes I was wondering when it comes to the companion guide...I know there's two ...the MGMAT & the one by GMAT Fix....are they must haves?

if you have issues with explanations (quant only; none of these cover verbal), then sure - it is valuable. Otherwise, it is a specialty book.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi everyone,

First off, just wanted to say this is an absolute amazing site and thank you bb for putting it together along with all the contributors.

I know this question has been done to death, it was kind of hard trying to navigate through the many pages of posts to find the answer I was looking for :? . However, any suggestions on which to go for - the complete Manhattan GMAT set + OG OR getting the all three OG booklets along with the kaplans and 1 or 2 Manhattan books?

OR ALL of them?? Aiming to score in the high 600's to 700+ if possible.

Thanks again,
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  18