Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [227]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [11]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Best GMAT Books - Latest Update [#permalink]
Kudos
BB,

Do you really find MGMAT Advanced Math useful? I am big MGMAT fan but I thought that this book was poorly written. I didn't think any of those questions were realistic. Unless you know the trick right away, you can't solve most of these questions in 2 minutes. I think its one of those books that appeals to people who are done with every possible question out there and now are looking for some additional practice. In fact I would even argue that even for those folks its a waste of time as none of them are realistic.

Just my two cents.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [2]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Kudos
You raise an interesting point, microair. I haven't used that book, but I did practice with Manhattan's Challenge Archive. I have a similiar stance with that product.

Advanced material should be beneficial when one is truly prepared for it. But there comes a point when the content becomes too complex and deviates from the original purpose of our studies.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank microair. Somehow my reply got away from me. I partially agree with you - please see my comments below:

Here is my perspective:
1. I did not feel that the MGMAT Advanced Quant was disconnected from the GMAT
2. I did feel that some of the questions were complicated, tricky, and hard (sometimes beyond reason but that's debatable)
3. What I saw the book test and the value it presented was offering questions I have not seen before and I felt that was very valuable as that happened to me on the real test
4. The questions were a combination of several easier questions (probability mixed with counting or work)

Definitely could use some improvement; however, at the end of the day, I don't know that I can recommend another book that could be addressing this specific need/element. The 700+ level material is so scarce and so new that I am not sure what else to suggest.

See this thread for a very detailed review of the MGMAT Advanced Quant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manhattan gmat's advanced treatment of math is much better and diligent than that of Veritas. Some of the questions in the advanced word problem review can be solved by grade one student. For example, question no. 89. However, Veritas reading comprehension and sentence correction guides are top of the line, almost as indispensable as the Powescore guides are for critical reasoning.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [2]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Bookmarks
Sorry bb but I do not see the nuance between this table about books for studying 2011-2012 and this one best-gmat-books-77703.html

I mean: where is the difference ??' I really do not see it

I follow the board steadly, and to be honest: I have purchased all these books, from 8 MGMAT strategy guides to math and verbal foundation, kaplan 800, grammar guide by gmatclub....and the three OG.

If I read the whole forum the result should be the same, I guess ahahha :). So I do not understand why this new classification.

thanks ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
BB,

I got the OG 12, i am trying to find the timer and the question type classifications that have been prepared. I have tried to search but have not been successful. Please help.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ckovvuri wrote:
BB,

I got the OG 12, i am trying to find the timer and the question type classifications that have been prepared. I have tried to search but have not been successful. Please help.

You mean this?
gmat-club-guide-to-the-gmat-official-guide-12th-ed-85956.html

or this: GMAT Timer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks BB, Found the timers BB.. thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the updated info but with the amount of books recommended I believe this would only lead to a brain malfunction :) It would be better to kep it simple and precise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 397 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I have purchased This Simulated Booklet. Anybody, can share me regarding the use of marker? Specially, How long does it work? do i need to purchase additional set of marker?
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [6]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Kudos