Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

best gmat preparation course in 30/40 days - urgent help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 2

best gmat preparation course in 30/40 days - urgent help [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 06:01
Hi ,

I would like to get some tips and advices about how to prepare for the gmat in 30/40 . I took the test recently and I scored 580 ( Q 48 / v 22 ) I have been preparing for this test in the last 3 months and I was scoring very well

MGMAT 1 650 - Q45/V35
MGMAT 2 640 - Q40 / V37
KAPLAN 650
GMAT PREP 1 - 710 - Q50/V36
GMAT PREP 2 - 710 - Q50/V36
800SCORE ( AVERAGE 5 CATS ) - 680 Q 45 / V38

So my practice test scores were pretty solid but I screw in the test day on my verbal strategy , I was wondering what is the best next step for me ?
Does anybody have can recommend something . I confess that i was not expecting 580 and looking at my scores on practice tests this 580 is definitely underestimated .
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 553 [1] , given: 5

Re: best gmat preparation course in 30/40 days - urgent help [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You will have to get an improvement in verbal otherwise you'll never see your score near 700 on the real exam. You should know that your verbal score is more sensitive to your overall score than quant -- specifically because so many people have imbalanced quant/verbal scores. If you do better in verbal by just a few questions, this will tremendously affect your score to the upside. 4 more verbal questions correct can achieve the effect of 8 or even more quant questions in terms of effect on overall score.

As you can see, if you scored 580 on practice test results in the 650+ range, then there is definitely time pressure on the real exam and your approach is not solid enough to withstand new questions. You'll need to practice and focus on speed and efficiency.

Learn more about the verbal strategy here in an article from gmatpill:
http://www.gmatpill.com/the-gmat-pill-m ... -strategy/

Regards,
GMATPill

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3787 [1] , given: 148

Re: best gmat preparation course in 30/40 days - urgent help [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 22:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
DTOMAS wrote:
Hi ,

I would like to get some tips and advices about how to prepare for the gmat in 30/40 . I took the test recently and I scored 580 ( Q 48 / v 22 ) I have been preparing for this test in the last 3 months and I was scoring very well

MGMAT 1 650 - Q45/V35
MGMAT 2 640 - Q40 / V37
KAPLAN 650
GMAT PREP 1 - 710 - Q50/V36
GMAT PREP 2 - 710 - Q50/V36
800SCORE ( AVERAGE 5 CATS ) - 680 Q 45 / V38

So my practice test scores were pretty solid but I screw in the test day on my verbal strategy , I was wondering what is the best next step for me ?
Does anybody have can recommend something . I confess that i was not expecting 580 and looking at my scores on practice tests this 580 is definitely underestimated .

Check up this write up on surprise low scores in verbal. That should give you some ideas: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/03 ... bal-score/

Also, how exactly did you 'screw up' your Verbal strategy on test day? Was it fatigue? Did you just 'not care' anymore? Did you not eat anything during your breaks? With a consistent V36, I would expect you to be at least above 30 in the actual test. It's not easy to explain V22. I would understand if you ask how to go from V30 to V40 but before you do that, you need to figure out what went seriously wrong during the Verbal section. If there was nothing odd about the test, you might want to rethink your strategies. Perhaps then, you need to start from V20 level and revisit all verbal concepts using some source such as Veritas Prep On Demand. Thereafter, you need to practice the strategies discussed.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: best gmat preparation course in 30/40 days - urgent help   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2013, 22:26