Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 18:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best GMAT Quant book after an average score

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2010
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 11:09
Hey folks,

First post here :-D

Last year, I did the GMAT (for a course I'm applying to next year, but I always think ahead), I got 590 which I was very disappointed with. The course I'm aiming for is the Masters in Management, at London Business School. I've been speaking to their admissions tutor and they advised I retake the GMAT. I did quite well in the qualitative element (scored full marks on the essay bit and high on the qualt stuff) however my quant let me down majorly. I think i got 37 correct.

I'll be doing my test in 2011 and I was wondering if you could hand-pick me some books focusing on quantitative maths in the GMAT? Books that would be available on Amazon (especially the UK)

Any help is always greatly appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1638
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 11:12
Expert's post
I used the MGMAT math series and recommend those. There are five books in total, along with free online access to six tests.

Just keep reading the guides until the concepts are firmly engrained in your head. Also pick up the OG books and look into the GMATClub Tests.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2010
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 14:32
Thanks for the post. Any other books/websites you guys can recommend?
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1638
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 06:12
Expert's post
For verbal, Manhattan SC and Powerscore CR are the top performers. I also found LSAT RC problems quite helpful. There are a few other websites out there, but trust me: this one is the best! It has everything you need.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 47
Location: United States (AL)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GPA: 2.4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 12:33
polboy wrote:
Thanks for the post. Any other books/websites you guys can recommend?


It may makes sense to ask, what did you use to study the first time you took the test?
_________________

"Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world"-Thomas Carlyle

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2010
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 12:40
Bigred2008 wrote:
polboy wrote:
Thanks for the post. Any other books/websites you guys can recommend?


It may makes sense to ask, what did you use to study the first time you took the test?


I studied the GMAT official book, 12th edition.

You know what the worst thing about that book? There were at least 5 questions in the examthat I could have sworn weren't covered in the book.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
User avatar
Status: Biting Nails Into Oblivion
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1855
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1391 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 13:28
The OG is only meant to be an indicator of what to expect and is by no means, self-sufficient in terms of preparing you for the exam.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2010
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 13:34
whiplash2411 wrote:
The OG is only meant to be an indicator of what to expect and is by no means, self-sufficient in terms of preparing you for the exam.


Quite right. Can't seem to find any suppliers that do the Manhatten guides. Any other books or online resources folks?
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
User avatar
Status: Biting Nails Into Oblivion
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1855
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1391 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 14:01
If you're looking at high level stuff, GMAT club tests are good

Posted from my mobile device Image
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 207
Followers: 100

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 20

Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 15:14
Hey, just since you mentioned Amazon I figured I'd chime in - my two favorite books for the GMAT are our Arithmetic and Algebra books (from the Veritas Prep series). The titles are basic but the instructional content is great and each book contains at least a handful of the harder problems I've seen. For people working on math in one-on-one sessions I get a ton of value out of those two books.
_________________

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 47
Location: United States (AL)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GPA: 2.4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 20:20
polboy wrote:
Hey folks,

First post here :-D

Last year, I did the GMAT (for a course I'm applying to next year, but I always think ahead), I got 590 which I was very disappointed with. The course I'm aiming for is the Masters in Management, at London Business School. I've been speaking to their admissions tutor and they advised I retake the GMAT. I did quite well in the qualitative element (scored full marks on the essay bit and high on the qualt stuff) however my quant let me down majorly. I think i got 37 correct.

I'll be doing my test in 2011 and I was wondering if you could hand-pick me some books focusing on quantitative maths in the GMAT? Books that would be available on Amazon (especially the UK)

Any help is always greatly appreciated.

Few other items, where in the UK are you? I just checked Amazon UK and they have Manhattan GMAT guides.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0982 ... d_i=468294



Also, did you get 37 correct or did you get a 37 for your Quant section?

What is your timeline, and what type of score are you aiming to get?
_________________

"Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world"-Thomas Carlyle

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2010
Posts: 4
Location: Mexico
Schools: LBS, HEC Paris, Richard Ivey, ESCP Europe, Duke
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 20:58
Hi, I'm new here.
I'm also interested in applying to the MIM at London Business School, what score did the applications tutor suggest you should have??
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2010
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 01:13
ame84 wrote:
Hi, I'm new here.
I'm also interested in applying to the MIM at London Business School, what score did the applications tutor suggest you should have??

She said 600+, but I got the idea that 650+ was more of a competitive course.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2010
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 10:55
Bigred2008 wrote:
polboy wrote:
Hey folks,

First post here :-D

Last year, I did the GMAT (for a course I'm applying to next year, but I always think ahead), I got 590 which I was very disappointed with. The course I'm aiming for is the Masters in Management, at London Business School. I've been speaking to their admissions tutor and they advised I retake the GMAT. I did quite well in the qualitative element (scored full marks on the essay bit and high on the qualt stuff) however my quant let me down majorly. I think i got 37 correct.

I'll be doing my test in 2011 and I was wondering if you could hand-pick me some books focusing on quantitative maths in the GMAT? Books that would be available on Amazon (especially the UK)

Any help is always greatly appreciated.

Few other items, where in the UK are you? I just checked Amazon UK and they have Manhattan GMAT guides.


Also, did you get 37 correct or did you get a 37 for your Quant section?

What is your timeline, and what type of score are you aiming to get?


Hey,

Ahh I'll get ordering them.

Sorry, I just checked. I got 32 on the quant section. My timeline is Easter '11, and I hope to get 650+. However, I heard that GMAC are creating a GMAT a new test in 2011. Can someone confirm?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 47
Location: United States (AL)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GPA: 2.4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 11:05
They are creating a new test but it won't be rolled out till June 2012



http://www.mba.com/community/MBA_com/b/ ... ation.aspx
They will be adding another section called integrated reasoning.

Good luck studying
_________________

"Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world"-Thomas Carlyle

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2010
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 11:41
Thanks guys for all your help. You'll be hearing a lot from me!
GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Accepting donations for the mohater MBA fund
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 1860
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 05:18
Refer to the math book thread:

best-gmat-math-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-77291.html
_________________

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2010
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 08:20
Out if interest guys, just how similar are the real GMAT questions from the practice GMAT test on your website. I've been going through the Math ones and the 700-type questions seem to be easy for me.
Re: Best GMAT Quant book after an average score   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2010, 08:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
BEST QUANT BOOKS WITH AMAZON RATINGS rajatjain14 0 20 May 2014, 10:41
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Best GMAT Books After Manhattan GMAT Toews2Kane 2 11 Apr 2013, 19:37
Best advanced Quant prep book? duuuma 9 03 Jun 2008, 12:47
Best Quant Book After OG11 Rubashov1 14 05 Oct 2007, 13:28
Best GMAT Quant / Math book? jay76 5 26 Jan 2006, 12:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Best GMAT Quant book after an average score

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.