Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 00:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Manhattan Review Sentence Correction Guide [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 12:52
I found Manhattan Review Sentence Correction Guide for free in their website. Is this the one that people recommend in order to improve SC skills?

Besides SC guide for free, doesn Manhattan provide other resources as well that I do not know about?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8211 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Manhattan Review Sentence Correction Guide [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 13:05
Expert's post
whatthehell wrote:
I found Manhattan Review Sentence Correction Guide for free in their website. Is this the one that people recommend in order to improve SC skills?

Besides SC guide for free, doesn Manhattan provide other resources as well that I do not know about?

There is a difference between Manhattan GMAT and Manhattan Review - two completely different companies....

The one recommended is the Manhattan GMAT SC

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 07:02
Hi. I need help in RC. I have MGMAT RC book (2005 edition). Would anyone recommend buying the MGMAT latest RC edition? OR there would not be any value in owning both. Any other advise on how to tackle RC more efficiently? Thanks a lot!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 08:23
Expert's post
chinaikchee wrote:
Hi. I need help in RC. I have MGMAT RC book (2005 edition). Would anyone recommend buying the MGMAT latest RC edition? OR there would not be any value in owning both. Any other advise on how to tackle RC more efficiently? Thanks a lot!

Probably not worth buying the 4th edition. I believe there has not been much change.
For me, RC required a more comprehensive approach than just using some strategies - I had to start reading a lot to train my brain to process tightly condensed information - see this post for details: GMAT Fiction. The other recommendation - follow the strategy for RC exactly and precisely. If you are out of practice materials, you can get Kaplan Verbal Workbook or PR 1012.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 08:52
thanks a lot! i have finished the OG11 and Verbal Review (OG). Now proceeding to RC 1000. Will try those books next.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 09:52
Hi BB,

What are the differences between the OG 12th ed and OG for GMAT Verbal Review ? Does the Verbal review book contain a high number of different questions to necessitate purchasing it ?

Thanks.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 10:17
Expert's post
brohan wrote:
Hi BB,

What are the differences between the OG 12th ed and OG for GMAT Verbal Review ? Does the Verbal review book contain a high number of different questions to necessitate purchasing it ?

Thanks.

The books are completely different and do not contain any overlapping questions.
OG 12 has 900 questions, and OG Quant and OG Verbal each have 300 questions. For best results, do not use these questions as your guidebooks or study materials - instead as a way to practice AFTER you have done preparing. See this post for details: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 11:34
Cool. Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 116 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2009, 15:36
This post received
KUDOS
Under CR, why is the powerscore LSAT Logic Games listed? :shock:

Their logic games won't help anyone AT ALL except for introducing one to sufficient and necessary clauses. Did you mean to put up the LSAT Logical Reasoning bible?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 22:50
Expert's post
bipolarbear wrote:
Under CR, why is the powerscore LSAT Logic Games listed? :shock:

Their logic games won't help anyone AT ALL except for introducing one to sufficient and necessary clauses. Did you mean to put up the LSAT Logical Reasoning bible?

Hm... I think so. Thank you!

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 09:08
hiiiii

i am new to board

there are many books for verbal ...can you plz help in choosing a verbal book from above list ?

English is my Third language so it is poor...so keeping that in mind which book should i refer ?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8211 [2] , given: 3641

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 14:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
chiank123 wrote:
hiiiii

i am new to board

there are many books for verbal ...can you plz help in choosing a verbal book from above list ?

English is my Third language so it is poor...so keeping that in mind which book should i refer ?

Here you go: top-gmat-prep-books-guides-reviews-comments-77703.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Suspended Member
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 10

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 23:21
thanks for the great inputs
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8211 [1] , given: 3641

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 00:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The Verbal Official Guide has been updated.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047044 ... 0470449756

GMAC came out with the 2nd edition of the Verbal Official Guide on 8/10.
I got one of the first copies. The book has 75 new questions compared to the first edition but looks like nothing else has changed. The first intro section is exactly the same. I have gone through the RC section - it has 5 new passages and it looks like questions have been replaced proportionately in each of the sections.

Attachment:
verbal og2.gif
verbal og2.gif [ 11.11 KiB | Viewed 41292 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 18:19
Thanks so much...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 13:00
THANKS ALOT.... this is great information
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg (Admitted), Chicago, LBS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 16:46
GMAT Club,

I think you guys might be able to help me: I've been studying for the last month and a half fro the GMAT, but would like to polish my "SC foundations" knowledge, as well as my Math and SC practice. Hence, I'm looking for three things:

1. The best "SC foundations" source (I'm a bit confused by all the different rankings)
2. The best (and hardest) Math and SC question collection books available

I'm aiming at a 720+ score, and have already covered the basics to a good degree. I need practice books that would really push me to my limits. I've already got the OG12, Kaplan's GMAT Advanced, Kaplan's Math Workbook and Kaplan's GMAT Premier. Would those 4 books suffice? Should I get anything else? Again, I'm aiming at a 720+, and the questions in all of those four books look fairly easy.

Regards,
Márcio Guilherme.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 20:12
This post received
KUDOS
Thought I'd chip in my 2 cents on verbal preparation:

1. It's going to be very hard to get a high score if you don't speak English as a first language (and even then, if you don't speak it well). I don't think there's any way around it. To compensate for this: READ everything you can as preparation for the GMAT. Read the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, google news, cnn... anything you can, so that the verbal section becomes a bit manageable. This isn't something you can prepare for in a month... it's going to take several months of reading regularly to improve your overall verbal (assuming you're a non-native speaker).

2. Sentence correction: Arguably the easiest part of verbal to improve in. The Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction book is a must buy, unless you're getting close to 100% right in your practice tests. It's not a terribly large book, and it's very easy to follow.

3. Reading comprehension: Arguably the hardest part to improve in, especially for non native speakers (see #1 above). I didn't use any specific book for reading comprehension. I did take several full length practice LSAT tests in the past, and those contained several reading comp passages. However, the LSAT tests don't give you an analysis of the right or wrong answers, so I wouldn't recommend them as a study guide.

4. Critical reasoning: I've been meaning to do a quick analysis on this because, based on what I've read, most 700+ posters on here have studied verbal using the LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible. The strategies they give are advanced, and many might be too advanced for the GMAT. However, I felt very prepared after studying this book, even though I studied it awhile back.

In my eyes, therefore, there are 2 clear "must buys" - the MGMAT SC and the LSAT CR Bible. One final word of advice - don't buy loads of different books in hopes of learning more than 1 strategy. You're going to waste a lot of time and in the end it probably won't help your score. If you're going to buy another book for extra practice problems - then that's ok. But don't forget you'll also have access to plenty of practice problems if you buy the MGMAT SC book (it comes with 6 free full length CAT tests and explanation of answers).

GMAT Debrief

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 08:49
Expert's post
Mario, sorry, did not see your post right away.
The 2 best books for SC are Manhattan GMAT SC and PowerScore SC

If you are week in grammar or English is not your native language, a good book many recommend is Doing Grammar.

For math, you can check out GMAT Club Tests - these are very hard math questions assembled as tests and also as target practice (Arithmetic, Number Properties, Probability, etc).

Hope this helps.

marcioguilherme wrote:
GMAT Club,

I think you guys might be able to help me: I've been studying for the last month and a half fro the GMAT, but would like to polish my "SC foundations" knowledge, as well as my Math and SC practice. Hence, I'm looking for three things:

1. The best "SC foundations" source (I'm a bit confused by all the different rankings)
2. The best (and hardest) Math and SC question collection books available

I'm aiming at a 720+ score, and have already covered the basics to a good degree. I need practice books that would really push me to my limits. I've already got the OG12, Kaplan's GMAT Advanced, Kaplan's Math Workbook and Kaplan's GMAT Premier. Would those 4 books suffice? Should I get anything else? Again, I'm aiming at a 720+, and the questions in all of those four books look fairly easy.

Regards,
Márcio Guilherme.

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 08:51
Expert's post
Shadowsjc - thank you for your thoughts as always - Kudos and appreciate it!

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations)   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2009, 08:51