Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 02:34
bb wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
Is there a recommended list of vocab to study for the whole verbal section? I did a little research and on the forum and it seems the one compiled by Manhattan is widely used.

Thanks in advance

There is not much of vocab. There are idioms, and you can find a very comprehensive list in the verbal section.
GMAC ran some statistics and they found that studying vocabulary does not help with GMAT score.

Cool, thanks again bb
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: isa.org
Schools: ISB, India.
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 11:50
hello guys,
Is "Powerscore.LSAT.logic.reasoning.bible" a good study material?
I came to know from my friend about the same but it is actually for LSAT.. can anyone pls throw some light on the usefullness w.r.t. GMAT?

br.

"Great people don't do different things, they do things differently"

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE: Other (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 21:23
Any word on the 2010 Kaplan 800: Advanced Prep for Advanced Students ... yes now we are back to 800 but still trying jam advanced in the title. Is this going to be a copy again or are they finally putting in new material.

Admit me and win an iPad. *conditions apply

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 16:41
I just got the Reading Comprehension Manhattan Guide and I learned so much about the section just from one read thru.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: USMA
Schools: Columbia, NYU, Dartmouth, Darden
WE 1: Army
WE 2: Consultant

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 09:57
Hi. I am a new poster and impressed by the info and the community.

I am leaning towards purchasing the 4th Edition Manhattan Prep Sentence completion for two reasons:

1) Access to the 6 CAT tests.
2) Pretty Solid in math and other areas.

Do I need the 2nd edition Verbal Review? I already have the 1st Ed.

Also does anyone know how long you get access to the CAT tests? If you buy them separately, you get them for a year. Just want to make sure.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: USMA
Schools: Columbia, NYU, Dartmouth, Darden
WE 1: Army
WE 2: Consultant

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 10:11
frankida wrote:
Hi. I am a new poster and impressed by the info and the community.

I am leaning towards purchasing the 4th Edition Manhattan Prep Sentence completion for two reasons:

1) Access to the 6 CAT tests.
2) Pretty Solid in math and other areas.

Do I need the 2nd edition Verbal Review? I already have the 1st Ed.

Also does anyone know how long you get access to the CAT tests? If you buy them separately, you get them for a year. Just want to make sure.

Thanks.

Ahh... I just answered my own questions.

"The Sentence Correction Guide takes the guesswork out of grammar by presenting every major grammatical principle and minor grammatical point tested on the GMAT. Don't be caught relying only on your ear; master the rules for correcting every GMAT sentence.Each chapter builds comprehensive content understanding by providing rules, strategies and in-depth examples of how the GMAT tests a given topic and how you can respond accurately and quickly. The Guide contains a total of 187 'In-Action' problems of increasing difficulty with detailed answer explanations. The content of the book is aligned to the latest Official Guides from GMAC (12th edition).

Special Features:

Purchase of this book includes one year of access to Manhattan GMAT's online Sentence Correction Question Bank (accessible by inputting a unique code in the back of each book)."

Thanks. =)
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [4] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2010, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
This is my review about Doing Grammar Vs Kaplan GMAT Verbal Foundation.
Note: This is from international student prospective.
Because am not a native english speaker, I needed a good book that can help me to build a solid foundation of grammar, so I started studying Doing Grammar and I found it brilliant. It really helped me to understand the structure of the sentence and how to dissect the sentence, so I really recommend this book for anyone who wants to build a strong base of grammar. Afterwards I thought I would give kaplan verbal foundation a try because it was highly recommended by a couple of people here and because it wouldn't hurt. From my prospective I don't think that this book is better than Doing Grammar, the kaplan book is good and it has alot of practice questions but it is not as comprehensive as doing grammar and I dont think that it would help to build a strong grammar, and it actually has minor errors.
My advice is Doing grammar is a must and if you have extra time purchase kaplan and read it, it wont take much time to finish it because you would already have a solid foundation from doing grammar, and because kaplan actually have chapters that are specifically useful for gmat, the nuances that can help you to understand the sentence more such as: the usage of a comma and when not to use it, and the usage of punctuation that can help you in AWA.
Hope this helps.....

Nanquam Fractum

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD - dinged; IE-admit; ISB - admit; IIMB-admit; SPJain- admit; IIM C- Admit, IIM A - Dinged after interview. Finally joining IIM B
WE 1: 3
WE 2: 2
WE 3: 2
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 9

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2010, 05:19
This post received
KUDOS
BB
can u pl suggest me the most optimum combination( without burning my shallow pockets) which i need for a 700 in 45 days.
GMAT 1-570 Q 44/ V 22 ( i messed up big time in timing the qs)
GMAT prep1- 630
Kaplan free test- 650
GMAT live- 690

ASHISH DONGRE
BE KIND & GENEROUS TO SHARE THE KUDOS...THE MORE YOUR GIVE THE MORE YOU GET

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 16

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 20:24
Hi ..

i ve done Manhattan SC 2005 edition 2-3 times along with Cliff's Grammar for basics but still my accuracy in SC is around 60-70 %... esp least in Modifier Qs....

Could u plz suggest any book...?? I am having Kaplan Premier Book 2009 ed but have not gone through it...

Should i go for Kaplan Premier Book or purchase Kaplan Verbal Workbook or purchase Kaplan Verbal Foundation or any other book which u recommend for SC specifically..?

Any book for RC too ..??

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 03:22
hello everyone

i want to ask u that how should i start preparing for the GMAT as i m new to GMAT so my knowledge base is very less. i want to know the books i should buy and start preparing.i want to score more then 720. i know it reqiures lot of hard work but on which things hard work should be applied. for both quant and verbal section please update me. right now i m going through the posts in this forum and i find all the people in this forum very informative.please help me.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 06:32
i have my exam on 22nd july ... I finished my OG12. I'm comfortable with quant but I'm not yet very fine with the verbal section. I'm planning to do MGMAT guides for verbal for the remaining days and an exam everyday in the noon ( my session for GMAT 2-6pm). What ELSE would you guys advice me to do?

[highlight]shiny[/highlight]

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8157 [0], given: 3640

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 07:47
Expert's post
ssowmya2108 wrote:
i have my exam on 22nd july ... I finished my OG12. I'm comfortable with quant but I'm not yet very fine with the verbal section. I'm planning to do MGMAT guides for verbal for the remaining days and an exam everyday in the noon ( my session for GMAT 2-6pm). What ELSE would you guys advice me to do?

I think that's plenty actually. MGMAT verbal books are one of the best. You can get Verbal OG to go with the guides for practice but it is not that hard...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 03:37
thanx bb...
how abt me sticking to mgmat verbal guides for the strategies and theory part, and doing MR verbal study guide for the practice questions??

[ countdown begins!! 7to go :( ]

[highlight]shiny[/highlight]

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 17:53
BB i found a lot of questions in OG Verbal from OG 10 & 11. So i'm not really sure if the book was worth the money (for me atleast since i have OG 10 & 11).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 02:53
gattupalli wrote:
Hey Where do you get this book in India?

elevinty wrote:
This is my review about Doing Grammar Vs Kaplan GMAT Verbal Foundation.
Note: This is from international student prospective.
Because am not a native english speaker, I needed a good book that can help me to build a solid foundation of grammar, so I started studying Doing Grammar and I found it brilliant. It really helped me to understand the structure of the sentence and how to dissect the sentence, so I really recommend this book for anyone who wants to build a strong base of grammar. Afterwards I thought I would give kaplan verbal foundation a try because it was highly recommended by a couple of people here and because it wouldn't hurt. From my prospective I don't think that this book is better than Doing Grammar, the kaplan book is good and it has alot of practice questions but it is not as comprehensive as doing grammar and I dont think that it would help to build a strong grammar, and it actually has minor errors.
My advice is Doing grammar is a must and if you have extra time purchase kaplan and read it, it wont take much time to finish it because you would already have a solid foundation from doing grammar, and because kaplan actually have chapters that are specifically useful for gmat, the nuances that can help you to understand the sentence more such as: the usage of a comma and when not to use it, and the usage of punctuation that can help you in AWA.
Hope this helps.....

I have no idea because I dont live in India

Nanquam Fractum

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 20:59
Is anyone here studying for GMAT is in Mnneapolis? Let me know if you need a study buddy for 1 or 2 days a week
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8157 [0], given: 3640

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 13:45
Expert's post
Nasir7 wrote:
Is anyone here studying for GMAT is in Mnneapolis? Let me know if you need a study buddy for 1 or 2 days a week

You may want to post this in this forum: buy-sell-do-4/

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 01:32
Two books which seem to be in the news a lot lately are SC Grail and RC99 . Having been reading great reviews about the book
760-q-48-v-46-think-i-did-the-gmat-101003.html ,
710-4-years-back-to-740-today-thanks-a-lot-gmatclub-103940.html ,
time-to-move-on-104079.html

Have also come across them subsequently on different forums. I bought the books and have found the SC Grail book to be really helpful for Sentence Correction.It lives up to the hype it has generated .RC99 has also been immensely helpful in my preparation as I have never been into the habit of reading and was struggling quite a lot in RCs. The book has 99 passages divided into three difficulty levels and though I am yet to do the high difficulty level passages ,but I have seen quite an improvement over the last few weeks.
Shovit

Last edited by shovitdhar on 10 Nov 2010, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 18:57
I haven't read powerscore but MGMAT SC lives up to its reputation. The reading comprehension book also very strategically maps out how you can tackle a RC question as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations) [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 12:58
I also find the MGMAT RC to teach very solid strategies. OG guide is obviously needed to train using the techniques learned and improve the accuracy.
Re: Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books (Reviews & Recommendations)   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2010, 12:58